IGNORED

Non Golfer Bought House on Golf Course - Questions

sbrady19
Note: This thread is 3424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you break my window I would expect you to pay for it. If you hit my house, I bought it so if I don't like it I should move. No one cares if their ball dings my siding. America..........so disrespectful.

Back to OP ... more than anything, this bold faced phrase above irked me.  To go from whatever the OP is trying to say (a bit of nonsense to begin with)  to "America .... so disrespectful" is ridiculous.  I think we (Americans, naturalized citizen like myself included) deserve an apology from sbrady19 on this.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I think we (Americans, naturalized citizen like myself included) deserve an apology from sbrady19 on this.

I do not.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Back to OP ... more than anything, this bold faced phrase above irked me.  To go from whatever the OP is trying to say (a bit of nonsense to begin with)  to "America .... so disrespectful" is ridiculous.  I think we (Americans, naturalized citizen like myself included) deserve an apology from sbrady19 on this.

While it was an over generalization, I would tend to agree that it is disrespectful to not notify a homeowner in some way if you hit a window or caused damage. If he's just talking about a ball bouncing off the siding, I wouldn't expect someone to come up and tell me as I wouldn't even notice it.

I don't either. I go home every day shaking my head at all the rampant entitlement and disrespect I encounter. Anyway not the thread for it, sorry.

Dave :-)

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/78511/non-golfer-bought-house-on-golf-course-questions/18#post_1083458"] Heavens no. Its the incessant BS of death and lawsuit talk that permeates my environment. Its ridiculous to use the words "death by golfball" on pretty much all the planets my spaceship takes me to, and lawsuits to boot? Extremism imo. I got hit once standing forward of the tee way back when I started playing. It could have been a head shot and done some damage. But thats like standing in the middle of a road. Somehow I learned dont do that.[/QUOTE] You mean it's like all this seat-belt BS. People drove cars without seat-belts for decades. The odds that you'll be in an accident where seat-belts will make a difference is small (99%+ of accidents are simple fender benders; most people are never in an accident where a seat-belt would have made a difference), so why worry about it? Right? "It could have been a head shot and done some damage." Some damage? Yea, like killing you. Being killed by a golf ball is rare, but not uncommon. [URL=http://golf.heraldtribune.com/2010/11/29/death-by-golf-ball-not-all-that-uncommon/]http://golf.heraldtribune.com/2010/11/29/death-by-golf-ball-not-all-that-uncommon/[/URL] The greater the risk, the more important it is to take precautions against it. You wear seat-belts, because the repercussions of that once in a lifetime accident as so bad it's worth your time to take precautions against it. The odds of being killed buy a golf ball are low, but considering the risk it's reasonable to take precautions against it. As far as the lawsuit threat, unfortunately some people are so stubborn they need to be bluntly reminded of the consequences of their decisions.

Ok, here is a venue...make us 100% safe and of course include all risks in their entirety. Hard to do?

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

[quote name="rkim291968" url="/t/78511/non-golfer-bought-house-on-golf-course-questions/30#post_1083692"] Back to OP ... more than anything, this bold faced phrase above irked me.  To go from whatever the OP is trying to say (a bit of nonsense to begin with)  to "America .... so disrespectful" is ridiculous.  I think we (Americans, naturalized citizen like myself included) deserve an apology from sbrady19 on this.

While it was an over generalization, I would tend to agree that it is disrespectful to not notify a homeowner in some way if you hit a window or caused damage. If he's just talking about a ball bouncing off the siding, I wouldn't expect someone to come up and tell me as I wouldn't even notice it.[/quote]You are honest. Above board. A perspective that makes people trust you, and the fact that you can bring it forward in a public forum simply speaks to your comfort level with honesty as a basic character trait. I hope I can shake your hand one day just to meet you.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Ok, here is a venue...make us 100% safe and of course include all risks in their entirety. Hard to do?

You are attempting to set up a straw man. Sorry, not interested in playing that game.

You have to weigh your risks.

You obviously feel that, because the likelihood of someone being struck  in the head is low, that it's not worth taking measures to prevent.

I fee that, because the consequences of someone being hit in the head by a golf ball are serious enough that it is worth taking measures to prevent it.

