IGNORED

Noh Assessed Two-Stroke Penalty for Playing from the Wrong Green

Rulesman
Note: This thread is 3500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In addition, if a temporary green has been prepared but is not in play, it is also a wrong green.

Are You sure?

The rule speaks of  a wrong "putting green".

The definition for putting green doesn't mention a temporary green. Is a temporary green without a hole "prepared for putting"?

I cannot find a decision to back up your statement. Have you got one?

I only know golf clubs, which dececlare (by LR) prepared temporary greens, which are not in use as putting greens, as GRU, playing prohibited.

This means, that - other than in rule 25-3 - you wouldn't be allowed to stnd on that green while making your stroke.

I stand to be corrected, because you are known as one of guys with excellent knowledge of the rules in ths forum.

Are You sure?

The rule speaks of  a wrong "putting green".

The definition for putting green doesn't mention a temporary green. Is a temporary green without a hole "prepared for putting"?

I cannot find a decision to back up your statement. Have you got one?

I only know golf clubs, which dececlare (by LR) prepared temporary greens, which are not in use as putting greens, as GRU, playing prohibited.

This means, that - other than in rule 25-3 - you wouldn't be allowed to stnd on that green while making your stroke.

I stand to be corrected, because you are known as one of guys with excellent knowledge of the rules in ths forum.

A putting green is any area specially prepared for putting or otherwise defined as such by the Committee. The latter doesn't have to have a hole.

The reason that some clubs declare temporary putting greens as GUR is that either they don't know the rule or they believe that players may be confused by the 'no relief for stance' restriction.

In addition, if they haven't yet made a hole but want to protect the putting surface, GUR is the only option.

It appeared to me when it happened that a rules official watched the whole thing play out and only after the shot was played approached Noh. Shouldn't the official have given him help in advance of him making the mistake?

It appeared to me when it happened that a rules official watched the whole thing play out and only after the shot was played approached Noh. Shouldn't the official have given him help in advance of him making the mistake?

As Newby points out, the referee was unsighted.  But you are correct that had he been able to see that a player was setting about playing from a wrong putting green (or about to breach any other rule for that matter), he would have intervened.

Surprised the caddie didn't know this.

Years ago, this rule was really drummed into us during caddie training. Neither the head pro nor the greenskeeper wanted players gouging divots out of the wrong green with a 7 iron.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't believe he and his caddie didn't know this rule.

it's just sick he took that divot out off the green

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 3500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!