IGNORED

Why do people spit around at the golf course?

kafka01
Note: This thread is 6035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey,

in one of the golf mags i read a couple of days ago was an opinion of an editor why people/tour players actually spit around on the golf course.

I always wonderd why that is the case if i see it on TV/sometimes on the course that people spit around, even thats kinda seldom where i play.

Personally i find it quite inappropriate in a sport with an etiquette like golf has. And i never even was pushed close to the personal exhaustion you would have if you played 90mins of soccer, running all the time around when playing golf.

So who does it, and for what reasons do you do it?

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

• Administrator
Personally i find it quite inappropriate in a sport with an etiquette like golf has. And i never even was pushed close to the personal exhaustion you would have if you played 90mins of soccer, running all the time around when playing golf.

It has nothing to do with etiquette. You're outdoors. I don't think it's inappropriate to take a leak off in the woods somewhere if nobody can really see it let alone spit somewhere. My goodness, should we avoid adjusting ourselves too when our boxers bunch up a bit? It's not as if we spit at people, in the cup, or on another player's clubs.

I spit sometimes because I feel like it, because I want to get rid of some extra spit, whatever. Heck, I spit on a golf ball to clean it off sometimes. If you don't spit on the golf course, I bet you're in a very, very small minority.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Working in the golf business, I've come to learn that dipping (chewing tabacco) is quite common place amongst golfers.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I spit on the course as well, mainly because I drink gatorade on the course and it leaves a film on your tongue, nowhere near the greens or other players, also spit works good to clean your balls/clubs.
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

Working in the golf business, I've come to learn that dipping (chewing tabacco) is quite common place amongst golfers.

Yup

I find myself spitting around the course as well. I used to play baseball, so bad habits catch up. I DO NOT spit on the greens though. Either by myself or with others.

Same here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With me, the situation is quite different. I tend to spit all over the golf course, but I have quite a good reason! I have Cystic Fibrosis, and it causes mucus to grow in my lungs, and when I cough, it comes out of the lungs, and I spit it out. Thus I spit a lot (I cough a lot). Sometimes I can't manage to walk off the green or tee box due to being out of breath from coughing. I try to be careful about it, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

What's In My Slingshot OSS Bag.

Driver: Sasquatch 460
Fairway: Sasquatch 3-wood
Irons: Idea A2 OS 3-PWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Sand WedgePutter: Melbourne II

I generally think it is hard for people not to spit. You spit everywhere else when spit gets into your mouth so you just commonly spit on a golf course. I spit on a golf course but I also do pound it down so that other golfers behind me don't there ball land in it or just walk past it.

Driver: G2
3 Wood: Launcher
Irons: FoundersWedges: Putter: Tru TechBall: The Longest NoodleBag: Grom If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up. ~Tommy...

I spit on my walk from the green to the next tee box after a bad hole often. I don't even think of doing it, I just do it.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Thought I'd mention that I do not dip. Nor do I spit on the course. I don't spit anywhere under any circumstance other than after brushing my teeth.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

sometimes when I play bad and get really upset I tend to spit a lot... everywhere. Sometimes on my opponents or in the face of my caddy if he gave me the wrong yardage.

No but seriously. You gotta spit sometimes. It can affect your game to have a lot of spit in your mouth all the time and being forced to swallow.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

sometimes when I play bad and get really upset I tend to spit a lot... everywhere. Sometimes on my opponents or in the face of my caddy if he gave me the wrong yardage.

Well i read about the thing to stick your tongue out to loosen some important muscle groups while you swing - maybe there is also a logical reason behind spitting in golf?

Actually i´m suprised that from the responses in this thread it looks like a very common thing on the course and not an exception - then i probably just have to get over it and look the other way if people do it. Thanks for the responses

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I think spitting is just bad manners. I've lived and travel often overseas, and in many cities I've been, spitting is in the same level as littering. And a golf course is not the outdoors like the wilderness. It is a public place like a restaurant, or a shopping mall. I especially would not spit in the presence of women or business associates.

nothing wrong with it except on the green its disgusting!

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

I'm of the camp that spitting is pretty nasty. Yes, people take leaks on the course but at least they go into the woods.

Not that I care too much about it, but if I lose yardage b/c my ball is stuck in someone's mountainous expulsion of a loogie, I'm going to be PO'd.

Wuzzinmebag:

Driver: Burner Draw 10.5°, Reg Flex
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19°, Reg Flex
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22°, Reg Flex4-GW: S9, Nippon 900 XH Steel ShaftSW: 588 DSG, 56°; 14° bouncePutter: White Hot XG #3 33"igolf GPS caddie(Somewhat) lowering that handicap one round at a time...

It's just spit. I don't think it's a big deal. You are outside, it's grass, spit if you want to. If I need to spit, I spit. Pretty simple really :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

i dip, i spit, its a natural way of a dipper's life... not on the tee's or greens... i thought about it, but since for one, they are high-traffic areas, and 2, the grass is so short that it would easily be noticeable, i changed my mind... so i always at least step off of the green or tee about a foot...

Note: This thread is 6035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!