IGNORED

No divots?

Note: This thread is 3566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It helps, but for those of us who hit it fat now and then, the line quickly becomes a long one. :-( I wouldn't call a pro that tells you you shouldn't take a divot a pro. He's either lying to save his grass, or seriously misinformed. I can't replace any divots on the practice range since the turf is too frail. The divots are more a could of dirt and grass than a single object. Does replacing divots help on a driving range? I've heard some say that replacing a divot means the damage will take longer to heal, since the roots won't re-attach anyways. Some courses I've been to has had posters telling players to not replace divots on the course because of this. I suppose it would be possible to replace divots and have other players hit off it again on a range with good grass, but I didn't know it was a thing.

There's no need, or expectoration to replace or repair divots at a driving range. Simply take care to use the range as shown above and you're being courteous and responsible. :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's no need, or expectoration to replace or repair divots at a driving range. Simply take care to use the range as shown above and you're being courteous and responsible. :beer:

To add onto this, replacing your divot on the practice range can be hazardous to your health! I usually send divots far enough into the range that it wouldn't take much, or anything at all depending on where they're aiming, for someone to mis-hit their shot and nail me in the head. I like to get a line, 3 divots wide, where I tuck the next ball on the back of the divots. This keeps the overall divot area down to about a 6" x 1-2' square depending on how many balls I hit at a time, and I usually try to tuck it out of the way of others. That said, I would make sure to take a couple obnoxious divots, only when the "pro" is watching, at that driving range because of his incredibly unprofessional behaviour. Anyone who is employed to help golfers improve should not give advice that could be detrimental to their game just because the person is taking divots as most iron shots should.

I thought I should share this. I was at a driving range yesterday and was taking about a dollar bill sized divot in front of the ball (more or less) and the pro came out and said I shouldn't be taking divots at all! I should be lightly brushing the grass not taking divots. I thought this was odd. He told me to cup my wrist in the backswing to help shallow out my swing. I asked him how that will help and he said, "I'm not giving this instruction to benefit you but to benefit my grass!" I thought this was a very strange experience.

Anyone else have an experience similar to this?

I was just told that "Divots are so 70s", like they went out with the "Bee Gees" or something like that. This inspired me not to take divots. :-D

Sorry in advance for those who liked the "Disco era". :beer:

BTW, I do still take some in line divots.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Good thread.

I generally like to take deep  divots with my wedge to 8 iron.I know Im on line to my target when I take a deep divot.

My swing levels off with my long irons and generally do not take much divot from 7 iron to 4 iron.

The problem I get is Im a poor fairway sand player with my wedge to 8 iron but Im good from fairway sand shots with 7 iron to 4 iron.

That makes total sense since your trying to pick the ball clean out of the sand. Sounds like the answer may be to choke up on a 7 iron and hit it a little shorter with a full swing. Of course depending on the yardage you have.

@David in FL beat me to it but I'll post it anyway. I grew up doing it the third way (in the video) and changed it in college to taking longer strips.

Hah, just got this in an email from the head groundskeeper a few days ago. They have signs all over the range saying which divot pattern to use that and very few people appear to follow it...

-Rich

Note: This thread is 3566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!