IGNORED

Hybrid from the tee.

Note: This thread is 3588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not too sure what mine is, although the head cover says 22.

Okay, now, I have to doubt that you measured the distance correctly.

That's a really long way to hit any club with 22 degrees.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Isn't 22 close to a 4 iron?

I know. I don't blame you for doubting. But I always get a kick out of seeing the faces of those I'm playing with. Trust me, though, I'm not boasting. I'm not a good golfer. If I wanted to lie about something, it'd be my handicap.

I know. I don't blame you for doubting. But I always get a kick out of seeing the faces of those I'm playing with. Trust me, though, I'm not boasting. I'm not a good golfer. If I wanted to lie about something, it'd be my handicap.

Sure, okay. I have no reason to doubt your word.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Isn't 22 close to a 4 iron?

I have a couple of cheepo Knight hybrids that I bought a long time ago just to see if I thought I would like hybrids.

The 3 hybrid is 22* and the 4 hybrid is 25*. They match up very well with my 3 and 4 irons for distance (even though they have more loft than those clubs respectively). Probably because of more shaft length than the irons.

I have a couple of cheepo Knight hybrids that I bought a long time ago just to see if I thought I would like hybrids.

The 3 hybrid is 22* and the 4 hybrid is 25*. They match up very well with my 3 and 4 irons for distance (even though they have more loft than those clubs respectively). Probably because of more shaft length than the irons.

That sounds about right. I can get around 220 out of my 5-iron.

That sounds about right. I can get around 220 out of my 5-iron.

That must be when you toe it a bit, what happens when you really catch one in the middle?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

That must be when you toe it a bit, what happens when you really catch one in the middle?

(Shrugs shoulders)

I just realized that I kind of hijacked the thread, and for that I apologize. Just wanted to add my two cents on the hybrid off the tee box.

:-D

[QUOTE name="Pancho Lefty" url="/t/75065/hybrid-from-the-tee/18#post_1004345"] That sounds about right. I can get around 220 out of my 5-iron. [/QUOTE] That must be when you toe it a bit, what happens when you really catch one in the middle?

If my math is correct then most likely around 262.46 but there is +/- of .56 yards on that..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

hot damn 260 yard hybrid is looong...

I get my hybrid about 210 yard max... ( more accurate range distances at my golf club's range )

I hit my irons and hybrids with quite high trajectory though. Not complaining really, but it's just my shot pattern sofar.

I suppose a better player would  be able to deloft the irons more, and get more carry+roll distance.

But assuming I can improve my overall accuracy with irons, I could get some nice shots with them. My favorite shot is slight fade or straight - high trajectory. Ball sticks - where it lands. Better than rolling into hazards, or rolling off from the green, I say!!! :-D

hot damn 260 yard hybrid is looong...

I get my hybrid about 210 yard max... ( more accurate range distances at my golf club's range )

I hit my irons and hybrids with quite high trajectory though. Not complaining really, but it's just my shot pattern sofar.

I suppose a better player would  be able to deloft the irons more, and get more carry+roll distance.

But assuming I can improve my overall accuracy with irons, I could get some nice shots with them. My favorite shot is slight fade or straight - high trajectory. Ball sticks - where it lands. Better than rolling into hazards, or rolling off from the green, I say!!!

The purpose of a 22 degree hybrid is to get a high flight to land greens from around 180 to 200 yards (175 to 190 for me), not to deloft it. The ball flight on 260 yards would be on the order of 110 feet high at the apex, and very little roll.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The purpose of a 22 degree hybrid is to get a high flight to land greens from around 180 to 200 yards (175 to 190 for me), not to deloft it. The ball flight on 260 yards would be on the order of 110 feet high at the apex, and very little roll.

There's NO WAY I'd ever use my hybrid if was under 200 yards away from the pin. That's just me, though.

There's NO WAY I'd ever use my hybrid if was under 200 yards away from the pin. That's just me, though.