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/78511/non-golfer-bought-house-on-golf-course-questions/36#post_1083738"] Ok, here is a venue...make us 100% safe and of course include all risks in their entirety. Hard to do?[/QUOTE] You are attempting to set up a straw man. Sorry, not interested in playing that game. You have to weigh your risks. You obviously feel that, because the likelihood of someone being struck  in the head is low, that it's not worth taking measures to prevent. I fee that, because the consequences of someone being hit in the head by a golf ball are serious enough that it is worth taking measures to prevent it.

[quote name="Morocco Mako" url="/t/78511/non-golfer-bought-house-on-golf-course-questions/30#post_1083860"][QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/78511/non-golfer-bought-house-on-golf-course-questions/36#post_1083738"] Ok, here is a venue...make us 100% safe and of course include all risks in their entirety. Hard to do?[/QUOTE] You are attempting to set up a straw man. Sorry, not interested in playing that game. You have to weigh your risks. You obviously feel that, because the likelihood of someone being struck  in the head is low, that it's not worth taking measures to prevent. I fee that, because the consequences of someone being hit in the head by a golf ball are serious enough that it is worth taking measures to prevent it. [/quote]Ok. So I have a predatory intelligence? LoL sorry, no. Perhaps my weakness for dry red wine will serve your arguement? As a wino, I reserve the right to take certain risks, like breathing the air on an interstate, which I suspect kills many more lemmings over time compared to golf balls.

Tom R.

I see the OP has gotten a lot of answers and I only have one thing to add.  I too live on a golf course but being a golfer I selected a home that is adjacent to a tee box and not near a green.  But even with that I get 6-12 balls a year in my back yard in spite of being 50 yards right and 25 yards behind the green.  But in the rare instances when I am in the yard I have gotten different reactions from the offending golfer.  Their reactions range from ignoring me and pretending they don't know where the ball went to coming over and saying "hey sorry about that but had a bad lie and got it on toe".   I guess the message is players are not a homogeneous group and my experience has been that some do say they are sorry.

I guess I should add that I have not ever suffered any damage to the house which is set back from the back yard fence about another 15 yards.  So saying "sorry" was easy and it will get you your Pro V1 back instead of in my bag.

Butch

I've seen some pretty shaky shots but most landing zones are typically further away from the home. The holes taper near the tee boxes and are widest where the balls land to accommodate errant shots. The pictures I posted in the previous thread about this show houses with netting that are so far out of play something really odd would have to happen. A drive that just traveled 80 yards north before slicing 90 degrees and traveling a hundred yards right of that point.

This is an example of a home close to the line of play and there is huge net to protect it. In three years I've never seen anyone hit it. It is further away from the tee than it looks and the hole plays away from it. If someone hooks it that way usually doesn't have enough to carry to the house. I draw it over the big tree on the right because I can. The higher handicap folks pray to get it over the water.

Firstly, that's a really nice hole of what it appears to be a wonderful golf course.  Very cool.

Secondly, I can certainly see what you mean by this example.  To hit a shot that far to the left to either curve to that house and or travel on a straight line to said house would be incredibly difficult and only accomplished by the strongest golfers who hit the ball far enough to get it there (that also depends on the tee box you are playing from.  If someone decided to tee it forward on that hole, maybe they can reach?  What's the yardage on that hole and to carry the water anyway?)

That said, it's a single example and I play courses all of the time that would have another 5-6 or more houses (from the house in your picture above) as neighbors that line all the way down on the left (or right) closer to the tee box (bear's best in Vegas which I just played is a great example of that.  So is TPC Last Vegas which I also just played).  And surprisingly, I've have seen many of those houses without netting protection which blows my mind and what the OP should consider doing to his house for protection.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I have lived in numerous golf course communities in both Alabama and Texas.  I have owned homes in the situation like the OP is in.  So, my response is coming from someone who has been there, done that.

I will start about why people do not come up to your door and let you know they have hit your home (not talking about breaking windows).  Most homeowners on golf courses do not want you coming onto their property to begin with.  So, most golfers I know will not go on your property at all.  If their ball is in the edge of your yard, they may reach in and get it but walk up next to your home to retrieve it...will not happen.  So, don't expect to see many golfers walking up to your door.

