IGNORED

Advice on new clubs....just don't talk me out of buying....

Note: This thread is 3475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would spend the money on additional lessons and Greens fees.  Those clubs will not hold you back.  The same logic could be applied to the G25 driver.

Did you ever hear the expression it is the Indian not the arrow.  By the way if the Indian keeps changing bows and Arrows the Indian will go hungry.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No good fitting facility around here. I'm moving to Denver in early August so I'm gonna do a dynamic fitting there and get the real deal.

I've actually never experimented with shafts. I'd like to try some Project X styles. I'm talking irons. Will be interesting.

I think it's best if we move off Gi versus Players, and talk about what is your interest in an iron -- what iron will fit your wants and still allows you to play consistently well.

Since you're swinging better, find a set you love in terms of looks and will still realistically perform for you (how much forgiveness or help is wanted) - that's where demos and simulators come in, and ranges with fitters so you can hit outside. After you find the set, which clubs in the set can you realistically swing competently? 3-PW, 4-PW, 5-PW and then find hybrids and/or fairways to round out the set.

I think it's one of these journeys that is so subjective that it is one you take more or less alone --- it's hard work and time -- you've got to look at various OEM sites, pics, discussion, and see what piques your interest, and then demo. Once you find a head, then comes the shaft...

You know about all of the OEMS, find what may fit and looks great to your eye. Another lesser known maker is Edel ... it's a custom fit cavity. Do a google search if you like. But whatever path you take, good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

No good fitting facility around here. I'm moving to Denver in early August so I'm gonna do a dynamic fitting there and get the real deal.

I've actually never experimented with shafts. I'd like to try some Project X styles. I'm talking irons. Will be interesting.

A proper fitting is definitely the way to go, and based on your post something you already know.

I bought new irons earlier this year and I went in with the same mindset of moving to a, "players iron." After the fitting I walked away with the Apex's and I absolutely love the choice I made. Great turf interaction and I can still work the ball even though they were labeled a GI. Before buying I tested the AP1's and 2's, Mizuno JPX-825 and the Apex's.

Matt Metzger - Newtown, PA

What's In My Bag

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 - Aldila Tour Rogue Silver - 69g - Stiff

3-Wood: TaylorMade R11s - ProForce V2, Stiff, 76g

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner - Stock shaft, Stiff

Irons: Callaway Apex 4-PW - True Temper XP-95, S300

Wedges: Cleveland Reg 588 Precision Forged, 52*, 56* & 60*

Putter: Kenny Giannini - G-4 No Neck, 34in

Sound advice from all of you. Looks are important if only to keep the confidence factor high so I do pay attention to that. Without sounding snobbish, my budget isn't a limitation. My searching, as expected, is quite overwhelming with all the options out there. It's just not practical to hit everything I like or read about. I need to narrow it down a bit. I've disregarded the "GI vs Players iron" concept. Thank you. I've used Pings most of my golf life. My very first set was a hand-me-down Northwestern Thunderbirds! Remember those? Lol! My current plan is to have an extensive fitting as I said before. I've never been fitted for shafts. Always had the Ping CFS or whatever was stock. I've played the T-birds, Lynx Predator, Titleist forged from the late 80's, Ping Zings, Ping I3, Cobra, Ping Eye2, Ping G25. I think I'm going to hit these clubs and I should be happy with one of them: Ping I25 Ping Anser Ping S55 Titleist AP 1&2 Callaway Apex

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I think it's best if we move off Gi versus Players, and talk about what is your interest in an iron -- what iron will fit your wants and still allows you to play consistently well.

Since you're swinging better, find a set you love in terms of looks and will still realistically perform for you (how much forgiveness or help is wanted) - that's where demos and simulators come in, and ranges with fitters so you can hit outside. After you find the set, which clubs in the set can you realistically swing competently? 3-PW, 4-PW, 5-PW and then find hybrids and/or fairways to round out the set.

I think it's one of these journeys that is so subjective that it is one you take more or less alone --- it's hard work and time -- you've got to look at various OEM sites, pics, discussion, and see what piques your interest, and then demo. Once you find a head, then comes the shaft...

You know about all of the OEMS, find what may fit and looks great to your eye. Another lesser known maker is Edel ... it's a custom fit cavity. Do a google search if you like. But whatever path you take, good luck.

