IGNORED

Why is Calvin Peete not talked about?

RightEdge
Note:Β This thread is 3607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I was just looking at some videos and clinics on great ball strikers and was looking at Moe Norman videos. Β He was labeled as one of the best ball strikers of all time. Β Then I ran up on this thing about an african america golfer in the 80s named Calvin Peete. Did you guys know he held the driving accuracy record on the PGA for 10 years? Also, I think he won a PGA Championship and was called "Deadly" from 150 yards and in. Β I think he had like 12 PGA wins if the article I read was correct. Β If that is true why isn't this guy ever mentioned? Β I have been following golf for many years and I don't think I ever heard his name before. Β Meanwhile we are hyping up players on the European tour that have a few wins there but have never even won a PGA event or if they have it's like 1 or 2 but this guys has 12?

Are we forgetting the golfers of old or are won only remembering the ones who won majors? Β As I said before, I don't know anything about this golfer other than what I just read and I just wanted to ask you guys because I'm sure somebody on this board probably knows his history.

Calvin Peete regularly was the most accurate driver on tour during the 80's, he said maintaining good balance was the single most important factor for being so accurate with the driver, it was usually him and Mike Reid as the 2 most accurate during that time.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3Β  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tourΒ Β 14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I remember a video of his where he said "dont do anything at the sake of balance, you're only going to hit the ball so far."

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

One of my favorite golfers of all time. I was at the Greater Milwaukee Open in 1979 when he won his first tour event. Little known fact was that he injured his left elbow falling out of a tree when he was a young child. It never healed properly and he was still able to become one of the most accurate drivers on tour.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of my favorite golfers of all time. I was at the Greater Milwaukee Open in 1979 when he won his first tour event.

Little known fact was that he injured his left elbow falling out of a tree when he was a young child. It never healed properly and he was still able to become one of the most accurate drivers on tour.

Ok but if this guy was one of the most accurate drivers, won a pga championship and won 12 pga events, WHY is he never mentioned? Β There are plenty of golfers who have won 5 or 6 events and are talked about all the time. Some that have never even won anything but european events and are considered great. Β But this guy american born doesn't even get an honorable mention? Β He's not the only golfer that falls into that category but he kind of just stands out to me.

Ok but if this guy was one of the most accurate drivers, won a pga championship and won 12 pga events, WHY is he never mentioned? Β There are plenty of golfers who have won 5 or 6 events and are talked about all the time. Some that have never even won anything but european events and are considered great. Β But this guy american born doesn't even get an honorable mention? Β He's not the only golfer that falls into that category but he kind of just stands out to me.

Because he was a solid player, but nothing close to hall of fame material. Not to mention playing before a lot of the members on this site were out of the 3d grade.... :-D You don't hear many people talking about Andy Bean, Bob Gilder, or Don Pooley these days either. Time passes, and only the real stars tend to be remembered, or talked about.

In David's bag....

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind

He didn't win a PGA Championship, a tied 3rd in the 1982 PGA was his best result in Majors.

He was one of my favorites at the time. Β He didn't win any majors and the media/viewers have a short attention span. Β How many tour winners from the 70's and 80's do we really talk about?

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

He was one of my favorites at the time. Β He didn't win any majors and the media/viewers have a short attention span. Β How many tour winners from the 70's and 80's do we really talk about?

[quote name="Wansteadimp" url="/t/74970/why-is-calvin-peete-not-talked-about#post_998649"]He didn't win a PGA Championship, a tied 3rd in the 1982 PGA was his best result in Majors. [/quote] I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but didn't he win The Players Championship one year? Something else pretty big too, but I know no majors....

In David's bag....

Racism believe it a million percent . Happens daily still just being upfront here

Good grief. :doh: Other than the fact that he's Black, what do you have to support such a ridiculous claim? Without looking it up, I bet VERY few people could name 3 golfers from the same time period, call it 1980ish, that weren't "big name" major winners.....

In David's bag....

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but didn't he win The Players Championship one year? Something else pretty big too, but I know no majors....

He did wear that cool white hat and always looked so relaxed. Β 1985 Players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Peete

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tournament_Players_Championship

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Because he was a solid player, but nothing close to hall of fame material. Not to mention playing before a lot of the members on this site were out of the 3d grade....

You don't hear many people talking about Andy Bean, Bob Gilder, or Don Pooley these days either. Time passes, and only the real stars tend to be remembered, or talked about.

He didn't win a PGA Championship, a tied 3rd in the 1982 PGA was his best result in Majors.

Oh ok, maybe I got that mixed up a bit. Β Here a list of his wins.

No. Date Tournament Winning score Margin of
victory
Runner(s)-up
1 Jul 15, 1979 Greater Milwaukee Open βˆ’19 (69-67-68-65=269) 5 strokes Mexico Victor Regalado , United States Jim Simons ,
United States Lee Trevino
2 Jul 11, 1982 Greater Milwaukee Open βˆ’14 (70-66-69-69=274) 2 strokes Mexico Victor Regalado
3 Jul 25, 1982 Anheuser-Busch Golf Classic βˆ’10 (66-68-69=203) 2 strokes United States Bruce Lietzke
4 Sep 5, 1982 B.C. Open βˆ’14 (69-63-64-69=265) 7 strokes United States Jerry Pate
5 Oct 24, 1982 Pensacola Open βˆ’16 (65-66-72-65=268) 7 strokes Canada Dan Halldorson , United States Hal Sutton
6 May 22, 1983 Georgia-Pacific Atlanta Golf Classic βˆ’10 (68-75-63=206) 2 strokes United States Jim Colbert , United States Don Pooley ,
United States Chip Beck
7 Jul 24, 1983 Anheuser-Busch Golf Classic βˆ’8 (66-75-66-69=276) 1 stroke United States Tim Norris
8 Oct 7, 1984 Texas Open βˆ’14 (67-67-66-66=266) 3 strokes United States Bruce Lietzke
9 Jan 20, 1985 Phoenix Open βˆ’14 (65-65-72-68=270) 2 strokes United States Morris Hatalsky , United States Doug Tewell
1 0 Mar 31, 1985 Tournament Players Championship βˆ’14 (70-69-69-66=274) 3 strokes United States D. A. Weibring
11 Jan 11, 1986 MONY Tournament of Champions βˆ’21 (68-67-64-68=267) 6 strokes United States Mark O'Meara
12 Mar 23, 1986 USF&G; Classic βˆ’19 (68-67-66-68=269) 5 strokes United States Pat McGowan

I know he preached balance as one of the most important fundamentals. He won the player's championship the year I was born, ha! Nice!

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Its way to easy to blame racism in this case. Yes he and others dealt with racism while playing but i cant see that spilling into why hes not mentioned more these days.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Racism believe it a million percent . Happens daily still just being upfront here

Yeah.... right. :loco:

Peete won several tournaments, the only one really of note was what was then called the Tournament Players Championship. Β The rest were the typical second tier tournaments that are soon forgotten.

Scott Hoch has 11 wins in mostly second tier tournaments (the only real difference is that he never won the Players, but he did get into a sudden death playoff at the 1989 Masters, losing to Nick Faldo, someone you may have heard of). Β Hoch is white, but he's never mentioned either.

Bruce Lietzke played in the same era, is white, and won 13 times without a major, lost 6 time in playoffs (one in the old T of C to Jack Nicklaus, another player you may have heard of). Β Lietzke is also never talked about now.

It has everything to do with performance and when they played, and nothing to do with race.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note:Β This thread is 3607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!