I usually use my 4i or 3i (if I am using the MP-32), depending upon the lie and how much roll can be tolerated. If I need a high trajectory I will use my 21 degree hybrid to try to land the green. I pick the club depending upon the situation.

My average hybrid distances are 205 (18 degree), and 182 (21 degree) with as little roll as I can muster. My 3i is about 200 (when I can hit it) and my 4i is about 190 (again when I can hit it). So, I do have some overlap in some clubs. If I can't reach something with my 8i (145 to 150 yards), I would get on in 3. Lucky for me my driver carries 235 yards, and I can usually get on par 4 with driver-8i or less on 5800-6400 yard courses. 6800 yard courses force me to use my 7i and 6i a lot of the time and my hybrids.

If I carried a 22 degree hybrid roughly 260, I might choke up on it and do a half/three quarter swing on it to get less than 200 yards.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I usually use my 4i or 3i (if I am using the MP-32), depending upon the lie and how much roll can be tolerated. If I need a high trajectory I will use my 21 degree hybrid to try to land the green. I pick the club depending upon the situation.

My average hybrid distances are 205 (18 degree), and 182 (21 degree) with as little roll as I can muster. My 3i is about 200 (when I can hit it) and my 4i is about 190 (again when I can hit it). So, I do have some overlap in some clubs. If I can't reach something with my 8i (145 to 150 yards), I would get on in 3. Lucky for me my driver carries 235 yards, and I can usually get on par 4 with driver-8i or less on 5800-6400 yard courses. 6800 yard courses force me to use my 7i and 6i a lot of the time and my hybrids.

If I carried a 22 degree hybrid roughly 260, I might choke up on it and do a half/three quarter swing on it to get less than 200 yards.

Choking down is a concept that I always "knew about," but one that I'm just now starting to implement. I feel very confident with my irons, though. I don't carry anything under a 5, but with the distance I get out of all of my clubs, I don't need to carry anything under a 5. If I have to reach for a 7, I'm either playing a par 5, or had a garbage tee shot. I use my 6-iron as my "go to" shot off the tee box when I'm struggling with a hybrid.

I keep telling a friend of mine, "just because you can hit it that far doesn't mean you have to". Hebrags about hitting his 9 iron 160 yards. I can too, but I choose not to because I'd be overswinging (like him). That's why he's a 15 HCP and I'm not. If you can control the ball with that kind of distance, that's great because it makes the second shot easier. Length is good. GIR is better.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I can hit my 18* pretty well, 240-260 depending on roll out, but I'm not very consistent with it at all so I don't feel comfortable using it off the tee instead of my driver. It all ends up the same for me no matter what I hit off the tee if I'm having a bad day.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I keep telling a friend of mine, "just because you can hit it that far doesn't mean you have to". Hebrags about hitting his 9 iron 160 yards. I can too, but I choose not to because I'd be overswinging (like him). That's why he's a 15 HCP and I'm not. If you can control the ball with that kind of distance, that's great because it makes the second shot easier. Length is good. GIR is better.

Sure, this is why you are 10 strokes lower, and GIR is way better than OB. I hope to be a low handicap someday, but not if I need to put lots of "effort" into my swings.

BTW, I doubt I could hit any 9i 160 yards, but I think I rolled a few to the 150 flag on the driving range from hitting too thin. My 9i is only my 135 club, and I am learning to put more spin on it so it can stop right at that distance. With my TM burners, my 9i could be my 150-ish club if get the timing just right, but the loft is somewhere between the 8i and 7i on my MP-52.

I can hit my 18* pretty well, 240-260 depending on roll out, but I'm not very consistent with it at all so I don't feel comfortable using it off the tee instead of my driver. It all ends up the same for me no matter what I hit off the tee if I'm having a bad day.

20 yards is a lot of roll differential for a hybrid, but not everyone uses it for the same reasons, I suppose. I don't really get a lot of roll on my hybrids, unless the fairway/rough is really dry and hard.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!