This is a good point.  It's important to find a shaft weight and stiffness and trajectory that suits you.  Almost moreso than the head itself.  A good fitter will have head/shaft combos so that you can get an idea of where he ball flight is coming from (assuming you have a consistent swing) - whether it be a shaft or head that is contributing to ballooning, or a hook, etc.

Sound advice from all of you. Looks are important if only to keep the confidence factor high so I do pay attention to that. Without sounding snobbish, my budget isn't a limitation.

My searching, as expected, is quite overwhelming with all the options out there. It's just not practical to hit everything I like or read about. I need to narrow it down a bit.

I've disregarded the "GI vs Players iron" concept. Thank you.

I've used Pings most of my golf life. My very first set was a hand-me-down Northwestern Thunderbirds! Remember those? Lol!

My current plan is to have an extensive fitting as I said before. I've never been fitted for shafts. Always had the Ping CFS or whatever was stock. I've played the T-birds,

Lynx Predator, Titleist forged from the late 80's, Ping Zings, Ping I3, Cobra, Ping Eye2, Ping G25.

I think I'm going to hit these clubs and I should be happy with one of them:

Ping I25

Ping Anser

Ping S55

Titleist AP 1&2

Callaway Apex

Take a look at Callaway XForged 2013. Traditional and surprising for a low to mid capper. I think the good amount of bounce contributes to the playability of these irons. They won't be multi-material or give added gobs of distance. If you want that, Apex.

And if you are keeping irons for a long time, the Pings ought to work.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Go for it. Try the 714 AP1 on the fitting machines before you decide. Very solid club for the price and ridiculously forgiving. I have yet to try the others yet. I still play forged blades but the AP1 I hit a few times in Myrtle Beach was impressive.

Will do. Thanks. If I end up liking the Callaways or Titleist..it'll be a great excuse to buy a new bag too.....lol

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Will do. Thanks. If I end up liking the Callaways or Titleist..it'll be a great excuse to buy a new bag too.....lol

That's exactly what I did! Those golf store are my adult version of Toys 'R' Us

Matt Metzger - Newtown, PA

What's In My Bag

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 - Aldila Tour Rogue Silver - 69g - Stiff

3-Wood: TaylorMade R11s - ProForce V2, Stiff, 76g

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner - Stock shaft, Stiff

Irons: Callaway Apex 4-PW - True Temper XP-95, S300

Wedges: Cleveland Reg 588 Precision Forged, 52*, 56* & 60*

Putter: Kenny Giannini - G-4 No Neck, 34in

Would you be wanting to sell your G25s?? Would love to have them. I play G15s and have been thinking of going to the G25s, I like the look and feel. As you can tell I'm a Ping irons guy.

Jim260...You refer to specific models a few times, then say your a "PING Guy" Then you immediately post script, that you don't care about models or name brands... You're cracking me up!! Lol!!

• 2 months later...
Hey Jim...sorry for the delay. The move has eaten my time away. I'm pulling the trigger soon on new clubs. I'd give you a great deal on the G25's if you're still interested.

I recently switched from the Callaway X Forged Irons to the PING S55's. Lost about 5-7 yards with each iron, but improved my contact and ball flight substantially. If you're already playing PING irons I suggest you try the S55's, and since you're trying out different shafts explore both the KBS line and Project X. You won't be disappointed! Also don't get caught up in the equipment minutiae. Blades vs forged vs GI, hit what you have the most confidence in! That's the #1 key IMHO. I have some + handicap friends who still play full cavity back sets with proper shafts because they can't find anything they have more confidence in. Keep at it, greatest game ever played!!

Adams XTD Driver Callaway Big Bertha 3-wood Adams Pro One Hybrid Ping S55 4-PW KBS Tour Titelist Vokey 52, 56, 60 Odyssey Versa #7 I play The Wheel weekly, and live and die for 2 down auto's

Well...I pulled the trigger. Just scored a new set of titleist ap2's 4-gw! After hitting numerous clubs and shaft changes...settled on AP2 with S300 DG shafts. Really feel nice. Ping Answers were nice....just couldn't justify the extra dough for no real preference other than having mostly Pings in my past. Longest irons I hit were the Callaway Apex irons. But they just didn't grab me like the Titleist did. Anyway....love em.
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!