IGNORED

Adrian Peterson Indicted On Child Negligence

RJH999
Note: This thread is 3487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting segment on The Herd this morning about AP.

Colin said "Of the 1000s of people I've shaken hands with, including lots of pro athletes, there was only one memorable handshake I've ever had in my life it was Adrian Peterson. It was so unsettling and bizarrely aggressive..." It was so abnormally intense that I remember going home and telling people he's not all there."

There are a lot of women and smaller people working at this company and one day AP shook about 9 hands and literally enjoyed the pain he was creating for smaller people..."

Ron, I don't think that's going off topic. I think you hit on a valid point, and one that's extremely relevant to the subject matter.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ron, I don't think that's going off topic. I think you hit on a valid point, and one that's extremely relevant to the subject matter.

Thanks man! I still havent mastered the art of thinking before typing LOL

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I tend to always go racial but hear me out.

Agree.  Not sure why, but I have also noticed this.

In the African American community most men are raised by their mothers.

And the rest of us are raised by ..... space aliens???

(I bring up race beacuse AP is black, Im black, and so is most of the NFL)

Noted.

We are told early and often "what momma says goes" or "Im the mother you're the child." As long as I can remember it was drilled into me do not question my mother. If you're bought up getting spankings or whoopins you think it's normal. As weird as it may sound my mom would whoop me with a switch and 2 mins later clean me up and tell me she was only doing it out of love. Or my favorite one was "Im whooping you now so the police wont have the chance to do so later."

Again, what does any of this have to do with being black?

Your implication that white kids (or any other race, for that matter) aren't raised by their mothers, or apparently aren't disciplined by them, is borderline offensive.

I dont know AP but Im 98% sure he thinks he's doing his duties as a dad by disciplining, but he went too damn far.

Now this we can agree on.  I'm not saying 98%, but it seems as though that was likely his thought process.

Noted.

There's no question that black children are disproportionately raised by single mothers when compared to other races. It is what it is (sorry Shorty). That's what (I believe) Ron was saying, not that white people don't have moms.

• Upvote 2
Ryan M

Noted.

Your implication that white kids (or any other race, for that matter) aren't raised by their mothers, or apparently aren't disciplined by them, is borderline offensive.

Now this we can agree on.  I'm not saying 98%, but it seems as though that was likely his thought process.

I think the difference @RonTheSavage is highlighting the belief / reality that a higher percentage of black men aren't very involved in their children's lives.  My father worked and my mother raised us but my father was there every night.  While my mother was the one that yelled, screamed and hit us when we were bad 99% of the time, it wasn't close to what would happen if dad had to discipline us and her greatest threat was "wait til your father gets home".

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Agree.  Not sure why, but I have also noticed this. And the rest of us are raised by ..... space aliens??? Noted. Again, what does any of this have to do with being black? Your implication that white kids (or any other race, for that matter) aren't raised by their mothers, or apparently aren't disciplined by them, is borderline offensive. Now this we can agree on.  I'm not saying 98%, but it seems as though that was likely his thought process.

Maybe racial wasnt the right word to use, Im only trying to give a point of view from this side of the color spectrum most times. Since alot of times we're talking about athletes that share the same skin tone as I do. I wont be doing that anymore, didnt know it was offensive. Im not saying other races arent raised by mothers Im only saying most blacks are raised by ONLY mothers in a single parent household. I guess I should've made that more clear. I guess I should change my avatar to a picture of Al Sharpton or something sheesh! :whistle:

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Maybe racial wasnt the right word to use, Im only trying to give a point of view from this side of the color spectrum most times. Since alot of times we're talking about athletes that share the same skin tona as I do. I'll stop that from now on.

Im not saying other races arent raised by mothers Im only saying most blacks are raised by ONLY mothers in a single parent household. I guess I should've made that more clear.

I guess I should change my avatar to a picture of Al Sharpton or something sheesh!

Nah, you're OK Ron. Your post on the topic was extremely cogent. I'd recommend to all of us that reading a post twice is sometimes a good idea before commenting.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

I'd recommend to all of us that reading a post twice is sometimes a good idea before commenting.

Great advice.

Sometimes I read a post twice...change it...post it...and later realize I should have read it 3-4 times. :-D

Back to the topic, what are we predicting the NFL's suspension response will be? Looks like they're looking at it under the domestic abuse category...which would mean an automatic 6+ game suspension.

