IGNORED

Woody's "Non-Putt"?

iacas
Note: This thread is 6040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Did Woody Make an Attempt to Putt the Ball at 15 in Round 3 at the Tour Championship?

• Yes
    • No

. . .Tiger Woods was Woody's playing partner and he didn't seem to have a problem with the ruling...

Well that's because Tiger was spanking him at the time. Tiger had some more in store and the last thing he wanted Woody to do was have him demolish his putter over his skull and be disqualified (under Rule 4-3 b) for playing with a damaged club.

You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of you said he slammed his putter down behind the ball...but it was in the direction of the ball. Looks like he stubbed it trying to make a stroke. He then lifted the putter off the ground and made the forward stroke.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

not really sure if anyone has addressed this but...

We all have opinions that are on both sides of the issue. As we all know, the bottom line is Woody has to live with it. If he honestly believes he didn't make the stroke, fine.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

If he said he didn't try to hit the ball in and the officials agreed then let it go, If Tiger did the same you would think what great control of the putter not to hit the ball.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no way that was NOT a stroke.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

ok, I honestly think he intended to hit the ball. But i'm still learning the rules...If I intend to hit the ball and completely whiff, not even hitting the ground or anything, that counts as a stroke???

I was under the impression that if you unintentionally hit the ball with a practice swing or a double hit (like I do out of the sand or pitching sometimes) counted as a stroke, but not completely missing the ball. Thanks in advance for clafification.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

I think Woody told the truth.

Fluxcapacitor- I believe that if you intend to hit the ball, but whiff, it's still a stroke. When it wouldn't be a stroke is if you accidentally knock your ball off the tee during your setup or waggle. But still, if you take a full swing and mean to hit the ball but don't, it's a stroke. Also, your double hits (I'm pretty sure) are two strokes too. I'm not entirely sure whether it's two strokes or if it's a stroke and penalty for hitting a ball not at rest.

I would be a big deal if you were in the group tied for 11th Sunday. Of if you were Furyk who finished one spot behind Woody in the FedEx Cup. He clearly stubbed the putter trying to stroke the ball. Since one stroke could be worth tens of thousands of dollars there would be sufficient motivation to just say otherwise when no one can prove it.

Woody's emotional antics have made him somewhat loveable and fun to watch. but this time his emotions got the best of him. I expect Woody's stock among fans to slide next season. SubPar

Didn't take long for that to get on youtube. It looks pretty clear to me that he meant to hit the ball. It looks like he took a mini jab at it and stubbed his putter.

Was that his lucky shirt? What's he doing wearing it on Saturday? That was his problem.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I think Woody told the truth.

If you take a swing with the intention of striking the ball, the stoke counts, even if you never touch the ball. You can abort the attempt on the downswing as Tiger did on Sunday with no stroke counted.

If you accidentally hit the ball, as in a practice stroke, you are penalized 1 stroke for moving the ball and you must replace the ball as near as possible to its original position and play the next shot from there. Davis Love made a big mistake on the green recently and hit the ball with a practice putting stroke. He then played the ball from where it came to rest. By not placing it back in the original spot, he had to be penalized 2 more strokes for playing to next shot from the wrong spot. Accidentally knocking the ball off the tee is not a stoke because the ball is not in play till you take a stroke at it. If you address the ball and it vibrates, or even moves but settles back in its original spot, there is no penalty. SubPar

Thanks again for the clarifications...I might have a stroke or 2 to add to my next game now!
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

• Administrator
If you take a swing with the intention of striking the ball, the stoke counts, even if you never touch the ball. You can abort the attempt on the downswing as Tiger did on Sunday with no stroke counted.

All correct. It's also worth pointing out that you need not stop the clubhead before it reaches the ball. You can adjust mid-swing and swing over the top of the ball or something on purpose if your intent is not to hit the ball.

For people without the strength of Tiger Woods, that's often a better alternative... though most people also don't have the willpower or brain power to think to do this to begin with. Anyway, the rule is all about intent: if you intend to hit it, it's a stroke. If you don't intend to hit it (and don't), it's not a stroke.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel like the announcers made this such a mountain out of a mole hill issue. I was watching live and thought he slammed down the putter and then stroked it. He didn't miss a beat on his walk and even the best actors couldn't have done that and not hesitated one bit if they indeed whiffed. If he had intent and missed the ball and could keep moving like that then he's one hell of an actor. Tiger has done that before on small putts that he's missed...I think the error was Woody getting too close to the ball when he slammed down his putter.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

it was really just one stroke...he just hit it fat
;)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• Administrator
Can someone post a link to a video of this put?

Uh, like the video on page three of this very thread?

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthr...7778&page;=3#20

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Yes, a whiff is a stroke.

2. I've seen plenty of pros on short putts tap the putter down then lift it and make a smooth stroke.

3. Woody didn't do that. He was walking at the time. I think it missed it in such a way that he felt (a) "no, I didn't succeed in making the stroke I wanted to make," (b) and I missed enough to get away with it if I make the tap-in look real, (c) "I'll just tap it in and stride away."

The problem is, since his putter grounded and stopped and didn't go past or over the ball, the ruling is all about the golfer's "intention." Only Woody knows what he intended.

IMO I think he was so angry that when he missed he rationalized away his real intention and bought into his "correction" as the true putt. Kind of like OJ.

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Reg Steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

Note: This thread is 6040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!