IGNORED

My Swing (AbsoluteTruths)

AbsoluteTruths
Note: This thread is 1133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had fun today out on my local course. Played 11 holes. Had a Groupgolf voucher and today was the last day I could use it.

I think I am finally getting the weight transfer part. For me it was the feeling in the left knee.

I was almost alone out there today and it even rained a little but it was enjoyable. No more slicing all shots went either with a little draw or a hook.

I have got the inside move but it is extending through the follow through that I am still working on.

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

Had a great lesson with my coach Chuck Waltz today. My wife came along to watch.

Here are some notes I took.

My shoulders were open so he had me move my right shoulder back and soften my right arm so that you can see my left forearm above my right from behind.

Hands need to be in front of the right thigh at the delivery position with the club angling up and a little back inside target line.

Hands need to keep moving forward while my wrist unhinge and impact the ground in front of the ball.

I should practice half swings making sure I get all the points mentioned before moving to full swings.

I was also swinging too much to right field in the follow through so I have to watch that and also keep my elbows close together maybe get a ball to put between my elbows. Has anyone found a good ball for that?

Doug

5 hours ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

I was also swinging too much to right field in the follow through so I have to watch that and also keep my elbows close together maybe get a ball to put between my elbows. Has anyone found a good ball for that?

I like this one.

https://www.tourstriker.com/shop/product_details.aspx?p=238

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I forgot to say that my right hand was coming off the club at impact and my coach had me hitting some balls with just the right palm against the left thumb(PP#1). You can see this in this video of my lesson.

On 12/21/2016 at 1:38 AM, mvmac said:

That's kind of expensive for a beach ball on a lanyard.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

My handicap went up but that is to be expected.

Went to the range and worked on my priority pieces. I was able to hit the driver very well but not the irons. But this to is to be expected since my last lesson introduced some major changes I have to work on.

The plan is to put together my golf cage today.

Doug

• 1 month later...

I had another epifany in my golf cage yesterday. My coach told that there are only two arm/hands/wrist movements. Cocking uncocking the wrists and the rolling of the forearms.

So I concentrated on that while turning back and through. Uncocking through impact. l was really connecting with ball well. I was also keeping my elbows close together like my coach advised me at my last lesson.

Any thoughts?

Doug

34 minutes ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

Can someone tell me how to rotate this please

If you took the video on your phone (and if you have an iPhone).

https://theappfactor.com/how-to-rotate-sideways-videos-on-iphone-and-ipad/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

4 hours ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

I had another epifany in my golf cage yesterday. My coach told that there are only two arm/hands/wrist movements. Cocking uncocking the wrists and the rolling of the forearms.

So I concentrated on that while turning back and through. Uncocking through impact. l was really connecting with ball well. I was also keeping my elbows close together like my coach advised me at my last lesson.

Any thoughts?

My opinion is that any time we can reduce swing thoughts or simplify what can be a complicated process, we've likely made the process easier to execute. While I don't know enough about the golf swing to agree or disagree, if the thought is helping you hit the ball better it sounds like good advice.

Assuming you've been able to get out to the course, how's the game coming along?

Jon

3 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

My opinion is that any time we can reduce swing thoughts or simplify what can be a complicated process, we've likely made the process easier to execute. While I don't know enough about the golf swing to agree or disagree, if the thought is helping you hit the ball better it sounds like good advice.

Assuming you've been able to get out to the course, how's the game coming along?

I have not been on the course in more than a month. You are correct It will not be proven to be effective till I am on the course or the range.

41 minutes ago, mvmac said:

If you took the video on your phone (and if you have an iPhone).

https://theappfactor.com/how-to-rotate-sideways-videos-on-iphone-and-ipad/

I did it on my Android tablet.

Doug

8 minutes ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

I have not been on the course in more than a month. You are correct It will not be proven to be effective till I am on the course or the range.

Sorry Doug, I wasn't even thinking along those lines when I asked how the game was coming along. It was just a general question. I haven't been out on the course since November so I'm always envious of those of you down south. 

Nice practice setup by the way.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Had a really good lesson with my coach. Has me really coming from the inside. I was draw/hooking everything at the end of the lesson.

For the last couple weeks after the lesson I have been practicing every day in my cage. I find this much better than going to the range maybe every other week.

I played a round last weekend. I am really hitting the ball much firmer and getting better distance. I was on or near GIR on almost every hole. My short game and putting were not good so my score did not reflect my improvement.

I am going the get a short game lesson next time I see my coach.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Had a short game lesson with my coach. He found some bad flaws in my swing so we could not work on short game until I fix them.

I was lifting my right heel in my back swing and jutting my right knee out on the down swing. I also was moving my left knee too far toward the ball on my back swing. He had a PVC gadget that sits on the ground in front of my knees and told me not to hit it with my knees on my back or down swing.

I made one at home and have been practicing with it. Swing feels more compact now.

Doug

• 3 years later...

OK I am back after almost 4 years. Lots of major life events kept me from even picking up a club. I am taking lesson and what we have found is my right knee bends and straighten too much in the back swing. So my major problem is my circle of the swing never ends up in the same place resulting in fats, thins, shanks, and toe hits. My practice swing is good but when I get up to the ball and swing that right knee has a mind of its own. It seems ingrained into my swing.

I should be able to post a video soon.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Doug

• Administrator

My right knee extends in the backswing too. And my right shoulder goes up. My right elbow bends…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

My right knee extends in the backswing too. And my right shoulder goes up. My right elbow bends…

So how do you get that right knee back in position at impact?

Doug

Note: This thread is 1133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!