IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ok, i think you should be able to find a few different types of goll balls in that range at your local golf store with probably a larger selection then walmart. im not trying to defer you from that particular company or brand but i know that when i was looking i wanted the largest selection as possible. you could also find last years models at a much cheaper price and maybe they will fall into your price range. like i said the rocketballz urethane were reg $35 a dozen up where i lived in canada and i found them on sale at the same store (golftown) for $15 a dozen so i bought 5 dozen of them.there is a surprisingly very large selection of $1-$1.50 a ball in most large golf shops. golftown, dick's sporting goods. i'd even check out some online places. just google search golfballs for sale and see what pops up

As a beginner should I be looking at three piece balls? I thought I was supposed to find a two piece at first. Is the only turn away cost?

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm at the range right now actually. I don't want to say I've fixed it but I did something that seems to yield good results so far. I arch the small of my back (probably look stuoid) but since doing this I have begun to hit them relatively straight.

If you're pushing your butt out, than you're doing the right thing. But do it without feeling stress on the small of your back.

It doesn't look stupid... at least not when Michelle Wie or Kathleen Ekey does it. :-)

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Yeah I was doing too much then, I felt like I was really arching the back. I employed the rear foot back a few inches method for once (back as in closed stance) and so far I'm hitting straighter than ever.

As a beginner should I be looking at three piece balls? I thought I was supposed to find a two piece at first. Is the only turn away cost?

no no not at all i was just saying the e6 (which happens to be a 3 piece ball flies straight and has distance and i found to be fairly soft but seemed a bit heavy. but even for me i could loose more then i'd like and at that price i wasn't about to keep shelling out the cash. there are lots of great 2 piece balls and in the $15 price range thats probably what you'll get unless you find a sale of some kind. i've had the luxury of playing pro v 1 and 1x. nxt tour s, dt solo, e6, e5, callaway diablo and diablo tour, rocketballz and rbz urethane, tp3 and a few others that i dont remember. of all those balls yes the pro v's were fantastic...not $50 fantastic cause i cant do everything that ball is capable of and it hurts to loose them. i really loved the e6 but even for me, too expensive. the diablo (not tour) if you can find should be cheap. wilson 50 elite is super soft and in your price range. i think you can pick up 2 dozen for $25 or something like that. if you find a cheap 3 piece ball depending on what it is thats just a bonus.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

I did not get any closer to 99 today. I went to hit a bucket and about 15 teenagers took over the driving range about 10 swings in. They were yelling and swearing. There were also 13 boys to two girls and I pray I did not act that obnoxious when I was young. Like a bunch of dogs in heat. I had a hard concentrating and did not make great contact.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Last six rounds:

110-106-122-103-108-101

Positives:

Short game is starting to come together. If I can get to within 65 yards I'm confident in hitting a wedge on and 2 putting. Finally broke 36 putts in a round with 35 when I shot a 103 at Split Rock (125 6,304) That was probably my favorite round. I'm a short hitter and the white tees here are ridiculous. A typical hole was hook/slice driver, be lucky it's in bounds and hit a nice hybrid/5W to about 50-80 yds. It shows me that I can hit my 5W off the tee and then play for a distance I like. No need to hit the GIR if I can consistently get in in 3 strokes from under 80 yds.

Negatives:

Too many lost balls and the occasional shank creeping in. I'm also trying to draw the ball more with pretty good results 80% of the time but the other 20 I'm not committing and end up just hitting the shot fat or pushing it.

I'm almost there. I just need to keep it in the fairway and cut down on mental errors

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Last six rounds: 110-106-122-103-108-101 Positives: Short game is starting to come together. If I can get to within 65 yards I'm confident in hitting a wedge on and 2 putting. Finally broke 36 putts in a round with 35 when I shot a 103 at Split Rock (125 6,304) That was probably my favorite round. I'm a short hitter and the white tees here are ridiculous. A typical hole was hook/slice driver, be lucky it's in bounds and hit a nice hybrid/5W to about 50-80 yds. It shows me that I can hit my 5W off the tee and then play for a distance I like. No need to hit the GIR if I can consistently get in in 3 strokes from under 80 yds. Negatives: Too many lost balls and the occasional shank creeping in. I'm also trying to draw the ball more with pretty good results 80% of the time but the other 20 I'm not committing and end up just hitting the shot fat or pushing it. I'm almost there. I just need to keep it in the fairway and cut down on mental errors

Wow, you are close. The pushed shot and lost balls are killing me too. Sounds like you have some areas of your game coming around. Looks like it is just a matter of time.

