IGNORED

My Swing (cbrister)

cbrister
Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Slow the backswing down a bit, focus on keeping it all together with the slower backswing. You can concentrate on the mechanics at that point. You won't lose power or distance on the downswing like you think you will, I used to have the same problem. It felt like I lost power, but you maintain posture and the recoil is the same as a speedy takeaway.

• 7 months later...

This may be the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard, but I have a very difficult time setting the club face up square to the target. It doesn't look comfortable, the grip isn't comfortable, nothing. I've been hooking like crazy.  How do i get over the mental block?  "A" is the shot I hit most often. I know the grip is round and it should feel the same no matter what, but it doesn't. It's frustrating and makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

What's in the bag...
Driver: :macgregor: Jack Nicklaus persimmon driver
Irons: :mizuno: MP33 forged blades, 3-PW
Putter: :seemore: FGP
Ball: :pinnacle: Pinnacle Gold....or whatever I happen to find while digging around in the bushes :-)

From earlier posts make sure the hands aren't back like in this pic. Have them a little forward. That will set the face more square or even a little right.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1072385

In terms of the swing make sure the arms don't "fly" off the body. Keep the upper arms on your body as you rotate into the followthrough.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From earlier posts make sure the hands aren't back like in this pic. Have them a little forward. That will set the face more square or even a little right. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1072385]http://thesandtrap.com/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1072385[/URL] In terms of the swing make sure the arms don't "fly" off the body. Keep the upper arms on your body as you rotate into the followthrough.

I need to update my swing post. My golf class at college helped immensely and got me consistently down into the nineties. When I'm swinging well I'm low nineties/high eighties. This hook problem comes and goes. My hands are more forward for sure. Looking at that pic, I don't know how I ever swung like that. As far as the hook, I think I may not be shifting my weight to the left for some reason. I think it's staying right in the middle or going forward and staying there, which is causing me to just wheel around and not slide my hips forward. My normal shot is pretty straight with a slight draw. I'll try to get a new video up this afternoon.

What's in the bag...
Ball: :pinnacle: Pinnacle Gold....or whatever I happen to find while digging around in the bushes :-)

Impact pic. @mvmac I'll put up the actual video later tonight. I'm putting this up cuz I'm impatient. I noticed the club catches up just before impact. From the video, it looks like I don't rotate my chest through.

What's in the bag...

[IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/132947/width/640/height[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1205944"] From earlier posts make sure the hands aren't back like in this pic. Have them a little forward. That will set the face more square or even a little right. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1072385]http://thesandtrap.com/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1072385[/URL] In terms of the swing make sure the arms don't "fly" off the body. Keep the upper arms on your body as you rotate into the followthrough.

Impact pic. @mvmac I'll put up the actual video later tonight. I'm putting this up cuz I'm impatient. I noticed the club catches up just before impact. From the video, it looks like I don't rotate my chest through.[/quote] [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1205944"] From earlier posts make sure the hands aren't back like in this pic. Have them a little forward. That will set the face more square or even a little right. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1072385]http://thesandtrap.com/t/77964/my-swing-cbrister#post_1072385[/URL] In terms of the swing make sure the arms don't "fly" off the body. Keep the upper arms on your body as you rotate into the followthrough.  [/quote] Anything that sticks out to you?

What's in the bag...

Anything that sticks out to you?

Like you said, the clubhead is ahead of the ball, flipping it pretty good. Want it to look more like this, shaft and lead arm lining up at impact, not before it (Key #3). How to get there depends on what your priority piece is. Need to see the swing and what's going on.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac,

here are the new swing videos. The video face-on with the driver looks far better than the face-on with the iron. I tried to swing just a bit steeper and it made swinging through much easier. There was also no hook. Is it possible that my subconscious was flipping the club because my path was too in-to-out, in an attempt to square the face up?

What's in the bag...

Looks better, keep working on it. Also, make sure to flare both feet out, will help with steepening the pivot.

Mike McLoughlin

Looks better, keep working on it. Also, make sure to flare both feet out, will help with steepening the pivot.

Thanks! What would you consider my priority piece?

What's in the bag...

Thanks! What would you consider my priority piece?

Turning the feet out and having the left shoulder working down longer on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Turning the feet out and having the left shoulder working down longer on the backswing.

working down longer...how so? 

What's in the bag...

Like this.

Ok. Is my stance in the iron videos ok? It seems to me like i'm really crouched. I also notice that my head stays still laterally, but raises up before impact. I don't have a problem with topping though. 

What's in the bag...

Ok. Is my stance in the iron videos ok? It seems to me like i'm really crouched. I also notice that my head stays still laterally, but raises up before impact. I don't have a problem with topping though. 

I would prefer it if you turned your feet out ;-)

I wouldn't worry about the dtl view for now. Grip also looks a little palmy in the left hand. Will help you hinge your wrists more on the backswing and help you retain some "lag" on the downswing.

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

Mike McLoughlin

I would prefer it if you turned your feet out ;-)

I wouldn't worry about the dtl view for now. Grip also looks a little palmy in the left hand. Will help you hinge your wrists more on the backswing and help you retain some "lag" on the downswing.

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

Ok. Sorry for all the questions. I had the best ball striking day of my life a few weeks ago and felt like I was making good strides, but now its like I've never hit a golf ball in my life. It's pretty discouraging. 

What's in the bag...

• 1 year later...
(edited)

Updated swing for the first time in a long time. How's it look?

Edited by cbrister

What's in the bag...

13 hours ago, cbrister said:

Updated swing for the first time in a long time. How's it look?

It looks a bit better. Your feet are still not flared. How is your game going?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!