IGNORED

Hi - New to the site

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been lurking here for a while, and finally thought I'd join in, if you'll have an old lady in the house.

I'll be 62 on Sunday, and just took up the game a couple years ago. I'm a retired IT Sys Admin. I played for a year back in 1970-71, but real life got in the way, and I never continued. I wasn't that bad at it either, but I didn't have much support in playing then from family. So a couple years ago I decided to take up the game again, and it has changed a lot since the old days.

Another thing is that I've always managed to stay in somewhat good condition all my life, and for my age am in athletic shape.

I joined the women's club at one of the local clubs this year and established a handicap that dropped from 37 to 24.8 over 5 months. It took a lot of time and effort. I drive the ball about 230 yards and hit about 8 FIRs per round. Those other six? The usual crap that happens with us higher handicap players.

Winter goals: the driving range is heated - buy unlimited ball pass and groove my swing. Strength and flexibility train. Lessons and learn how to shape shots. I want to learn how to hit a fade and a cut. Add 20 yds to drive. Yeah, I'm that person. That will make a the first hole (short par 5) a driver + 8 iron.

I've looked at Lowest Score Wins . I'm going to buy and read it.

I'm retired. What else have I got to do? I don't bake.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow!!! 230 yds is a very good drive. Being 66 myself, I know how age can sometimes mess with your swing, looks like you don't have any problems in that department..Anywho, welcome to TST, it's a great site with tons of great info, and the folks here aren't bad either..lol Enjoy your stay here.

We welcome all @DrvFrShow !  We look forward to your contributions.

Lowest Score Wins is a great place to start.  We also have several sections dedicated to improvement below.  The Member Swing section can be really helpful.

If you have any questions about using the site, check out our "Using the Site" section , and Little Things New Users can learn.

Here are some great threads to get started and familiar with The Sand Trap

Want to follow some bright people and some awesome members? Check out this article . Want to talk about more than golf or quickly find like-minded folks? Check out our Groups .

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Winter goals: the driving range is heated - buy unlimited ball pass and groove my swing.

Glad you joined the site.

This sentence really caught my attention, because on one hand it is a good thing, but on the other it could harm you in the long run.

What I mean is that it is great that you will get an unlimited amount of balls to hit, however it is a bad thing if you continue to groove a swing that has technical flaws in it (which you will do if you just hit ball after ball without a purpose.

I really recommend you go ahead and take a look at the below thread at least before you start hitting balls at the range

Understanding the above thread will really help you want to find a specific direction to go in and a priority piece to work on.. Then you will most likely see the long lasting improvement you are looking for in the shortest time possible.. Trust me, I wasted my early years of practice at the range just hitting ball after ball.. after a sensible and convincing talk from all the experienced guys here I understood that I was just hurting my self, and eventually I had to find out what I wanted to work on, and only work on that one thing.. One thing at a time!!

Its great to have you and good luck with your game!  You've paid your dues already and now you get to enjoy golf among other things!  Congrats!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Welcome @DrvFrShow

This is a great place to learn and chat so don't be shy. Look forward to hearing a lady's point of view on some of the topics discussed.

Brian

Brian   

What I mean is that it is great that you will get an unlimited amount of balls to hit, however it is a bad thing if you continue to groove a swing that has technical flaws in it (which you will do if you just hit ball after ball without a purpose.

I really recommend you go ahead and take a look at the below thread at least before you start hitting balls at the range

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Thanks for the link. Great information. I use a mirror whenever possible. I need to check my wrists because I have a tendency to bow them too much at the top of my back swing.

Winter. I go during the day - hardly anyone is there. I have access to the mirrors. :-)

I'm also a classically trained musician, so fortunately I know how to practice something. You don't start out full speed. You go through the movements. You're going to make mistakes when you're learning it. Then you go through sections faster. Then you put it together at a comfortable pace and take it to full tempo to see what happens. Then work on the areas that need fixing. Then go back to full tempo and see what happens.

I am working with a pro and plan twice monthly lessons over the winter unless he flies down south. He's the coach. I'm just the dumb athlete. If he flies down south, I'll get someone to video me, and see what I do and what I can improve on.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!