IGNORED

Joost Luiten

Silent
Note: This thread is 1763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Schedule for the upcoming period:

Next week WGC Bridgestone, after that PGA Championship. Almost one month no tournaments and then 2nd week September the KLM Open (Dutch Open). Just ordered the tickets to go there myself as well on Friday.

Lets hope Joost can do well to move up a bit on the world ranking. I think I'll also go to the KLM Open, last year it was fun to be there.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Luiten, born in 1986, went pro in 2006. Before that, as an amateur, he won in 2004 the Dutch Boys Championship, Dutch Youths Championship and the Sir Henry Cooper Junior Masters. In 2005 he won both the Spanish as the German amateur championships. In teams he won in 2006 the Eisenhower Trophy where he played his final 5 holes in -6 (which gave him a wild card for the KLM Open, finishing 2nd), the Bonallack Trophy and the Palmer Cup.

As a pro he won on the Challenge Tour the Allianz Open of Toulouse (2007) and on the Alps Tour Circolo Rapallo Open. His first 'real' victory (European Tour) came in 2011, Ishkandar Johor Open. In the meantime Luiten suffered from a wrist injury which costed him quite some time. 2013 he really put himself on the map with two victorys in one year, the Austrian Open and on home soil his biggest and nicest victory ever on the KLM Open. That vicotry placed him on top of the Ryder Cup rankings at that moment. He ended the year within the top 50 of the world for the first time, as a result he will play in almost every 'big' tournament in 2014.

In 2013/2014 he played twice in a team match for Europe. At the Seve Trophy he was the best debut player ever (with Lourdy) winning all their matches together; his single match was lost though, but Europe won the trophy for the first time in over ten years. On request by McGinlay he also played for Europe in the EurAsia Cup. Pairing with Dubuisson they won 1 match and they lost 1, and at the singles Luiten was the only player for Europe (besides Jimenez) who won his singles match, resulting in a tie for the trophy.

In 2014 he is having quite a solid year. Playing steady, having a lot of high finishes and until a few weeks ago barely missed a cut. Only thing missing is a victory, came close a couple of times (twice missed by 1 shot).

Hope this is interesting for at least some of you, and maybe you will check his scores now every now and then (ánd you know now a little bit who Luiten is when you see him on the leaderboard). I will use this topic to update on his performances, and it can also used for discussion about him, his performances, the tournaments he plays him (who knows, maybe next year full time on the PGA Tour), news etc. Thanks for reading and participating!

I've been following along the thread, and something made me go look up various professionals' careers at owgr.com. I knew Joost had been around a bit (and unfamiliar to many of us in the US until the past couple years or so), but I found this enlightening about his career thus far.

Edit: Adding link:http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=14636 (if you want to try others)

Edit: I started with Jordan Spieth and clicked the graph page. Then typed in Joost. Apparently the web page doesn't update. Oh well. Sorry

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Interesting stuff, thanks for that. You can clearly see his 'lost year' because of his wrist injury in this graph.

~Jorrit

Luiten has been paired with Jimmy Walker for the first two days of the WGC Bridgestone Invitational.

Hopefully a good result for him here. The previous two participations of Luiten at the Firestone CC were not impressive.

~Jorrit

Pretty decent start of level par and T22. After a bad start (+3 after 4) a good recovery including four birdies and a back nine of -2.

~Jorrit

Only one bogey today, but also just one birdie: just outside the top 30 for now. Hopefully a good finish tomorrow resulting in a nice finishing position.

~Jorrit

Not a good finish, and another disappointing result in this tournament and in this season. This week his last performance in the USA this season, and before the KLM Open in September.

~Jorrit

Yes.. feel like the updates are the same every tournament. This season sucks.. :(

~Jorrit

• 4 weeks later...

After a rest of a few weeks Luiten will pick up his clubs again at home soil: the KLM Open. Could be an interesting tournament, with players like Kaymer, Jimenez, Bjorn, Donaldson, Gallacher and Tom Watson. For many players the first opportunity to score points for the Ryder Cup 2016 points lists.

