IGNORED

What to you makes golf... Golf

InternalGolf
Note: This thread is 6064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Everbody loves a certain concept about golf.... But what? To me I love the manly or honesty that players play by. I know not all players do but the players I do play with are honest. I love that people don't cheat. Of course f bombs are dropped when a bad hit is hit but you don't cheat. That's what I love.

What do you guys love about golf?

Driver: G2
3 Wood: Launcher
Irons: FoundersWedges: Putter: Tru TechBall: The Longest NoodleBag: Grom If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up. ~Tommy...

Getting up at 5 AM on a Saturday to spend the rest of it trying to hit a small ball into an even smaller hole.

There's something about that, it keeps me coming back again and again. Maybe it's the realization that I could do so much better than I currently do, and I could in theory pull off all perfect shots for 18 holes and shoot in the upper 40's for 18 holes, that I keep trying. (I am assuming every par 5 is driven in two, some par 4's are made in one shot, and every other hole is birdied.)
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Golf is the first thing in my life that I've both enjoyed and not been particularly good at (at the beginning). I mentioned this to many people, and I just hear "that's golf."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love it because no matter how bad/good you are you can always be better. If you have a bad hole on hole 1, hole 2 is a whole new ball game and a fresh start. Also what other game is practicing just as fun as playing the game? Even if I'm not on the course I can go to my local driving range and practice pretty much every aspect of the game therefore making it very accessible.
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

today i had a 10 on a par 4 and the next hole was a 2 on a par 3...thats golf

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

Just teeing of at 5am and watching the wild life and not hearing the cars or jackhammers thats what golf is all about.And yes the fbombs may abound but THAT IS GOLF

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

The sportmanship. People in who are competing with each other don't wish for others to fail like in basically all other sports. Well if you're in the clubhouse at -16 under par and the guy in the leaderball is -16 you probably hope he will miss his birdieputt on 18th. But other than that you probably want to win against people when they play the best. In other sports like soccer you will see players making cheapshots and what not to come out on top.

That is what makes golf, golf. And the best sport in the world.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

Trying to figure out what I did to hit that "one shot". Everyone has that one shot in their past that either holed-out or stopped so close to the pin that even Phil could make the putt. I play entire rounds to hit that "one shot".

Yup .... that's it.

Also the values in golf. You feel like you've done something good. Golf is life. a) wait your turn b) be quiet when it's someone else's turn b) if you do something wrong you are punished c) if you do something right you are rewarded d) honesty e) integrity f) environmental stewardship there must be a list like this somewhere on the internet.........

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

Everything you guys have said is why I play. Couldn't agree more. I'd add the challenge. You're challenging your body and mind, and its you against yourself. Yea you play against people, but for me its all about doing my personal best. And the fact that no one will ever shoot a perfect game. There are just too many variables. Wind, humidity, the sun changing directions of the grass, and on top of that you have to build a swing that is exactly the same everytime. For me its got to be the challenge.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

I love that for one shot, one hole, even a stretch of holes, I can be as good as the best players in the world. There is no other sport where you can do that. Well maybe bowling or darts. Unfortunately it won't last, but I can hit that perfect approach shot or chip in for birdie. I also love the challenge that comes from knowing that the course is going to shoot par every day and that it's my job to try and beat it. I am very competitive in everything I do. However my biggest opponent is myself. i want to beat my best score every time out.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Those are all reasions I totally agree with.

Driver: G2
3 Wood: Launcher
Irons: FoundersWedges: Putter: Tru TechBall: The Longest NoodleBag: Grom If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up. ~Tommy...

There is a lot of reason why I love golf... but these two are what makes golf to me.
1.- It makes that I forget of evreything. (School, exams, friends, etc)
2.- For that 3 hours and a half of 4 hours I feel relaxed.

Regards

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

no matter how good you play or how bad you play, Golf for me always provides that challenge of doing better then the last time....

for example, when I was in school and played baseball, if I went 3 for 5, or 3 for 4 whatever, there was room for improvement but not much room, in Golf no matter how well I may have scored weather it was 9holes or 18holes, I know that somewhere out there on the course I left some shots that should/could have been made, and the challenge is the next time to improve on that.....it's always a challenge playing golf, more so against yourself none the less.

great post by the way

I like the relaxation and the fact that in order to play well you must be relaxed and the more relaxed you are the better you play. There is just some real sense of peace on the golf course which is usually in very beautiful and natural surroundings. Of course I like the challenge of getting better and amount of creativity you can have with shot selections. Measuring yourself against yourself without worrying about others is also a great stimulus.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

The challange. Played sports since I was a kid, and all the way throughout my High School years. I was very competitive, and this game of golf is extremely challenging. Not every shot is the exact same, you battle through different elements (wind, rain etc.), and you have your good days and bad days. For some reason, after a bad day, oddly I keep coming back for more. To me, amongst other things, this is why I choose to golf.
Driver: Nike 9.5° SasQuatch SUMO²
Fairway Woods: Adams 16° Tight Lies 3 Wood
Hybrids: Adams 19° Idea Pro Hybrid
Irons: Callaway X-18 4-AW (Rifle 6.0 Precision)
Wedges: TaylorMade: 56/12 Degree RAC SatinPutter: Odyssey 34" Tri-Ball SRT PutterBall: Callaway HX HOTHome...

didn't know what the fuss was about 10 years ago, as i was still heavily involved in 'traditional' sports such as tennis and soccer

although soccer is still my number 1 love, it is getting harder to organize matches as i get older, and you always need someone to compete against in order to know whether you have improved

golf, on the other hand, is a continuous process of competing against yourself, both physically and mentally. this is what makes me golf :)

Taylormade R5XL Plus - Regular
Nike CPR 3 22'
Callaway X-14 Pro Rifle Stiff
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56'
Mizuno Bettinardi

Note: This thread is 6064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!