IGNORED

Driving iron less "draw biased" than hybrid?

Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any one have any experience/advice regarding switching from hybrid (currently Callaway Xhot 3 hybrid) to a driving iron (looking at Titleist 712u 18*?  Specifically to combat a tendency to hook the hybrid? Wouldn't mind a bit flatter trajectory in the wind either, but mainly want to dial back the hook, especially when I use it off the tee.

I would first hit the 712 U to make it does what you think it will do. Yes it will launch lower than a XHot but if you hook it because you miss it off the toe, going to a different club won't help.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Mike.  Not missing on the toe with the Xhot, it's just either a draw or a hook.  I have a really hard time turning it left to right, and even the straightest shots have at least a couple yards of draw on them, so they always seem to kick right when they hit the green.

First post. Glad to be here. I can't hit a hybrid for the life of me. I currently play MP37 7-pw with acer xf pro 4-6 to gap accordingly. However I have a been toying with a 4-6 Wilson D100 leaving the xf pro 6 in the bag as well to bridge the gap of the SGI Wilson's. I have an MP Fli Hi cut muscle 4 on the way that I would replace the Wilson 5 with as they are both 24*. Depending on how I hit it I will definitely buy a 2 Fli Hi which is 18* to replace my Cobra T Rail 3 hybrid as well as a 2 Fli hi to replace my Wilson 4 iron. So my bag would be Driver, 3 wood, 2-4 MP Fli Hi, leave the Wilson 6 and xf pro 6 in the bag to bridge the gap of the SGI Wilson, and then MP37 7-pw. My question is are driving irons easier, as easy, or more difficult to hit off the deck than a SGI like the Wilson D100? One more note. I was thinking to have as little change possible through the set to go MP Fli hi 2-4, Wilson 6 and then the MP37 6-pw eliminating the xf pro altogether.

First post. Glad to be here. I can't hit a hybrid for the life of me. I currently play MP37 7-pw with acer xf pro 4-6 to gap accordingly. However I have a been toying with a 4-6 Wilson D100 leaving the xf pro 6 in the bag as well to bridge the gap of the SGI Wilson's. I have an MP Fli Hi cut muscle 4 on the way that I would replace the Wilson 5 with as they are both 24*. Depending on how I hit it I will definitely buy a 2 Fli Hi which is 18* to replace my Cobra T Rail 3 hybrid as well as a 2 Fli hi to replace my Wilson 4 iron. So my bag would be Driver, 3 wood, 2-4 MP Fli Hi, leave the Wilson 6 and xf pro 6 in the bag to bridge the gap of the SGI Wilson, and then MP37 7-pw. My question is are driving irons easier, as easy, or more difficult to hit off the deck than a SGI like the Wilson D100? One more note. I was thinking to have as little change possible through the set to go MP Fli hi 2-4, Wilson 6 and then the MP37 6-pw eliminating the xf pro altogether.

[quote name="MConstantineJr" url="/t/75751/driving-iron-less-draw-biased-than-hybrid#post_1019272"]First post. Glad to be here. I can't hit a hybrid for the life of me. I currently play MP37 7-pw with acer xf pro 4-6 to gap accordingly. However I have a been toying with a 4-6 Wilson D100 leaving the xf pro 6 in the bag as well to bridge the gap of the SGI Wilson's. I have an MP Fli Hi cut muscle 4 on the way that I would replace the Wilson 5 with as they are both 24*. Depending on how I hit it I will definitely buy a 2 Fli Hi which is 18* to replace my Cobra T Rail 3 hybrid as well as a 2 Fli hi to replace my Wilson 4 iron. So my bag would be Driver, 3 wood, 2-4 MP Fli Hi, leave the Wilson 6 and xf pro 6 in the bag to bridge the gap of the SGI Wilson, and then MP37 7-pw. My question is are driving irons easier, as easy, or more difficult to hit off the deck than a SGI like the Wilson D100? One more note. I was thinking to have as little change possible through the set to go MP Fli hi 2-4, Wilson 6 and then the MP37 6-pw eliminating the xf pro altogether.[/quote] To add, I can hit irons well. They are the best aspect of my game and I have considered going 3 wood, 5 wood, 3-pw, 3 wedges and putter. If they made 12 and 15 degree driving irons I'd consider that over the woods.

Sorry to be a thread hog! I should have mentioned as well I have coming along with the fli hi 4 a combo set of 5-6 mp60 and 7-pw mp32. I may just bag that set and add a fli hi 2 and 3. I think I like the sounds of that set up. Of course this is all contingent on the ease of use of 2-4 fli hi. I'd really like to hear any thoughts on those or any of my stupid ideas. I know 18 handicap aren't supposed to play blades or what not but that's all garbage if you ask me. I have no problems playing them. Just looking for a little more forgiveness in my long irons without using hybrids which I just can't get comfy with.

So went out and tried some driving irons and different hybrids.  Loved the drive irons of the tee; little lower flight, and much harder to hook.  Miss was mostly straight right (which I find MUCH less penalizing than a hook).  However, took a pretty good swing to hit high enough off the deck to maximize carry and hold greens.  Club fitter recommended I try some of the "player" hybrids, and man I was blown away.  I ended up with the X2 Hot Pro 20* (go figure).  Even with a slightly shorter shaft and one degree less loft I actually hit it further.  No more hooks either.

Sold.

You have a standard hybrid, so it may have quite a bit of offset which can contribute to hooking.

Hybrids with tour or pro heads usually have less offset than standard hybrids. This is something to consider.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I had the same problem and I bought Adam's DHY Hybrids.  More friendly than Irons not as forgiving as GI hybrids.

I got 18 (2) 21 (3) and 24 (4) they happen to fit my gaps well.

The solution for me was going to GI long irons and bringing in a 7w. Just couldn't make a hybrid work with course conditions here.

Dave :-)

I had the same problem and I bought Adam's DHY Hybrids.  More friendly than Irons not as forgiving as GI hybrids.

I got 18 (2) 21 (3) and 24 (4) they happen to fit my gaps well.

Hit the 21* other day; great club.  Long as hell and no hooks.  I'd gotten so used to trying hold off the Xhot just to hit it straight that it took me a bit to stop blocking these.

I have demoed a couple of the rebirthed driving irons... Vs the hybrid... Depending on the hybrid it could be a little more offset especially if it is part of an iron set... Because matched hybrids to SGI/GI iron sets have more offset than players irons.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!