IGNORED

Sun in your eyes rule?

Hacker
Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shorty

I doubt whether any of them could break 90 without this massive advantage.

Again ....let's just dream up some BS to narrow the gap.

That's what you got from my statement? Which is it, your reading comprehension not strong or if you put words in my mouth and push it to the extreme it's easier to argue?

James

Yes it is frustrating.  And maybe not fair.  But then again neither is that damn rule about not being able to take a practice swing in the bunker.  Don't argue it with me, send an email to the USGA! c2_beer.gif

Who says that you can't take a practice swing in a bunker? You can take as many as you want, you just can't touch the sand when you do.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo

Must be nice for the pros to have people down the fairway to stick a flag next to their ball wherever they hit it. Wonder if they would shoot higher with the same rules and no one to spot their balls for them like us. The longer you hit a ball, the longer it goes wayward.

The pros know exactly where a ball goes just by the feel off the face, aside from extreme wind conditions. I have seen "pros in the making" play (14 to 18 years old), they typically hit right on and know exactly where the ball goes.

Obviously, I have no idea by the "feel" off the face.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I play in the morning starting at 7 AM. Hole 1 faces east right into the sun. The dew on the green glistens majestically in the sun. There is no way to tell if the ball is on the green until you are about 3/4 of the way up to it. Today I hit a provisional when I had no idea where my first shot went. Found both on the green waiting for me. The sun is usually high enough to be less of a problem by the time I get to the next hole that faces east, hole 6. I know if I am making good time by where the sun is on hole 6. On the other hand I had a really good round with dense fog. I had to hit to the middle of the green rather than at the pin.

There is no such thing in the rules as an "adequate" search.  A search is a search.  The player has a maximum of 5 minutes to perform a search, and the time begins when he or his caddie arrive at the area where the ball is thought to be.   It doesn't matter if they are actually searching or not, the clock is still ticking.  It doesn't matter if they choose to stand around as you suggest, the clock is running, and after 5 minutes the ball is lost.

Got it, thanks.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If you can't find it you didn't hit it well. I have never had a problem finding my ball even on horrible shots. I alway take an educated guess based of the swing I delivered, sure enough it's always within that area .

If you can't find it you didn't hit it well. I have never had a problem finding my ball even on horrible shots. I alway take an educated guess based of the swing I delivered, sure enough it's always within that area .

I guess that's possible if you don't hit it more than 200 yards..

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

It is a matter of fact whether your ball went into a hazard, in other words you have to see it go there or see enough of the shot to be sure it did. This would be a red staked hazard or a yellow staked hazard. The rules don't  give a darn whether you can see or the golf course is ill designed. So, bottom line is if not sure, re tee and hit again, you are now lying three after you second tee shot.

Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!