IGNORED

My Swing (GHIN0011458)

GHIN0011458
Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I should add that it's kind of hard to give advice to a scratch golfer with 3+ keys (declared by Erik no less) under his belt.

Well I am all self taught so proper instruction will be new to me and I am open for advice from players who have seen instructors and picked up tips along the way. I need to learn more about the 4th key and see how I can get better at that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHIN0011458

Thanks buddy. I was hoping you would chip in. I am not getting as many responses as I wanted on things to change, but maybe it will come around.

Patience.  You'll get plenty of feedback, but it won't all happen overnight.  (I remember feeling the same way.)

Agree with this.

When I first posted my swing (it took me quite a few years) here, I was ready to "get at it".  First suggestions were on stance/posture.  I was thinking "man, thats kind of boring".

I had enough confidence in the people who were helping that I stuck with it.  Those things were (relatively) easy to change, and then I was told to move on to other things.

Gotta stay the course...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The lead arm is a little low, the elbow a little far around you, etc.

I'd work on the setup a bit right now and get some slow-mo if possible, particularly of FO.

@GHIN0011458 regarding your right elbow. If it slides behind you it can also load the left are a bit too low. Agree with Erik, work on the set-up stuff for now. Feet flare can help the turning rates which will improve the sequencing of the arms with the body pivot.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 months later...

Is the setup any better? New shaft and I love it. Slight pulls but starting to hit the ball a little better. Hitting it solid and not too worried about direction yet, have a lot going on in my mind throughout these swings.

Is the setup any better? New shaft and I love it. Slight pulls but starting to hit the ball a little better. Hitting it solid and not too worried about direction yet, have a lot going on in my mind throughout these swings.

Little tough to tell from the video but it looks like you're sticking your butt out less and the weight isn't as much in your heels, so yes, better.

Have you seen this thread? May help clarify some things.

Mike McLoughlin

So setup I feel is good to go to the course and my left arm is getting higher on the backswing which was a main focus of mine. The toughest part has been the elbow. I think I have made a little bit of an improvement but what do you think is a good drill to keep from that elbow staying back? Does my left arm position at the top look better?

Also- what video's would do better? It is tough to get a decent side shot since it is 27 degrees here in both of these and we can't get on an open range.

So setup I feel is good to go to the course and my left arm is getting higher on the backswing which was a main focus of mine. The toughest part has been the elbow. I think I have made a little bit of an improvement but what do you think is a good drill to keep from that elbow staying back? Does my left arm position at the top look better?

Left arm does look better. Shaft may be loading too shallow on the backswing, if it gets too low and in that can also "encourage" the right arm to pull behind you. It's still functional, you're a low handicap, but this is where those pulls are coming from and long term the more you clean this up the more consistent the ball striking will be.

Good drill would be the one I posted earlier, doing slower swings and swings where you stop for a second or two at the top of the backswing with good form and hit it from there.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/78258/my-swing-ghin0011458/18#post_1077784

This is another drill, one that's helped me get the club head in a better position on the takeaway. Note the speed at which I'm making this swing and how the right tricep stays in front of my shirt seam as I pivot.

Also- what video's would do better? It is tough to get a decent side shot since it is 27 degrees here in both of these and we can't get on an open range.

High speed videos.

Mike McLoughlin

Okay great- thanks. So the first picture of the backswing is really not that great of a position. I need that line pointing at the ball correct? Maybe that is where I am getting the pulls a little bit right now and need to tighten that area up next.

The second picture is pretty good position though right? On the downswing?

Thanks for the drills I will work on that. I see how you get your arm position correctly at that speed.  I feel like I have never played golf before with all this new stuff to learn lol.

Okay great- thanks. So the first picture of the backswing is really not that great of a position. I need that line pointing at the ball correct? Maybe that is where I am getting the pulls a little bit right now and need to tighten that area up next.

I prefer to see it at or inside the ball. It's not a rule written in stone that it "has to be" pointed at or inside the ball but it generally helps things be less complicated. The goal isn't to "hit" the position, it's to clean up some of the dynamics which will result in a better A3.

The second picture is pretty good position though right? On the downswing?

The position itself is fine but it's "steeper" than the backswing and that can be an issue. Have to consider where the club was coming from and where it might be going.

Mike McLoughlin

Left arm does look better. Shaft may be loading too shallow on the backswing, if it gets too low and in that can also "encourage" the right arm to pull behind you. It's still functional, you're a low handicap, but this is where those pulls are coming from and long term the more you clean this up the more consistent the ball striking will be.

@mvmac is this a little bit better on the takeaway position? I have made very slight progress in that right elbow it looks like. This is a 3 iron video- sorry I haven't busted out the video camera to get better videos yet. I go to hit balls then I think well it feels okay let's just take a quick video.

@mvmac is this a little bit better on the takeaway position? I have made very slight progress in that right elbow it looks like. This is a 3 iron video- sorry I haven't busted out the video camera to get better videos yet. I go to hit balls then I think well it feels okay let's just take a quick video.

Looks pretty darn similar to be honest.

Obviously it doesn't have to look exactly like the player on the right but I want to illustrate the differences.

Leads to the right elbow pulling behind you. This will cause some problems on the downswing, steeping the shaft and steep shoulders at impact.

Film yourself doing the drill I posted or making slower swings where you change the picture. You won't be able to make any significant changes by just making swings at full speed.

Mike McLoughlin

Looks pretty darn similar to be honest.

Obviously it doesn't have to look exactly like the player on the right but I want to illustrate the differences.

Leads to the right elbow pulling behind you. This will cause some problems on the downswing, steeping the shaft and steep shoulders at impact.

Film yourself doing the drill I posted or making slower swings where you change the picture. You won't be able to make any significant changes by just making swings at full speed.

Interesting, I feel like I am coming back much steeper. My goal was to keep my line inside the ball like you had said, at the position you had drawn the line on. So I thought maybe that position was a little better. Now I see what position you want. You want that toe pointed straight up. I will work on that. i did some of those drills but I turn my body and I guess that is where the club gets behind where it needs to be.

Matt Kuchar's swing rotates away. He still has the club higher but would his take away be one not to follow?

Here's Kuchar's takeaway. If thinking of Kuchar's swing helps you change the picture, then go for it.

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
Par 72, 72.1  Rating 133 Slope 6900 Yards... Same old song and dance... Shot 74, 34 putts, one birdie, 3 bogeys, all 3 were 3 putts. Hit 8/9 GIR on the back and was nGIR on the front (Started on the back). Got up and down 7/7 times, so that was a positive. Striking the ball really well, didn't miss a green by more than 20 feet. In fact a few of them hit the green then came off. The course felt very short, so I think I am hitting my drives longer now that the ball is getting up in the air.. but putting is awful. Could have been a 69 easily if I could make 2/5 of my 12 foot birdie putts and not 3 putt.

So… work on your putting. Glaring weakness.

Post good video of your stroke here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Of my putting stroke?

Yeah…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Shot 72 today 5 birdies and 3 three putts. Hit 14gir finished tourney at 146 and good enough to be in the money. Waiting on people to come in soon.

First off, Congrats - Nice round for first tourny of the year

Second....  The picture has me perplexed lol - Please lay that out for me...  It's not a tee box.  It looks like it was taken from the road...  I don't know how you got there or what you are shooting at?  Your camera man 3 putt that one....   Nice follow through though - great finish lol :dance:

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!