IGNORED

Should Bernhard Langer Get Picked for the Ryder Cup?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Bernhard Langer Get Picked for the Ryder Cup?

• Yes
    • No

Can't see them going with anyone from that list other than McDowell, Poulter and Westwood. Better for the fans to pick the flashier players. Langer would just slow everything down to a snails pace, and probably not be able to keep up in the later rounds.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poulter is having a TERRIBLE year. If he gets picked I will be cheering for USA. Yes, my Ryder Cup favoritism is based not on where I'm from...but if Poulter gets picked or not.

Well, he's been hurt, hasn't he? I read somewhere where he almost pulled out of the British because of a wrist injury. If he's still injured the next few weeks, that could put a serious dent into his chances of being picked. If he's healthy, I think he is picked regardless of what kind of year he had. He is one of the best match players we have in the game today, and given the fact that no one else besides McDowell is standing out as a Captain's pick, he's got a good chance.

Langer's just a bit of idle 'fill' that bloggers and golf media are using to generate a non-story. The next time a genuine Ryder Cup story comes along, Langer will be humanely suffocated and forgotten. As most of you have said, it ain't gonna happen, and it'll fizzle out quickly, because without the words 'Tiger Woods' in the meta tags the article won't get SEO'd, hence why Golf Digest on-line with nearly always run a 'Tiger Woods' story of any tenuous description, which in itself prevents more interesting articles appearing

Back to the Cup though.

The more interesting angles in Europe are two fold

1: Will Luke Donald be overtaken?

2: What's going on in the management? McGinlay has repeatedly said he's going to pick on form, and yet his deputy has pretty well contradicted him and said he'd pick Westwood, McDowell and Poulter

It's not like Europe to get themselves off message

Now shall I mention Tiger Woods again and wrap it in h2 text to increase the index rating?

Actually, that sounds rather abrupt doesn't it? Not meant to me. I realise the difficulties with having to write something when blogging or commenting on golf, and I am at least grateful that the narrative isn't another Tiger Woods fitness bulletin, but there is absolutely no chance that Langer is under consideration.

There is an old adage in cricket, (not that I expect McGinlay to know that) that you do what the opposition would least like you to. 9 times out of 10, you'll have done the right thing.

Under the circumstances I'd have thought the wildcards who the American's would least like to face on European soil would include Poulter. Admittedly Poulter's brash, Londoness, won't necessarily endear him to Scots, but I'm sure that'll be overlooked. It would also be a mistake of course to think that the galleries are going to be exclusively Scottish too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Poulter and Rory teeing off for Europe

The American players I think we most fear and will want to take down include Bubba. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see Europe try and match Poulter against Bubba early as well. We know that Bubba gets rattled by a hostile crowd and no one is going to work them better then Poulter.

The other one we'd like to get early of course is Woods, not because we fear him, but because of the way that landing a few punches on him seems to deflate America

If the Euro's pick Langer ... with Watson's performance at the Open, I think he should pick HIMSELF !!    Talk about a matchup !!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the Euro's pick Langer ... with Watson's performance at the Open, I think he should pick HIMSELF !!    Talk about a matchup !!

Both of them would have a stroke before the turn.

Riley

Personally I'd pick Langer in a heartbeat, the way he's playing. He's not that old, and he's certainly in better form than either Poulter or Westwood, for example. EDIT. FWIW, I'm several years older than him and have no problem playing 36 holes in a day on successive days. And unlike Bernhard, I don't have a caddy... or much talent.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

I dont think Westwood's playing

I still think the emerging story might be Luke Donald yet.

I confess that I'm not totally up on the maths or formulae etc but what has to happen for him to get chased down? Would Bjorn overtaking Stenson  on the European List relegate Luke too? as Stenson then qualifies on the World list

I'd kind of inked Luke Donald and Dubuisson in for foursomes myself

I confess that I'm not totally up on the maths or formulae etc but what has to happen for him to get chased down? Would Bjorn overtaking Stenson  on the European List relegate Luke too? as Stenson then qualifies on the World list

Just a reminder the topic of the thread is about Bernard Langer :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Selecting Langer would be kind of a slap in the face of the players performing and playing whole year long on the Tour. Even besides from the fact that it is highly doubtful in my opinion if he will be able to perform on a level that is nessecary in the Ryder Cup. His season isn't build up towards the Ryder Cup in order to be on his best there, unlike a lot of other players.

~Jorrit

Selecting Langer would be kind of a slap in the face of the players performing and playing whole year long on the Tour. Even besides from the fact that it is highly doubtful in my opinion if he will be able to perform on a level that is nessecary in the Ryder Cup. His season isn't build up towards the Ryder Cup in order to be on his best there, unlike a lot of other players.

Personally, I doubt if there is a single top player who plans their season with the aim of being in their best form for the Ryder Cup. So that isn't an argument against selecting Langer. And neither is the "slap in the face" for other players. If they aren't playing well enough they don't deserve to be selected, no matter how many tour events they've played. The question is whether Langer is playing better than the alternatives. I'd say he is.

Personally, I doubt if there is a single top player who plans their season with the aim of being in their best form for the Ryder Cup. So that isn't an argument against selecting Langer. And neither is the "slap in the face" for other players. If they aren't playing well enough they don't deserve to be selected, no matter how many tour events they've played. The question is whether Langer is playing better than the alternatives. I'd say he is.

Agreed when players are playing not well enough, that's why I said 'performing' besides playing. A player (Langer) who is playing only a handful tournaments per year, probably with pretty much no pressure, just doesn't deserve to be picked over players with a good record all year long in my opinion.

~Jorrit

Not picking on you, but I find it odd that there's this apparent disdain for Dubuisson - not many seem to like him.    He is killing it on tour this year ... last I checked he was 2nd in the Euro points.     Seems like a nice enough guy & I think it's good for golf - I don't ever recall a really good Frenchman in European golf ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Agreed when players are playing not well enough, that's why I said 'performing' besides playing. A player (Langer) who is playing only a handful tournaments per year, probably with pretty much no pressure, just doesn't deserve to be picked over players with a good record all year long in my opinion.

But the European captain's problem is that very few of those from whom he will make his picks have been playing well. Who has "a good record all year long" who will not be selected automatically? Very few.

Langer has played in 14 tournaments on the Senior Tour this year, plus tying for 8th place in the Masters. Not exactly a handful, and while the pressure may be less on the senior tour people are still playing to win. Anyway, since he recovered his ability to putt pressure hasn't usually been a problem, he's not a choker.

I don't care, really, it's all a matter for debate. I just think they should pick the form players, irrespective of age, and he seems to be one of them.

But the European captain's problem is that very few of those from whom he will make his picks have been playing well. Who has "a good record all year long" who will not be selected automatically? Very few.

Langer has played in 14 tournaments on the Senior Tour this year, plus tying for 8th place in the Masters. Not exactly a handful, and while the pressure may be less on the senior tour people are still playing to win. Anyway, since he recovered his ability to putt pressure hasn't usually been a problem, he's not a choker.

I don't care, really, it's all a matter for debate. I just think they should pick the form players, irrespective of age, and he seems to be one of them.

My mistake then regarding the handful of tournaments. I thought he only played a few,probably just looked at the Europe Senior Tour.

~Jorrit

I voted no. He's having a great season on senior tour, but the Europeans have so many strong players and options that I just don't think it'd make sense to do that.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• Administrator

No chance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm torn. As someone who wants to see the U.S. team win, yes, I'd like to see the European team field Langer. As someone who finds Langer to be a detestable human being, I don't want him to get that sort of publicity or in front of a microphone.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 3554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!