IGNORED

Can't take soccer (football) seriously

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know this wasn't directed to me, but it seems like a general statement that anyone who doesn't/won't like it is only because of that. Simply put, it's not true. Seeing something "played at the highest level" won't make you suddenly like it. But that shouldn't/doesn't reflect negatively on the sport in general. Not everyone is going to like everything. I don't like soccer, just have no interest in it and watching it played by the best won't change that.

This might be true about you, but not necessarily everybody.  I can see how seeing something played at the highest level very well MAY make somebody suddenly like it.

It is a deliberate ploy to stop the opponent hearinmg the ball come off the strings, which helps you know what the ball will do.

Huh. (Please notice the period, not a question mark ;))  I watch a fair amount (on the low end of fair; as in some of the majors most years) of women's tennis and I've never heard anybody give such a specific explanation for this.  I've heard them suggest that it's certainly a type of gamesmanship, a cheap attempt to distract the opponent, but never heard anything about the sound of the strings.  If true, that's very fascinating.

Either way, I kinda wish they'd tone it down a bit, but don't mind it too much.  Maria Sharapova is the worst of the bunch but, well, she's Maria Sharapova. :8)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This might be true about you, but not necessarily everybody.  I can see how seeing something played at the highest level very well MAY make somebody suddenly like it.

Admittedly, I should have phrased it better. But I still don't necessarily think it would make someone suddenly like the sport, though it could very well spark their interest in the sport which could lead to liking it. This is dependent on whether they were initially interested of course, if they were already interested then it definitely could make them suddenly like it.

Like a lot of sports, a lot of it requires an allegiance to a team. Otherwise it is hard to get involved emotionally.

To a person who doesn't watch golf, Rory needing a 10 footer to win the 2015 Masters is just a dorky looking guy trying to hit a ball into a hole.

Even being a golf fan, it still boils down to a dorky looking guy trying to hit a ball in the hole B-) . Difference is we know and care about why he's doing it. I understand what you meant though, just had to poke fun a bit.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I know this wasn't directed to me, but it seems like a general statement that anyone who doesn't/won't like it is only because of that. Simply put, it's not true. Seeing something "played at the highest level" won't make you suddenly like it. But that shouldn't/doesn't reflect negatively on the sport in general. Not everyone is going to like everything. I don't like soccer, just have no interest in it and watching it played by the best won't change that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

It is a deliberate ploy to stop the opponent hearinmg the ball come off the strings, which helps you know what the ball will do.

Huh. (Please notice the period, not a question mark ;))  I watch a fair amount (on the low end of fair; as in some of the majors most years) of women's tennis and I've never heard anybody give such a specific explanation for this.  I've heard them suggest that it's certainly a type of gamesmanship, a cheap attempt to distract the opponent, but never heard anything about the sound of the strings.  If true, that's very fascinating.

Either way, I kinda wish they'd tone it down a bit, but don't mind it too much.  Maria Sharapova is the worst of the bunch but, well, she's Maria Sharapova.

I always thought it was to nudge a bit of extra power in the stroke like shot putters or weight lifters do in their moves.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Admittedly, I should have phrased it better. But I still don't necessarily think it would make someone suddenly like the sport, though it could very well spark their interest in the sport which could lead to liking it. This is dependent on whether they were initially interested of course, if they were already interested then it definitely could make them suddenly like it.

Even being a golf fan, it still boils down to a dorky looking guy trying to hit a ball in the hole . Difference is we know and care about why he's doing it. I understand what you meant though, just had to poke fun a bit.

Oh, absolutely.  No disagreement here.

I always thought it was to nudge a bit of extra power in the stroke like shot putters or weight lifters do in their moves.

Yeah, it certainly started that way, but since got to a point where it's like "come on, really???"  With some of them, it's still believable that that is all it is, because it doesn't happen every time, and it varies as well.  In Sharapova's case, it's like an intentional (almost) scream every single time.  (I still forgive her though, cuz, well, yeah O:) )

One major point about pro soccer is the hot chick factor. Not really brought out in this thread fully, I would think the only real useful measurement of popularity would be how many hot chicks are in the stands. I notice soccer has a LOT of attractive fans.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Like a lot of sports, a lot of it requires an allegiance to a team. Otherwise it is hard to get involved emotionally.

To a person who doesn't watch golf, Rory needing a 10 footer to win the 2015 Masters is just a dorky looking guy trying to hit a ball into a hole.

