IGNORED

My Swing (hrpschrd)

hrpschrd
Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Sorry for the short reply (watching some baseball), but take a look at this video:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good info there.  I hope you are able to progress towards some of the results you are looking for.

Best of luck!!!

In my Stand Bag:
Driver: 910 D2 9.5*- Stiff Ahina
3W: Snake Eyes

7W: Snake Eyes (IDK why i love this club)
Irons: 690.MB 3i-PW Stiff
Wedges: CG12 54*, Form Forged 900 60*

Putter: Versa White #1

Ball: Pro V1x *used and cheap/free*

• Administrator

Erik;

I have posted questions about my casting on Instructions and Playing Tips. Should I have been using this forum instead?

Bob

You can use either.

If the question is a general question about casting, the other thread is probably fine.

If the question is highly pertinent to YOUR swing, here is best.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik; I have posted questions about my casting on Instructions and Playing Tips. Should I have been using this forum instead? Bob

I'm obviously not Erik, but generally speaking, if you have a specific question related to your swing, ask here. The Instruction and Playing Tips forum is more general golf theory discussions. That said, there's a lot of overlap, so it's no big deal. Edit: Erik answered as I was typing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I would like to start over! Chasing the casting thing was a waste of time and really messed up my swing although I learned that this is a very helpful and friendly site and that iPhone cameras scan top to bottom.

I still would appreciate swing advice. Here is my swing, pre-casting worries:

It seems that I have only about a 90 degree angle between my arm and club. That should be less, right?

I seem to have an ok shoulder turn and hip turn. I seem to have an ok hip turn and slide at the beginning of the downswing. My arms seem near my body. I usually draw the ball so my swing plane is ok.

When my hands are close to my legs the angle is pretty large so something was wrong earlier, right?

What can you guys see?

What can you guys see?

You'll notice that the hips slide back on the backswing, this can make it more difficult to achieve a "full" turn. You'll want to keep the left hip forward as you turn the hips more.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

How does that translate into a later release on the downswing?

With the hips staying forward it's going to be easier to get the weight/hips forward while not having the head go forward, when the head goes forward you can't get the arms down fast enough and the only way to hit the ball is to lengthen the swing radius by uncocking the wrists. Just do some slow swings at home, have the head go forward and notice how you'll want to "throw" the club out. Then do another one where your hips transfer forward with the head staying centered.

Understand that it won't completely "fix" it, it'll make things better, but for you Key #3 is a long term project.

Notice the axis tilt (green line) created by the hips being forward and the head being steady. Helps get the hands/arms further forward. Very important for achieving Key#3 or reducing casting.

Mike McLoughlin

Yes, I see that but I also see that in my swing. My head is well behind my hips and I have that same body tilt.

I don't know how to capture the single frame to a URL and put it here but I assume you can see it in the video. The difference is that my club is ahead of my hands just after impact.

Yes, I see that but I also see that in my swing. My head is well behind my hips and I have that same body tilt.

I don't know how to capture the single frame to a URL and put it here but I assume you can see it in the video. The difference is that my club is ahead of my hands just after impact.

It's not the same. Your head goes forward to "fake" trying to move the weight forward at impact. This will throw the wrist angles out too early. Compare the two pics. Note on the right how the head hasn't gone forward but the weight (flex in his left knee) is well forward.

Mike McLoughlin

Yes I see that but the two images are not at the same position. If you wait a little on my video you see quite a bit more knee movement and tilt angle. I still think you are right about the hip turn on my swing not being adequate but it seems awkward trying to coordinate my hips and my arms.

I just found this video and it seems like it might be something I can practice to get my hip turn more active.

"The Hogan pivot drill"

Yes I see that but the two images are not at the same position. If you wait a little on my video you see quite a bit more knee movement and tilt angle. I still think you are right about the hip turn on my swing not being adequate but it seems awkward trying to coordinate my hips and my arms.

It doesn't matter if I go a few frames further in your swing, your "lag" is already toast well before that. You can't recover from where you are at A4.5 (start of the downswing).

You can do whatever you want, I gave you my take, good luck.

Mike McLoughlin

I just found this video and it seems like it might be something I can practice to get my hip turn more active.

"The Hogan pivot drill"

@hrpschrd , Mike knows his stuff.  You would do well to listen to him.

If you are still the skeptical sort, take a look at my swing thread (14ledo81).  With just a bit of advice (that I have tried to follow) from Mike, see how far my swing came since this spring.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Mike:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be disagreeing with you. I am only trying to understand. Clearly my arms and body are not working right and clearly I have swung my arms out before turning my hips. I do get my hips turned but so late that, as you said, my lag is "toast". Looking at video swings is new to me which is exactly why I asked someone else to look with an experienced eye.

By trying to turn the hips and letting the club follow along (my wording from that Hogan video) I think I am getting the timing better. It seems like the body turn does the work and the hands and arms are just along for the ride at this point. Been playing for many years with many lessons but it seems like I am just beginning to understand. I don't ever remember being taught this part of the swing and yet it seems crucial. I will practice some more and put up another video.

Thanks

Been playing for many years with many lessons but it seems like I am just beginning to understand. I don't ever remember being taught this part of the swing and yet it seems crucial.

Yeah we get that a lot. I personally had to forget a lot of the stuff I was originally taught.

The vast majority of golf instruction leaves a lot to be desired. It's based on mis-information and what players felt they did.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!