I recommend Maxfli U2 or U3. Great balls and cost less than Titleist or Taylormade equivalents. They're kinda hard to find tho. Dick's Sporting Goods (maxfli's parent company), and Golf Galaxy usually have them. . Now I use Maxfli U4/U6. It's close to Titleist ProV without the high price. Plus I just like the dot. I think it's cool. All my golf buddies use Titleist or Nike. So, Maxfli stands out so I can id my ball easily. And no. I do not work for Dick's Sporting Goods. :-)

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Sorry if there is already a thread for this. This thread is a place where all of us high handicappers can post updates and questions on their journey to break 100. I think the better golfers could also give good advise and support. I will start off first. The two things I am really trying to work on now to lower my score is reduce lost balls (three in my last round of 9 holes) and reduce my 3 putts(5 on my last round of 9 holes.). That is 16 strokes over 18 holes. A huge opportunity for improvement. Anyone else out there striving to breaking bad this year?

I broke 100 when I finally learned how to "relax" through impact. It's really difficult to do because your natural tendency is to "brace" for impact and tense up. Once I learned that, my right side release better and I eliminated the push shots and sometime hit hooks....so you try to make adjustments.

Course management would get a lot of guys around 105 or so under 100 quick. Really looking at where the danger is and making the safe play can save strokes. Punch out instead of trying to make the hero shot. Allow a miss to hit dry land on forced carries (even if it doesnt wind up on the green) and take more club than is necessary. Aim for the biggest part of the green, erring on the side that has less danger. Putt from the fringe and get the ball rolling asap on the greens. No, going for that par 5 in two will not save your round. Practice short game as much as and with more focus than hitting on the range. Lastly, 99 times out of 100 on munies if a putt is 5 feet or less , aim dead center of the cup and putt it in with just a teeny bit of extra speed (best putting advice i ever got).

I am trying to break 100 myself. Several 101 rounds but I haven't been able to put two good sides together. I can easily see two areas that will drop a significant amount of strokes. My up and down game is struggling big time and I'm missing tons of greens. My focus will be to try to improve my accuracy hitting greens with my approach shots but I'm going to put a lot if emphasis on my up and down game. A little improvement there would save me 10 strokes around.

I've seen some good advice given here, here are a couple from me:

1.  Stop trying to hit that flop shot.  Learn the easiest way to chip.

2.  Record the right score, no mulligans.

Good luck to everyone, if you get serious about it, you will get there very soon!

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

I've seen some good advice given here, here are a couple from me:

1.  Stop trying to hit that flop shot.  Learn the easiest way to chip.

I agree that weekend hacks tend to over use the flop, probably because they saw Phil Michelson do it and it looked so cool.

But, sometimes flop is your only real choice.

What really sucks is when flop is your best choice, but your ball is resting on a tight lie.

I agree that weekend hacks tend to over use the flop, probably because they saw Phil Michelson do it and it looked so cool.

But, sometimes flop is your only real choice.

What really sucks is when flop is your best choice, but your ball is resting on a tight lie.

Should not be the choice for someone trying to break a 100.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

Should not be the choice for someone trying to break a 100.

Ok. so just out of curiosity:

If there is a huge bunker between a player trying to break 100 and the green, what would be the alternative to a flop?

Remember, I don't necessarily disagree with you. I'm just curious how you would approach this shot if you were trying to break 100.

Ok. so just out of curiosity:

If there is a huge bunker between a player trying to break 100 and the green, what would be the alternative to a flop?

Remember, I don't necessarily disagree with you. I'm just curious how you would approach this shot if you were trying to break 100.

I understand.

Normal chip/pitch.  land it in the middle, might roll off the green, maybe it will stay.

Try the flop and these scenarios might occur, starting with mostly likely one:

1.  Go right into the bunker.

2.  Fly the green.

3.  Duff it and not even get to the bunker.

4.  Land it too far, long putt back.

5.  Land it perfectly, 1 putt to save par.

I typically stay under 100 these days, predominately because I've improved my putting/chipping. I used to 3 putt or chip on + 2 putt most of the time. However, I've been able to reduce both of those by 1 putt on almost every hole which has saved me up to 10 shots a round. To be honest it looks like that's more than enough to get most of you guys into the 90s. From there it's a lot more work to get lower, at least for me it has been.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

This is pretty funny.... this year I can think of multiple times I have tried to hit flop shots and not once did it work out. I am working hard on practicing my chips and pitches so until I break 100 I may stick with and keep practicing those. This is not rocket science I should have realized before to take a step back and take a safer shot I am more comfortable with until I can get to a point in my game where I can justify time spent on practicing flop shots. Sadly of the two above the fly the green and not go hardly anywhere are the two that have happened the most frequently.

Note: This thread is 1309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!