Now, if someone breaks one of your windows, the law as I know it where I live...it is the responsibility of the homeowner.  If the windows facing the golf course are not shatterproof, they should be.  The homeowner knew he was moving into a home on a golf course lot and should be aware of what could happen while living there. On the other hand, I live in a golf course community.  I play golf.  If I break a window, I did that on a neighbor's home.  I feel an obligation to let that homeowner know.  Even if they are not home, I will leave a business card with a note on it.  In 45 years of playing golf, I have broken 3 windows on homes and I have paid for all 3.  In only 1 case, was the homeowner actually home when it happened.  BUT...it was because I felt it was the right thing to do...not because I was obligated by law to pay for the windows.

I don't know where the OP lives but most (not all) golf course communities where I have played the homebuilders were aware of what the situation would be and did not use materials on the homes that would not hold up to being hit by golf balls.  Plexiglass windows (even double paned) where windows are facing the course.  Either wood or hardy plank (concrete) siding used instead of the soft stucco. I have seen stucco looking homes that do not get holes where golf balls hit.   Not sure what the material is.  Now, on the other hand, I played golf on a muni course in Las Vegas and the homes along a couple of holes there looked like someone had loaded a cannon with golf balls and fired them at the homes.  Never seen so many ball size holes in walls in my life.

Anyone who is contemplating buying a home in a golf course community or adjacent to a golf course needs to do their research before they buy.  What are the laws?  Where is the home located in relation to where golf shot will be struck?  What are the possibilites of getting balls flying into your yard?  If small kids are involved, do you really want to live where they could get hit by flying golf balls?  If you have a pool, can you live with the lack of privacy?  Can you live with the fact that you may get balls flying into your pool while you are in it?  There is lots to consider BEFORE buying a home on a golf course.

As far as netting goes, every golf course community I have lived in...you have had to get special permission from the POA, HOA, Community Association before you can install.  It pretty much has to be an extremely bad design golf hole along with housing placement where the golfer is aiming directly at you home before it is allowed.  If netting was allowed along both sides of every home on the course where I live...it would be unsightly to begin with but no worry..it would NEVER be allowed.

I was going to also comment on the AMERICANS thing but I have decided against it.  From what I have seen playing golf for 40+ years....it does not matter where a person is from.  Stereotyping is not necessary.

• Upvote 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Firstly, that's a really nice hole of what it appears to be a wonderful golf course.  Very cool.

Secondly, I can certainly see what you mean by this example.  To hit a shot that far to the left to either curve to that house and or travel on a straight line to said house would be incredibly difficult and only accomplished by the strongest golfers who hit the ball far enough to get it there (that also depends on the tee box you are playing from.  If someone decided to tee it forward on that hole, maybe they can reach?  What's the yardage on that hole and to carry the water anyway?)

That said, it's a single example and I play courses all of the time that would have another 5-6 or more houses (from the house in your picture above) as neighbors that line all the way down on the left (or right) closer to the tee box (bear's best in Vegas which I just played is a great example of that.  So is TPC Last Vegas which I also just played).  And surprisingly, I've have seen many of those houses without netting protection which blows my mind and what the OP should consider doing to his house for protection.

There are actually homes behind that house you cant see. It's a 530 yard par 5 at a private course. I am not sure the carry over the water but I can carry it easy with a 5i from tees in front and right of the box where I took that picture. This hole is a redesign, you can see the old green between the trees. It used to be a par 4 but the tees were right of the current tees up on a hill and the line of play was right of the big tree, there is a hazard/ESA area over there. The line now is where that cart is and there are pretty far out there, the 150 is between them and the top of the hill. But yeah the house is out there a bit and away from the line of play. A weak shot left probably would drop right of the house. It's kind of a funky hole there are tee boxes all over on this one. Easy hole to par if you keep it in play

Dave :-)

You can expect whatever you want. I expect Santa Claus to come down my chimney in a few weeks and bring me a pony.

Before you go after someone for the money, though, check your local laws. In most jurisdictions, you've assumed the risk of golf balls in the normal course of play hitting your house by purchasing said property. If someone tees up and takes aim at your house, that's a different issue, but if it's in the normal course of play, that's on you.

hilarious!

Note: This thread is 3424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!