IGNORED

Par Golf, and the low single digit players you know

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have to disagree with this...if you think us scratch to low single digit handicappers hit it like pro's...well you've never played with a pro. The difference between a 2-0 and a guy making a living on tour is about the same as a 0-2 and a 12.

I don't know that I represent the typical low handicap golfer. My index is currently a 1.2 and trending to a .6. I turned 50 years old a week ago and my club head speed with a driver is between 95-105. I don't hit it a long way's but can be "sneaky" long at times. How is my ball striking...well it's better then a twelve but trust me I have plenty of misses and off center hits..enough that it drives me crazy. For me the difference is I'm a decent putter, have a good short game and I can control my misses or at least have a VERY good idea of where they are going to be. I also know how to manage a golf course. I know when to hit driver...I know when not to hit driver...

I chase par just like some of the guys on TV..I miss more then I hit it perfect....

For me it is about managing the misses, not making the big numbers...knowing where to be aggressive and even sometimes playing for a bogie.

I was going to comment, but it's unnecessary now because the above is so well stated.   cfritchie  says it all above......

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I was going to comment, but it's unnecessary now because the above is so well stated.   cfritchie  says it all above......

Yeah, even I can see improvement in my contact with the ball at a 13-14 handicap even compared to when I was an 17-18. I watched some videos from 7 months ago, and some more recent ones. There is really a big difference. Even though I don't feel like I'm getting around any more efficiently on the course, my scores show that I do.

The scratch golfer is just so consistent, that it looks miles away from where I am now. Probably because it is.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems like at least half the high school team members can do it. I would guess more than half of any collegiate team.

No not that many. Atleast at my highschool last year, we had 1 6 foot 10 kid who easily hit it 300, one 6 foot 6 kid who hit it 300 fairly regularly and 1 200 plus pound kid who could get 300 if he wanted. The other 12 of us were nowhere near there. We lost all of those kids this year and I dont see anybody replacing them distance wise. We will only have 1 senior next year. I think for juniors, you pretty much have to be physically capable, which only really happens at age 17 when you've filled in. I would assume at a good D1 school maybe 60 percent of kids can hit it 300 if theye ally wanted, but none hit it 240 like you see in highschool. It's more just a flexibility and strength thing

And I would presume most of the pros actually in contention, the ones you hear about, hit it much farther than the average. Guys like johnson, Donald, etc each hit it 290 as the short players

Zach hits it 282 and Luke 278, on average.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Zach hits it 282 and Luke 278, on average.

I'm pretty sure those numbers are skewed. Even they say they hit it closer to 290. It's in their WITB with golf digest. Granted there are many factors. It's like me hitting one 260 then 100 and saying I hit the ball 180

I'm pretty sure those numbers are skewed. Even they say they hit it closer to 290. It's in their WITB with golf digest. Granted there are many factors. It's like me hitting one 260 then 100 and saying I hit the ball 180

The numbers 282 and 278 are an average of drives on two holes a tournament were the holes are facing in opposite direction to negate the effects of wind.

I am not totally sure if they are holes that more players hit driver on or not. I could say that Johnson could pull out another 10 yards, heck 14% of his drives went over 300 yards. Still 41% went from 280 to 300.

Even sometimes they catch one, or the conditions are right to allow them some extra roll. Heck 10 yards could be catching an upslope versus a downslope on a fairway.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You need to have a conversation with my wife!

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

Well if these guys hit it 290 and they're the short hitters as you say, then how is the Tour average for driving 288 yards?

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Well if these guys hit it 290 and they're the short hitters as you say, then how is the Tour average for driving 288 yards?

I said they are short for people actually in contention. There are a lot of pga pros you don't really hear about

enjoying this thread,for me its the ability to "score" well ,combining all of the above attributes with what the better player knows he's capable/not capable of in any given round...my buddy plays off 4 and he just doesnt miss fairways,wind,rain links,parkland.....its unbelievable! yet he cant putt for toffee,if he could he'd be scratch or +'s in a heartbeat while im off 12,spray it wildly off the tee at least 3 times a round costing who knows how many shots and rely on my putting to keep me in the match...if i could drive the ball id be single figures just like I was...........20 years ago!

i feel old all of a sudden

Note: This thread is 3506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!