Ryan M

Interesting segment on The Herd this morning about AP. Colin said "Of the 1000s of people I've shaken hands with, including lots of pro athletes, there was only one memorable handshake I've ever had in my life it was Adrian Peterson. It was so unsettling and bizarrely aggressive..." It was so abnormally intense that I remember going home and telling people he's not all there." There are a lot of women and smaller people working at this company and one day AP shook about 9 hands and literally enjoyed the pain he was creating for smaller people..."

Interesting. I think Cowherd is a blowhard though. [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/77146/adrian-peterson-indicted-on-child-negligence/80_40#post_1055216"]Agree.  Not sure why, but I have also noticed this. And the rest of us are raised by ..... space aliens??? Noted. Again, what does any of this have to do with being black? Your implication that white kids (or any other race, for that matter) aren't raised by their mothers, or apparently aren't disciplined by them, is borderline offensive. Now this we can agree on.  I'm not saying 98%, but it seems as though that was likely his thought process. [/quote] You ever listen to "Dear Mama". LOL. [quote name="RonTheSavage" url="/t/77146/adrian-peterson-indicted-on-child-negligence/80_40#post_1055195"]I like what Chris Carter said that he loves his mom, she tried her best, but there are some things that she did wrong. Im not trying to go :offtopic: here and I tend to always go racial but hear me out. In the African American community most men are raised by their mothers. (I bring up race beacuse AP is black, Im black, and so is most of the NFL) We are told early and often "what momma says goes" or "Im the mother you're the child." As long as I can remember it was drilled into me do not question my mother. If you're bought up getting spankings or whoopins you think it's normal. As weird as it may sound my mom would whoop me with a switch and 2 mins later clean me up and tell me she was only doing it out of love. Or my favorite one was "Im whooping you now so the police wont have the chance to do so later." I dont know AP but Im 98% sure he thinks he's doing his duties as a dad by disciplining, but he went too damn far. Sorry for rambling but Im gald CC said what he did, moms are wrong sometimes. Maybe this will start a much needed conversation about the subject not just in the black community but everywhere.[/quote] I thought it was fine IMO. --------- Anddd...He WILL play this week. Big news.

Riley

Great advice.

Sometimes I read a post twice...change it...post it...and later realize I should have read it 3-4 times.

Back to the topic, what are we predicting the NFL's suspension response will be? Looks like they're looking at it under the domestic abuse category...which would mean an automatic 6+ game suspension.

I would think 6+ games would be about right. The courts and child protective services may be a little more hardnosed and more may come out than what we know.

It seems the more I hear and read about it the worse it gets.

I'm from a culture like the black community where corporal punishment is not only used but encouraged but going overboard is not condoned.

Interesting. I think Cowherd is a blowhard though.

I usually disagree fairly vehemently with Colin on social issues with great regularity but all in all I think he has decent credibility and if he has information I don't have I'll listen (with a few grains of salt).

I would think 6+ games would be about right. The courts and child protective services may be a little more hardnosed and more may come out than what we know. It seems the more I hear and read about it the worse it gets. I'm from a culture like the black community where corporal punishment is not only used but encouraged but going overboard is not condoned. I usually disagree fairly vehemently with Colin on social issues with great regularity but all in all I think he has decent credibility and if he has information I don't have I'll listen (with a few grains of salt).

4-6 games seems reasonable. But he's playing sunday. ------- http://deadspin.com/why-colin-cowherd-keeps-getting-away-with-this-john-wal-1616964080 I don't like his nonsense on John Wall.

Riley

I would think 6+ games would be about right. The courts and child protective services may be a little more hardnosed and more may come out than what we know.

It seems the more I hear and read about it the worse it gets.

I'm from a culture like the black community where corporal punishment is not only used but encouraged but going overboard is not condoned.

I usually disagree fairly vehemently with Colin on social issues with great regularity but all in all I think he has decent credibility and if he has information I don't have I'll listen (with a few grains of salt).

If this is covered under domestic violence then it should be 6 games.  I haven't read all the details of the policy but I would think that the suspension length is variable with 6 being minimum and the potential for a longer suspension depending on the specific circumstances.

Cowherd tries to be outrageous and take extreme positions to troll people to call into his show.  Some people consider a strong handshake to be a form of sincerity and respect, AP may just not appreciate his strength is significantly greater than the average sports show radio host.  I hope he didn't make Colin cry.

