IGNORED

What was your memorable shot of 2014?

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 3377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hole #6 The Links At Boynton Beach A very interesting par-4 dogleg to the right requiring two well-played shots. Tree trouble all down the right side with a short iron second shot to a mounded, L-shaped, links green with water short and left. The two-tiered green is unique with the back tier lower than the front tier. I sliced my tee shot into the trees and ended on an upslope. Had a small window played a high draw 8 iron to the back tier to about 4 feet then blew the putt.

Ok, so y'all will call me crazy but I have a clubhead speed of about 112, therefore, a lot of short par 4s are within reach for me. One of my 4 best shots of the year came during a tournament where I drive a fairly tight green in the middle of the tournament to end up shooting 3 under for the day. This particular shot was on Hole 16 at Butterfield Trail Golf Course in El Paso, Texas. My second of the 4 came at Diamondback Golf Course in Abilene, Texas on hole 2, the hole is a really long par 5 and I miraculously hit a booming dive right in the sweetspot down the middle of the fairway, I then proceeded to hit a 5 iron from about 210 out, uphill to roughly 30 feet from the hole. From the green (this is the shot that I like the most of this hole) with the greens so fast you have to hit the ball with the shadow of the putter, I hit it downhill, and right to left to drain my eagle putt to take me to 1 under for the day. My last 2 are birth at my home course, The Rawls Course at Texas Tech, which ha add been voted as a top 5 University Course in the nation. My first one was on Hole 16, a 250-270 yard Par 3. Going into this hole I was -1, therefore my mentality was "You've been striking the ball beautifully all day, there is a no trouble on the right, so let's hit a soft 5 wood, aim right, and draw it in." And boy, did I ever. I ended up sticking the shot to 1 foot and made the putt. I ended up shooting 70 in that round. Lastly was in the middle of a raining tournament, the course was playing a lot longer than usual, which is ridiculous because the course is already 7400-7500 yards long. It was on my last hole, which was hole 4 at Rawls. I hit my driver, softly to about 125 yards out with a great look at the hole. Sing that the pun was very accessible and that I was only 125 out, I decided to get aggressive, I was 2 over at that point in those tough conditions and I stuck the shot to 2 feet and I proceeded to make the birdie to finish in the top 5 of the tournament.

My most memorable shot was at a US Open qualifier at Andalusia Country Club. We started on the back nine and the shot took place on the 11th hole. I hit my drive into a right fairway bunker. The next shot was a 7 iron to a back pin, slight fade for about 170 yards, leaving me a tap in for birdie. :bugout: Best fairway bunker shot ever (for me). Great feeling, great moment. Didn't qualify though. :doh: Felt pro for two holes. B-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

~25' birdie putt on 18 in the final of our club's Singles Matchplay KO competition. Must make putt and it fell deadweight into the hole. Name on Honours board!

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Has to be my hole in one.. But also a birdie that I sunk from the wrong fairway over the trees to a blind green.. broke the cup on the way in, it must of just landed right in the corner of it and stayed there.  spent like 2 - 3 minutes looking around for it until I figured it might be worth taking  a look in the cup!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Has to be my hole in one.. But also a birdie that I sunk from the wrong fairway over the trees to a blind green.. broke the cup on the way in, it must of just landed right in the corner of it and stayed there.  spent like 2 - 3 minutes looking around for it until I figured it might be worth taking  a look in the cup!

The hole in one is sweeter, but the blind hole out over the trees is just awesome.

The hole in one is sweeter, but the blind hole out over the trees is just awesome.

I hope to get a couple of those this year, but at the same time I would rather them be for Eagle if you know what I mean :).. there is a reason it was only a holeout for birdie over the trees of the other fairway ... :doh:

Eyad

I hope to get a couple of those this year, but at the same time I would rather them be for Eagle if you know what I mean :).. there is a reason it was only a holeout for birdie over the trees of the other fairway ... :doh:

Yeah i wasn't going to emphasize that part. :)

My best shot of the year perfectly sandwiched two of my worst - on a well-bunkered par 5, a horror slice off the tee ended up in a huge amount of trouble in a load of trees out right. The sensible play was a 7 iron chip out sideways, but there was a slight gap (about 5 yards square) through the trees... I was playing relatively well, so I thought I'd hit the hero shot - pulled the hybrid, popped the ball slightly back in my stance as the gap was a bit lower than it usually launches and ripped it... 220 yards dead straight, over a couple of bunkers putting me 40 yards short of the green.

