Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbri

Body turn with driver

5 posts in this topic

I am getting on a bit and getting a bit stiffer in my movements.  I am Having trouble with body turn with the driver.  I am tending to fade the ball and lose distance.  However I have found that if I really belt the ball the weight of the club helps to get me a better body turn with the result of a much better drive.  I don't want to be belting it all the time though.  So, has anyone got any tips to help with this please?

Bri

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I do a light workout before every golf outing. I particularly want to work on my back. I do 300 crunches for this. I also do several minutes of yoga and other stretching. Four Advil before the round doesn't hurt either. I'm 57 which isn't ancient but I don't have the body turn I had 40 years ago. I also take many vitamin and mineral supplements each day. I've been taking glucosamine for years.

Glad you're doing well Vangator.  IMO there is no scientific evidence that Glucosamine offers any benefits to the aging body. Some folks offer personal testimonials using glucosamine  and those i cannot deny. There is some evidence that Fish Oil offers various health benefits, including joint lube.

And OP, what do you mean by 'belt the ball'?  IMO, (again) if you do not have a desire to hit the drive a long way (very relative to each player) the ball will just float off the peg. Hip turn and clubhead speed are highly correlated, even causation may be found.  Sure, male gender and  age decreases hormones, which decreases  joint flexibility.  But if you do not start to reverse this trend with exercise, esp yoga, my favorite,  then slowly  but certainly , you'll one day be 'stiff as a brick' and without muscle mass. Don't go there.

Thanks folks.  Exercise it is then!

Bri

Just my 3 cents...At 66, and having a bad back, I find The most important thing for me is Stretching..Also I have a Phys Therapist that has me do 4 exercises to 1 stretch my back, 2 to strengthen it, 3 to strengthen my glutes,, 4 stretch my hamstrings, and 4 to losen my hips, I guess there's some muscles in those. What I have gained is way more flexibility, and my back tends to hurt less after hitting 250 balls at the range.

I take vitamin D as per my Doctor, and that's it. YMMV. But staying active helps.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Are you allowed to use the cart for the practice round.  If so, I would recommend using it, purely because you are practicing one day before the tournament and the less tired you are, the better.  For your caddie, it does not make a huge difference.  Unless carrying the bag tires him out so much that it will impact your pace of play during the tournament, either option is fine for him.  Good luck with the tourney and hydrating and carb loading the day before the tournament is huge.  Make sure you have a good breakfast early in the morning, say 6 am or so, which will then allow you to snack lightly through the tournament and keep your energy levels up
    • Shot 80 yesterday which is my best score since starting up golf again last year. I was 2 under after 7 so part of me feels a little bit disappointed that I let it slip!   I was feeling so good on the tee at 8 that I thought I'd hit a little draw into the lateral slope of the fairway to get a better position.  Unfortunately my ball missed the ground and went into the trees.  Took a few holes to get the wheels back on and back to playing shots I can actually hit.
    • Played better at Western Gailes yesterday and loved the course - very welcoming and had me thinking much more than Turnberry did as the greens were smaller with danger pretty much everywhere. I started out brilliantly, playing the first 4 in -1, but then turned into the wind - into and off the right - and immediately lost a ball playing for too much wind on the hardest hole, which I'd have bogeyed anyway. Putting again wasn't as good as it has been and I just haven't felt like I'm going to hole anything outside of 6 feet. Highlights were the first four holes, particularly feeling like DJ or Rory on the 4th, a good par on 7 (see below) and a good last four holes - bar another lost ball on 18...  http://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/1072354 My par on the 7th - only swing I recorded was a really nice punch 5 iron from 170 into a strong breeze: 3rd tee: 'Secret' 6th green: Looking back on the 13th green: I get a few days' rest now before my last couple of rounds, both at Machrihanish Dunes. I've learnt a lot about my game playing these two rounds that I hadn't known beforehand. I find it really hard when I don't know the line and have to guess and commit to the shot far less. If I can see it though, it's generally fine. I need to sort the driving in the wind out as there's just no room for error - a slight mishit and a ball that would be safe is gone. Additionally, particularly at Turnberry, I need to stop overthinking things. Occasionally I'd find myself trying to hit a 7 iron with the ball miles back in my stance to deloft it, aiming way left to compensate and just should have hit what I felt comfortable with and taken the hit with the wind. My putting has to get better as well, particularly from range. So much fun though and I will definitely play Western Gailes again (probably more of a certainty than Turnberry) - I loved the course and the welcome you get was amazing.
    • Played better at Western Gailes yesterday and loved the course - very welcoming and had me thinking much more than Turnberry did as the greens were smaller with danger pretty much everywhere. The main thing I've taken away from this trip though is that I need to control my driver in the wind better. A lot of times, it was definitely the play and my second shot was excellent, but I lost too many going with the wind, which probably wouldn't have been too bad without it. Partial wedges were really good again and approach play was generally alright. I started out brilliantly, playing the first 4 in -1, but then turned into the wind - into and off the right - and immediately lost a ball playing for too much wind on the hardest hole, which I'd have bogeyed anyway. Putting again wasn't as good as it has been and I just haven't felt like I'm going to hole anything outside of 6 feet. Highlights were the first four holes, particularly feeling like DJ or Rory on the 4th, a good par on 7 (see below) and a good last four holes - bar another lost ball on 18...  http://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/1072354 My par on the 7th - only swing I recorded was a really nice punch 5 iron from 170 into a strong breeze: 3rd tee: 'Secret' 6th green: Looking back on the 13th green: I get a few days' rest now before my last couple of rounds, both at Machrihanish Dunes. I've learnt a lot about my game playing these two rounds that I hadn't known beforehand. I find it really hard when I don't know the line and have to guess and commit to the shot far less. If I can see it though, it's generally fine. I need to sort the driving in the wind out as there's just no room for error - a slight mishit and a ball that would be safe is gone. Additionally, particularly at Turnberry, I need to stop overthinking things. Occasionally I'd find myself trying to hit a 7 iron with the ball miles back in my stance to deloft it, aiming way left to compensate and just should have hit what I felt comfortable with and taken the hit with the wind. My putting has to get better as well, particularly from range. So much fun though and I will definitely play Western Gailes again (probably more of a certainty than Turnberry) - I loved the course and the welcome you get was amazing.
    • Lake Mead. It's down 150' +/-, and still losing about 5' every year. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. Erg
      Erg
      (49 years old)
    2. irishmike27
      irishmike27
      (37 years old)
    3. Tutenharman
      Tutenharman
      (27 years old)