IGNORED

Can the typical golfer hit the green from 150?

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And I made a spreadsheet of my GIR and FIR and this is what I found. Did this to help myself find weaknesses and strength.

F= Fairway G= Green

F par 5- 51%

F par 4- 41%

G par 5- 73%

G par 4- 62%

G par 3- 61%

G x<100- 84%

G 100-125 74%

G 125-150 68%

G 150-175 59%

G 175-200 57%

G 200-225 45%

G 225-250 31%

G 250+ 11%

Now believe me or not but my irons are the absolute best part of my game and if I'm 125+ I always go for the center of the green. I usually lose strokes with drives in trees making me punch out 1 or 2 times a round and my putting as I average 32.3 putts a round.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Call me maybe.

I might call you something else ...

but it would not be gentlemanly to do so.

Think what you like, and have a good day in the rough. ;-)

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

I might call you something else ... but it would not be gentlemanly to do so. Think what you like, and have a good day in the rough. ;-)

Now I'll even give you the stats my professional coach has on me and everything to prove that this isn't some sort of thought up concoction.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

• 2 months later...
I'm sort of surprised that nobody but myself has questioned the OP's "80% fairways" number.

FIR stats from today - 86% FIR.

As for approaches one on #12 par 5, 19 0 hybrid from 195 yrds stuck 12 ft from pin, #18 from 180 pin high a foot off on left fringe. #5 par 3 175 yrds rolled a foot off back onto fringe, #8 par 3 192 yrds again hit green but rolled to back fringe. Did stick a few from 70 to 110. Missed several more 150 to 180 yrd approaches, some a few yrds short/long or left/right.

Hitting the fairway at this point is not the problem... approaches on the other hand need some work. :blink:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

I would imagine that anyone who is near scratch should be able to hit the green from 150 yards about 50% of the time, more if it's from the fairway to a green that isn't heavily guarded. I'm not sure how others would fare.

I guess it depends on the definition of typical, and how often you expect them to hit the green.

I'm probably a "typical" golfer. Higher handicap, mostly a weekend player...

I "can" hit the green from 150, but I don't expect to. I'd say I'm probably about 25-30% from that distance with a clear shot.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

My definition of "typical" would be players in the 95-110 range, which is most of the course on any given Sunday, and those players can probably hit the green from 150 out 20% of the time at best.

As for me, when I do manage to hit the green from that distance the ball usually bounces or rolls off to some crazy greenside lie, because I can't get the ball up high enough to land softly, so I lay up and look for a real shot at up and down, no GIR but that's where I'm at as a player at this point, that's why when I practice I spend most of my time on the longer fairway shots, and hopefully someday I'll be able to get on in regulation more often on those par 4's.

Well, yeah they can, but they don't most of the time. That's why the typical golfer is not shooting lower scores. I think Erik said GIR was the most important stat as far as scoring goes.

If you're not a terrible putter, like me! :-D

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!