IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been reading this forum for a couple weeks now.... Just broke 100 today for the first time. Shot a 94...with a 44 on the front nine. Rating from the white tees was 69.7/122. I felt like I was going to break it soon....my 3 previous 9 rounds were all 50s. Here is the funny thing.....I felt unsatisfied with my total score at the end of the round. Wonder if that's normal...always wanting to do better I guess.

Congrats on breaking 100! It is amazing when one beats their goal by 6 strokes but still sees where strokes were left out there. I love this game!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats on breaking 100! It is amazing when one beats their goal by 6 strokes but still sees where strokes were left out there. I love this game!

Ha yeah, I'm happy with the score...just seemed like I started missing a lot of makeable puts on the back nine.

One of the things I have to learn how to control is not carrying over a bad shot (putts) on the last hole to the next tee box....I also start calculating my final total around the 16th/17th in my head and this doesn't help either.

Welcome @DoubleTee on breaking 100 ... I am going out tomorrow and have HIGH hopes ... even though my range session was the worse one in a long time.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I shot a 55 last night. Two lost balls and poor putting. My drives where in the 240-250 range and playable out side of one where I put myself behind a tree not to far off the fairway. I was actually happy with how i played. I had no eights and wet sand caused 4 extra strokes on two holes which I am ok with because these were not mental errors i just did not know what to do. My main frustration was a playing partner who meant well but was non stop with coaching and tips. I love playing with people who are better than me but I was able to learn more from an older gentleman in our group who did not over analyze every swing but emphasized what went right in good shots and was very encouraging.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

I shot a 55 last night. Two lost balls and poor putting. My drives where in the 240-250 range and playable out side of one where I put myself behind a tree not to far off the fairway. I was actually happy with how i played. I had no eights and wet sand caused 4 extra strokes on two holes which I am ok with because these were not mental errors i just did not know what to do. My main frustration was a playing partner who meant well but was non stop with coaching and tips. I love playing with people who are better than me but I was able to learn more from an older gentleman in our group who did not over analyze every swing but emphasized what went right in good shots and was very encouraging.

I hear you on the "instructor" guy!  The main thing is you walked away positive.  Tomorrow is my round ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I hear you on the "instructor" guy!  The main thing is you walked away positive.  Tomorrow is my round ...

Good luck tomorrow, are you playing 9 or 18?

I will play 18 at a place called Pebble Brook ... its in a 55 and older community ... so when you hear the fire truck responding, you there will be an estate sale within 2 weeks.  :)

• Upvote 1

Work on wet bunkers. Atleast here in Florida it's almost always hard pan 3-4 inches under. Practice if they have a practice bunker. It will give you a better idea. Every course seems to be different.

I've been close to breaking 100 now for a couple of weeks. Best score is 103 so far. The problem is not the swing, shortgame or putting, but mainly bad decisions. When in a bad spot the urge to compensate with an ambitious shot is almost uncontrolable. I know this and last round I was well under way to break 100, but on hole 14 I pulled my drive out of bounds and pulled my second teeshot as well. Instead of chipping out I took a hybrid and tried to land it close to the green, over water, between bunkers from the rough. Smart play would have helped me here. I really want to improve my handicap from 27 to below 20 before heading out to Florida with the Dutchies in october so tonight I have an appointment with my instructor to come up with a plan that fits my busy work schedule.

Ronald

To break 100 you need to work out why your blowing up on holes! It only takes 2 or 3 blow up holes (8's, 9's &10's) to stop you breaking the elusive 100, figure what's causing you to shoot these then think differently, if it's the same holes you do it it on, approach them differently, go for bogeys or even double bogeys! They're less painfull! To then break 90's, you need to cut out the double bogeys, go for bogeys on problem holes and make sure you bag enough pars to counter the the double bogeys! To break 80's, well that's what I'm working on! And I've figured this takes more practise and lessons, putting needs to improve, no 3 putts! Approach irons need to improve, you need to be on or close to the green, and if not, Learn to up and down to save par! I'll not do it this year but I'm getting there slowly! My short game is improving and I'm gonna have a lesson to tune my approach irons, particularly mid/ long irons! If I break 80 once I'll be happy!

