IGNORED

How to hit a Pull-Shank, impress your friends and influence people.

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a follow-up to some discussions I have had with @cipher , @nevets88 and others with regards to the existence of the Pull-Shank. Some seem to believe that the Pull-Shank does not exist, but I assure you it does. Below is an excerpt from one of the discussions that led me to shooting this video.

Is it possible to pull a shank?

Lol, paging @cipher. He would be the resident expert.

Don't fear I'm here.   Ah yeah...it is not very likely unless you hit just slightly to the inside part of the hosel.  It takes a lot of talent, but if you can pull it off you can even get a little draw on it.

"You're Welcome."

I think you could do it. You just have to move the sweetspot out far enough for a regular shank and then move it MOAR FURTHER than that. Basically hit it with the backside of the hosel. Voilá, pull shank.

Looking back, I feel that this discussion is incomplete without video of a Pull-Shank out in the wild. So here you have it, the elusive pull-shank. Easily repeatable, TRUST ME.

For those without software to break down frames, here are the critical positions of this shot:

First, it's important to tip out early so you can get the club head on the proper outer orbit,

Make sure you maintain that outwards drifting orbit all the way to impact, NO CORRECTING PLEASE, this will ensure that the hosel has travelled beyond the shank parameters and is constantly travelling outwards to the pull-shank spectrum.

That's pretty much it, doesn't take as much practice as you would expect, and once you have the technique it's like riding a bicycle. I must have hit 2 dozen of these before I lost interest and sold my clubs.

Here's a beauty caught in full flight.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well done @Ernest Jones ! To all the doubters, all we have to say is CHECKMATE! Booya! I have been off my shanking game a bit as of late, and have not been able to get the pull shank on film. This takes so much focus to be able to pull this off. If you are off by the tinier margin it won't work. Way to go!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Well done @Ernest Jones! To all the doubters, all we have to say is CHECKMATE! Booya!

I have been off my shanking game a bit as of late, and have not been able to get the pull shank on film. This takes so much focus to be able to pull this off. If you are off by the tinier margin it won't work. Way to go!

Yeah, I, personally am pretty confident that, going forward, I'll have this shot in the bag!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Not many people have that shot in the bag!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I saw a left hander, playing with right handed clubs do it. Darnedest shot I ever saw. I even asked him if he could repeat the process. He did..........

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I saw a left hander, playing with right handed clubs do it. Darnedest shot I ever saw. I even asked him if he could repeat the process. He did..........

Does he always play off-handed, if it's not his usual side it doesn't count.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

It's a fake!  Just like those Bigfoot videos. @Ernest Jones went to George Lucas and had their special effects wizards doctor this up.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

That's rather impressive, @Ernest Jones . You get that clubhead any farther out, you'd miss the ball completely :-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!