I can agree with that. I love football, but without the Browns, it would probably just be another sport.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I can agree with that. I love football, but without the Browns, it would probably just be another sport.

Without the Browns it would be a better sport! :whistle:

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Without the Browns it would be a better sport!

Still upset that we embarrassed the Bengals on National TV IN CINCY?!!?!?!?!

Ryan M

Does it count as a national game if nobody gives a **** about either of the teams playing and nobody watches?-Ha ha ha.[quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/77605/cant-take-soccer-football-seriously/72#post_1080055"] Still upset that we embarrassed the Bengals on National TV IN CINCY?!!?!?!?! [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Still upset that we embarrassed the Bengals on National TV IN CINCY?!!?!?!?!

My dad has a saying, the sun shines on a dog's ass some days. ;-)

It's all good, Bengals haven't been much to yell about in so long I'm just happy they are worth a damn again. Either way, as long as the Steelers lose to either of them I'm a happy camper.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

My dad has a saying, the sun shines on a dog's ass some days. ;-) It's all good, Bengals haven't been much to yell about in so long I'm just happy they are worth a damn again. Either way, as long as the Steelers lose to either of them I'm a happy camper.

That's not it. It goes: you can get a good luck at a cow by stickin your head up a butchers ass, er, wait ... You can get a good look at a butcher by sticking your head up a cows ass ... Oh nevermind.

Does it count as a national game if nobody gives a **** about either of the teams playing and nobody watches?-Ha ha ha.

Two teams very much in the playoff hunt...your "joke" is tired.

Ryan M

Youre the type of fan that other fans laugh at.-Take a joke. Chill man. Who cares if they are in the playoff hunt? Theyre not big national broadcast teams. Neither is my team.[quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/77605/cant-take-soccer-football-seriously/72#post_1080096"] Two teams very much in the playoff hunt...your "joke" is tired. [/quote] Edit-Sorry this isn't the NFL thread.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Youre the type of fan that other fans laugh at.-Take a joke. Chill man. Who cares if they are in the playoff hunt? Theyre not big national broadcast teams.

Neither is my team.

Edit-Sorry this isn't the NFL thread.

Sorry, when you live in Cleveland, you get tired of the constant jokes about how your team sucks. We get it...trust me...it's just constant...from everyone. Hell, you're not even the first person in the golf forum to make that same crack about that specific game lol.

Back to soccer...

Ryan M

Sorry, when you live in Cleveland, you get tired of the constant jokes about how your team sucks. We get it...trust me...it's just constant...from everyone. Hell, you're not even the first person in the golf forum to make that same crack about that specific game lol.

Back to soccer...

For the record @Slice of Life , each time that joke has been made, it has been preceded by a "bragging" post by you.  It's not exactly fair for you to trumpet and then back off and go "hey, no fair, you can't make fun of us!" when you started it.

He's right ... nobody outside of Ohio is watching or caring about a THURSDAY night midseason game.  Sorry, it's just the truth.

For the record @Slice of Life , each time that joke has been made, it has been preceded by a "bragging" post by you.  It's not exactly fair for you to trumpet and then back off and go "hey, no fair, you can't make fun of us!" when you started it.

He's right ... nobody outside of Ohio is watching or caring about a THURSDAY night midseason game.  Sorry, it's just the truth.

Really? I definitely started that one right? Not Jeremie? C'mon man...

And there are plenty of NFL fans who watch Thursday night...I was watching the 0-9 Raiders take on the Chiefs last week...

Ryan M

Really? I definitely started that one right? Not Jeremie? C'mon man... And there are plenty of NFL fans who watch Thursday night...I was watching the 0-9 Raiders take on the Chiefs last week...

Yes. It was in response to this post: [quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/77605/cant-take-soccer-football-seriously/60#post_1080055"] Still upset that we embarrassed the Bengals on National TV IN CINCY?!!?!?!?! [/quote]Mg point is simply that you should expect a joke at the Browns expense every time you brag about them. They are the Browns after all. If you don't want to listen to the jokes, there is a verrrry easy solution ... Don't try to talk them up.

Yes. It was in response to this post:

Mg point is simply that you should expect a joke at the Browns expense every time you brag about them. They are the Browns after all. If you don't want to listen to the jokes, there is a verrrry easy solution ... Don't try to talk them up.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!