Joe Paradiso

My take: I'm ok with parental corporal punishment, had it done to me and did it to my son. AP's explanation sounded rational, confident as I would have been in that situation. Where he went awry in his explanation, however, was at the question "how many times did you strike him?" He said he didn't know, didn't count. I call BS on structured discipline at this point. I spanked my son 3 times in his life with the backside of a hairbrush. I hit him 3 times each time. It was measured punishment, I was in control, even waited 30 min or so to cool down so I wasn't angry, which served the dual purpose of having my kid wait with the spanking looming over him. Appears to me that AP lost control and beat his kid out of anger. That's abuse in my mind. Don't believe he deserves jail time and hopefully he doesn't miss much time from the game. He's a great player who I believe wants to be a good dad but he lost control of himself and a 4-yr old caused it, pretty questionable behavior.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

My take: I'm ok with parental corporal punishment, had it done to me and did it to my son. AP's explanation sounded rational, confident as I would have been in that situation.

Where he went awry in his explanation, however, was at the question "how many times did you strike him?" He said he didn't know, didn't count. I call BS on structured discipline at this point.

I spanked my son 3 times in his life with the backside of a hairbrush. I hit him 3 times each time. It was measured punishment, I was in control, even waited 30 min or so to cool down so I wasn't angry, which served the dual purpose of having my kid wait with the spanking looming over him.

Appears to me that AP lost control and beat his kid out of anger. That's abuse in my mind. Don't believe he deserves jail time and hopefully he doesn't miss much time from the game. He's a great player who I believe wants to be a good dad but he lost control of himself and a 4-yr old caused it, pretty questionable behavior.

The bolded section is where it gets dicey. Do you send a man to jail for this? Or do you send him to some sort of anger management? Besides being free with the body and having a bunch of illegitimate children, has AP ever had any run ins with the law, or any other indication that he was some sort of low-life scumbag (My favorite TST term now lol)?

If he honestly believes he didn't do anything wrong and that he was just disciplining his child, maybe he doesn't need to be "rehabilitated", but instead he needs to be educated. This is where a 6-game suspension and court ordered therapy/anger management might play a better role in AP and his son's life.

Ryan M

The bolded section is where it gets dicey. Do you send a man to jail for this? Or do you send him to some sort of anger management? Besides being free with the body and having a bunch of illegitimate children, has AP ever had any run ins with the law, or any other indication that he was some sort of low-life scumbag (My favorite TST term now lol)? If he honestly believes he didn't do anything wrong and that he was just disciplining his child, maybe he doesn't need to be "rehabilitated", but instead he needs to be educated. This is where a 6-game suspension and court ordered therapy/anger management might play a better role in AP and his son's life.

This. And no, well kind of. He likes speeding. http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=4710315&src;=desktop http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/16/adrian-peterson-gets-another-speeding-ticket/

Riley

My take: I'm ok with parental corporal punishment, had it done to me and did it to my son. AP's explanation sounded rational, confident as I would have been in that situation.

Where he went awry in his explanation, however, was at the question "how many times did you strike him?" He said he didn't know, didn't count. I call BS on structured discipline at this point.

I spanked my son 3 times in his life with the backside of a hairbrush. I hit him 3 times each time. It was measured punishment, I was in control, even waited 30 min or so to cool down so I wasn't angry, which served the dual purpose of having my kid wait with the spanking looming over him.

Appears to me that AP lost control and beat his kid out of anger. That's abuse in my mind. Don't believe he deserves jail time and hopefully he doesn't miss much time from the game. He's a great player who I believe wants to be a good dad but he lost control of himself and a 4-yr old caused it, pretty questionable behavior.

Well stated. Think of the word "discipline." It implies much more than just a punishment. It is training. And the trainer can't be out of control.

I think a lot of people go to corporal punishment first, because that's what they got as a kid, and it often is not the most effective way to train a child. With my son and nephew, taking away privileges was always more effective. My nephew is an adorable little shit, and you could spank him for 10 hours and get nothing done. Put him in the corner for 10 minutes, and you've killed his soul. May as well pour hot coals on him.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

The bolded section is where it gets dicey. Do you send a man to jail for this? Or do you send him to some sort of anger management? Besides being free with the body and having a bunch of illegitimate children, has AP ever had any run ins with the law, or any other indication that he was some sort of low-life scumbag (My favorite TST term now lol)? If he honestly believes he didn't do anything wrong and that he was just disciplining his child, maybe he doesn't need to be "rehabilitated", but instead he needs to be educated. This is where a 6-game suspension and court ordered therapy/anger management might play a better role in AP and his son's life.

I'd be on-board with this line of punishment because I too believe it would be best for him and the kiddo.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 3487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!