The tournament will be played at the beautiful Kennemer Golfclub, where Paul Casey won last year's edition and Luiten won the year before that. I have tickets to go on Friday myself.

~Jorrit

After a rest of a few weeks Luiten will pick up his clubs again at home soil: the KLM Open. Could be an interesting tournament, with players like Kaymer, Jimenez, Bjorn, Donaldson, Gallacher and Tom Watson. For many players the first opportunity to score points for the Ryder Cup 2016 points lists.

The tournament will be played at the beautiful Kennemer Golfclub, where Paul Casey won last year's edition and Luiten won the year before that. I have tickets to go on Friday myself.

Silent.

Enjoy the tournament.

I will have Joost as my star player this week.A good each way bet.

Had a great day today at the KLM Open. Great organization, and saw some nice things and big names. Saw Kaymer miss an eagle putt by inches, Jimenez and Harrington in one flight, Donaldson missing the cut and Bjorn with a nice birdie. This picture is just before Luiten sinking his birdie putt at 7, in red you see Tom Watson. Luiten his round today not so good (+1), but still in a good position for tomorrow.

~Jorrit

An okay round today(-2), but a little bit too many mistakes. It wasn't good enough to be in contention for the win tomorrow. Hopefully a good last round tomorrow to get into the top 5-10.

~Jorrit

I really think Joost's best days are behind him. He looks nothing like the player he was in 2013/14 and with so much young talent coming through now in europe and all over the world i would bet a pound against a penny there's no way he's making it back inside the worlds top 50.  Only time will tell if he proves me wrong.

I really think Joost's best days are behind him. He looks nothing like the player he was in 2013/14 and with so much young talent coming through now in europe and all over the world i would bet a pound against a penny there's no way he's making it back inside the worlds top 50.  Only time will tell if he proves me wrong.

I certainly hope you are wrong. Besides my humble (and you might say worthless) opinion that he could (and should) improve technically, it would very bad for Dutch golf if Joost would drop down the ladder. Somehow in the teachning system, young Dutch golfers aren't coming through in vastly flows. There are some talents out there, but to few to mention. Robert jan Derksen (a steady European Tour member) ended his career. No one near in sight. BTW, I think Joost has a few 'flaws' (if that is the correct word) in his game. He is not overly long, his putting and chipping is somewhat just below average. If his chipping and putting stay that weak, it will always be a problem to rise through the rankings. And although I understand that you want to play on US soil, I would like to think that I he stayed in Europe, he could have won another tournament this season which could have helped his Ryder Cup chances.

I do not understand why there are so many young Swede and Danish players versus why that is not happening in my country. Joost could have a possitvie impact on that. A high ranking would certainly help. Golf on that high level is very competative. Top 75 is an achievement by itself.

But I hope he might win on the PGA tour. We have a 200 meter women's world champion, which we could never dream off.

Just my 2 cents.

I certainly hope you are wrong. Besides my humble (and you might say worthless) opinion that he could (and should) improve technically, it would very bad for Dutch golf if Joost would drop down the ladder. Somehow in the teachning system, young Dutch golfers aren't coming through in vastly flows. There are some talents out there, but to few to mention. Robert jan Derksen (a steady European Tour member) ended his career. No one near in sight. BTW, I think Joost has a few 'flaws' (if that is the correct word) in his game. He is not overly long, his putting and chipping is somewhat just below average. If his chipping and putting stay that weak, it will always be a problem to rise through the rankings. And although I understand that you want to play on US soil, I would like to think that I he stayed in Europe, he could have won another tournament this season which could have helped his Ryder Cup chances.   I do not understand why there are so many young Swede and Danish players versus why that is not happening in my country. Joost could have a possitvie impact on that. A high ranking would certainly help. Golf on that high level is very competative. Top 75 is an achievement by itself.  But I hope he might win on the PGA tour. We have a 200 meter women's world champion, which we could never dream off.  Just my 2 cents.

Well I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Many people have favorite golfers outside their home country. I mean golf really isn't a team sport overall. Joost seems like a real nice guy and he hasn't done too shabby considering how difficult golf really is. But I can understand your wanting to have a Dane become a top ranked golfer, but Joost is a pretty damn good representative.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!