IGNORED

Can i be a club pro

Prodigy
Note: This thread is 6079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone i was just wondering what it takes to be a club pro? I am only 14 and when ever i play i seem to get better i just want to know if its realistic

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

If you're playing off a 12 at the age of 14 and if you keep improving, yes, you may be able to.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Peter Kessler said on his show this morning that there are 28,000 PGA teaching professionals in this country. I have no idea what it really takes to become a club pro, but I would think if you set that as a goal and you work hard at it you can do it.

A quick google search produced this - http://www.pga.com/improve/thepgains...instructor.cfm

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

Hopefully Ben will chime in. He is an apprentice to become a club pro at the moment.

If I can find the funds after I graduate college then this is something that I am going to pursue for sure.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

There are schools out there that have programs designed for this. Ferris State University in Michigan has a Professional Golf Management program. it is part of their business program and you actually earn a Bachelors Degree. It requires both academics and playing ability. The links below show what it takes to get in. I was up there a couple months ago and the course is very nice. It's a smaller school, but the campus is also very nice.

http://www.ferris.edu/pgm/admissionreq.cfm

http://catalog.ferris.edu/programs/122/
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Clemson University has a golf pro degree.

My Sticks:
DriverFT-5 9.5° Tour Accuflex Creation 65g Stiff -or-
:R7 Superquad Redboard Stiff
Woods::TEE CB2 Accuflex Creation 80g stiff
Irons:755 cb 4-SWWedges: CG10 Black Pearl 52,56,60Putter::Seemore Black FGP 34.25"

Hopefully Ben will chime in. He is an apprentice to become a club pro at the moment.

pin pon

To be thinking of this at age 14 is great! You'll be the best club pro ever. Here's what you need. 1) Get a job at a course, entry level Range or Cart Attendant. 2) After 6 months of working in a job you are eligible to take the Playing Ability Test. (PAT) 3) Go through the three levels of PGA certification. Receive your Class A certification. 4) Viola, you pretty much guarantee yourself a Head Pro, General Manager, Director of Golf, Tournament Coordinator, etc. job at any course that's looking. The kicker, I'm pretty sure there's an age restriction (18 years old). Which will be alright. In the Southern CA Section of the PGA, we have a special program for Juniors. Getting yourself invloved with the PGA, at no matter the age, will do nothing but good for you. I wish I'd have known about this when I was 14. To be young and a Class A Pro is something that can open a lot of doors. Tremendous opportunity. Took a little searching but, I found the home page to what would be your section. The PGA New England Section.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I wish I had not taken 6-7 years off from the game when I was in High School and college. With a program like the one in my own state I could have had a career in the field. I would love to be making a living from the sport.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

pin pon

i just have one question what do you have to shoot for the playing test also i say thanks to everyone who is giving me support

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

i just have one question what do you have to shoot for the playing test also i say thanks to everyone who is giving me support

Don't forget, free rounds to Sand Trap members when you are at Pinehurst

Good luck man, I was WAY TOO immature at your age to be thinking that smart
The best feeling in golf is a long walk with a putter - Greg Norman

In my Atlas Bag
FT-3 9° - Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63S
X-Tour 3 Wood 15° - TT Stiff MP-60 Irons 3-PW - DGS300 2 Up MP-T 51° 56°(10)/60°(4) Vokey SM Oil Can Studio Style Newport 2 V1xHome Course Bear Slide

Don't make the mistake, there is no connection between being a great player and being a club pro. I know lots of golf pros who are not great golfers. In fact, the PAT (player ability test) is really easy to pass. They had one at our course, the players played the white tees 6400 yds, the pins were right in the middle of the greens, and they had to shoot like 76-76.

Why I am saying this is don't worry about the playing side of becoming a club pro, make sure you do well with your academics. You would be surprised to see the difficulty of the academic side. Way more guys don't finish the program due to academic struggles rather than because they can't play well enough.

Don't get me wrong though, there are some really good players too. Its just not a requirement.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Typically, you've got to shoot less than 13 over for two rounds. Both rounds played the same day with no break between. So it's a little tougher than "really easy." But still not terribly hard.
Don't make the mistake, there is no connection between being a great player and being a club pro. Way more guys don't finish the program due to academic struggles rather than because they can't play well enough.

Quite true...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator
Typically, you've got to shoot less than 13 over for two rounds. Both rounds played the same day with no break between. So it's a little tougher than "really easy." But still not terribly hard.

I've heard the cut line is usually about 15 above the course rating (times two for the two rounds). So 156 or 157 is the usual number around here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!