Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reval14

Which iron shaft have the best feel

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

which manufacturer of iron shafts do you think give the best feel?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

With all due respect, that's an entirely subjective question with no real answer that doesn't boil down to personal preference...  I like the "feel" of graphite shafts because they soften impact somewhat.  Others may want to feel that impact and think graphite feels dead.  I sort of like heavier shafts in my irons because to me I seem to be able to track the swing a bit better.  Others may love light shafts...

A more important question is which shaft PERFORMS best for YOU in a particular club.  That is a question best addressed by a good fitter with a launch monitor.

With all due respect, that's an entirely subjective question with no real answer that doesn't boil down to personal preference...

I know that it's a subjective question, but I just want to know what kind of opinion/experience the players have.

I imagine different shafts feel different to different people. I've been fit 3x and had people recommend shafts they swear by and hated them. My experience is some shaft and head combos feel weird together. I like the KBS Tour but after reading reviews some people had nothing good to say about KBS.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I imagine different shafts feel different to different people. I've been fit 3x and had people recommend shafts they swear by and hated them.

Hi, thx for your reply. What did you hate about them? Did they feel dead at impact or how would you describe it?

Hi, thx for your reply. What did you hate about them? Did they feel dead at impact or how would you describe it?

I had a fitter put some PX 6.0's on Cleveland 588 CB heads. Felt like hitting a club off concrete it was so harsh. Part of it was the head, a little out of my league. The same shaft felt better in whatever the new Taylor Made clubs were at the time. But I tried the PX, DGS300 and KBS Tour in the 588 and the KBS felt the best to me. It was food for thought that day because I didn't buy anything.

I depends upon:

• Clubhead speed generated: most don't want a shaft too spongy or too boardy
  • Swing characteristics: A golfer who has a quick transition from top to downswing will probably want a stiffer shaft than someone with a smoother transition

Also, it depends on golfer preferences: some want a shaft and club where they can really feel the impact, others want minimal feel and a ball that just goes straight.

I depends upon: Also, it depends on golfer preferences: some want a shaft and club where they can really feel the impact, others want minimal feel and a ball that just goes straight.

And in which shafts do you really feel the impact?

KBS

Yeah, KBS Tour.  Not KBS C-Taper.  KBS Tour shafts feel sweet, the ball seems to just pounce off of the face and launch into the air.  C-Tapers feel like you're swinging your car door at the ball.  (FWIW I use C-Tapers, in spite of the crappy feel, because I like the low-launch/low-spin.  KBS Tours were too high.)

Regarding the feel of irons: What do you think has more affect - the shaft or the clubhead?

Regarding the feel of irons: What do you think has more affect - the shaft or the clubhead?

I'd say on the whole the head contributes more to feel, but both play a role. Blades and forged clubs will transfer more vibration on off-center hits than a SGI iron. Some shafts dampen vibration and counter the bad feel of a mishit. All irons feel good when you hit them in the middle of the face. The right shaft--particularly the right weight--can help you hit the middle more often. At the end of the day, feel is mostly subjective. You've got to hit different head and shaft setups and find out what feels good to you.

And how much does the grip contribute?