Gaz Lee

y[quote name="ron273" url="/t/74913/breaking-bad-club-a-thread-for-those-trying-to-break-100/180#post_1008898"]I've been close to breaking 100 now for a couple of weeks. Best score is 103 so far. The problem is not the swing, shortgame or putting, but mainly bad decisions. When in a bad spot the urge to compensate with an ambitious shot is almost uncontrolable. I know this and last round I was well under way to break 100, but on hole 14 I pulled my drive out of bounds and pulled my second teeshot as well. Instead of chipping out I took a hybrid and tried to land it close to the green, over water, between bunkers from the rough. Smart play would have helped me here. I really want to improve my handicap from 27 to below 20 before heading out to Florida with the Dutchies in october so tonight I have an appointment with my instructor to come up with a plan that fits my busy work schedule.[/quote] Course management is paramount. I had a 38 on 9 holes yesterday and hit driver on 4 holes. If i could go back and do it again, i'd only hit it twice. Dont be afraid to hit a fairway wood, hybrid, or even mid irons on par 4s and 5s. Think of the tee shot as a positioning shot. Hit it to a comfortable distance. Also account for your misses. If you miss it right, and there's trouble right, don't aim at the pin! Make sure that if you hit a poor shot that it stays in play and is manageable. Dont get cutesy with your short game. Putt from the fringe unless its super thick and try to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Shot an 88 today!!! Moved the ball forward in my stance, and watched the damn ball through impact ... Did really well on par 3's this time ... I was not far distance wish, but was never far from the fairway the whole round ...
  • Upvote 1

Shot an 88 today!!! Moved the ball forward in my stance, and watched the damn ball through impact ... Did really well on par 3's this time ... I was not far distance wish, but was never far from the fairway the whole round ...

Good round dude!

I've been close to breaking 100 now for a couple of weeks. Best score is 103 so far. The problem is not the swing, shortgame or putting, but mainly bad decisions. When in a bad spot the urge to compensate with an ambitious shot is almost uncontrolable. I know this and last round I was well under way to break 100, but on hole 14 I pulled my drive out of bounds and pulled my second teeshot as well. Instead of chipping out I took a hybrid and tried to land it close to the green, over water, between bunkers from the rough. Smart play would have helped me here. I really want to improve my handicap from 27 to below 20 before heading out to Florida with the Dutchies in october so tonight I have an appointment with my instructor to come up with a plan that fits my busy work schedule.

I am finding out course strategy and approach will lower your score as quick as improving ones ball striking. Good luck on lowering that handicap and keep us posted on your progress!

To break 100 you need to work out why your blowing up on holes! It only takes 2 or 3 blow up holes (8's, 9's &10's) to stop you breaking the elusive 100, figure what's causing you to shoot these then think differently, if it's the same holes you do it it on, approach them differently, go for bogeys or even double bogeys! They're less painfull! To then break 90's, you need to cut out the double bogeys, go for bogeys on problem holes and make sure you bag enough pars to counter the the double bogeys! To break 80's, well that's what I'm working on! And I've figured this takes more practise and lessons, putting needs to improve, no 3 putts! Approach irons need to improve, you need to be on or close to the green, and if not, Learn to up and down to save par! I'll not do it this year but I'm getting there slowly! My short game is improving and I'm gonna have a lesson to tune my approach irons, particularly mid/ long irons! If I break 80 once I'll be happy!

Good info! Thanks Hardballs!

Way to go man! That is great!

I shot a 49 on a par 35 course. I played poorly for the most part but I did not have any blow up holes an it is crazy how much that helps ones score.

Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!