Horribly overexcited, I then bladed the pitch...

P.S. Yep, the shot zone for this would have looked hideous. A shot I never should have played, but damn, I'm glad I did!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

332 yd drive...drew it over trees and landed 10yds short of a front greenside pond. Par 4, feeling good. Shanked my 2nd shot...hit the bridge over the pond and slammed straight into the pond. Pretty much the norm for me. Big beautiful drive followed by a shank or chunk and scramble for bogey. This is way all the talk of wanting more distance is meaningless to me.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My best shot of the year perfectly sandwiched two of my worst - on a well-bunkered par 5, a horror slice off the tee ended up in a huge amount of trouble in a load of trees out right. The sensible play was a 7 iron chip out sideways, but there was a slight gap (about 5 yards square) through the trees... I was playing relatively well, so I thought I'd hit the hero shot - pulled the hybrid, popped the ball slightly back in my stance as the gap was a bit lower than it usually launches and ripped it... 220 yards dead straight, over a couple of bunkers putting me 40 yards short of the green.

Horribly overexcited, I then bladed the pitch...

P.S. Yep, the shot zone for this would have looked hideous. A shot I never should have played, but damn, I'm glad I did!

So much fairway to work with, why in the world would you ever slice it into that death hole of a spot? :doh:

'

In all fairness, right now I need a fairway 2 or 3 times the size of that one to even smell it :whistle:

Eyad

So much fairway to work with, why in the world would you ever slice it into that death hole of a spot?

'

In all fairness, right now I need a fairway 2 or 3 times the size of that one to even smell it

Would it help if I said I aimed left?

(probably not...) :-(

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I didn't get to play much this past season, but the rounds I did play resulted in very few 'memorable' shots.

One that sticks out was a drive during a round at a new-to-me club.  I had been playing like crap and was standing on the tee of a shortish (389 yard) par 4.  There was a very narrow part of the fairway that started at about 250 yards out.  My average drive is about 235-240, when I catch it well... so I decided to hit my driver, and because I was upset with how I'd been playing, I took a hard swing.

It was one of those 'one-in-a-million' swings where the timing and everything was just right.  I hit the ball, but didn't even feel it.  The launch on the ball was unlike any I'd ever hit before.  It was headed down the left side of the fairway, but I lost sight of it.  I knew it was going to be in the fairway on the left side, but when I got up to my normal landing area would be (235 yards or so), there was no ball.

The GPS said 235... and I kept going up further.  When I got to 250, I stopped and turned around, thinking I'd missed it.

Still nothing.  One of my playing partners had played his second shot and started walking towards the green.  He got up about 100 yards or so and yelled to me to ask what I was playing.  When I told him my ball type, Taylor Made Project (a) and the mark I was using... he pointed to the ground and said he found it.  It was just off the left side of the fairway in the rough.  I checked the GPS and it was tagged at 330 yards.

I was in disbelief!  I knew I hit the ball well... but I never had anything that far on a flat hole with no wind!

I ended up hitting a nice wedge to about 18 feet and finished the hole with a par, which was a nice change from the norm for me.

That was early in the season.  Throughout the rest of the season, I had a handful of other shots that I murdered the ball off the tee.  One, I didn't have my GPS with me, so I couldn't measure it... but it was a 531 yard par 5 hole... the tees were back, so it was playing the full length, if not a little further.  I hit my drive, another one of those 'no feeling' shots, and when I got up to the ball... I was standing just in front of the marker in the fairway that said 172 to the center of the green.  That one, I blew as I tugged my 5 iron from there long and left into a hazard, but... from a distance off the tee standpoint, it was a pretty good year for me!

I don't know if it had something to do with different air down here (I moved from New Jersey to Charlotte) or what, but... I had some really well-struck tee shots throughout the few rounds I played.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I was a par 4 on the 18th during our last round of the season in Wisconsin on Nov. 4th. Buddy tee'd to the left of fairway and I was on the right. Same length but I was between 2 trees. He was in the open. After the normal heckling I went first and put the pressure on. From 85 yards out I used a 7 and took and low hack shot to drive it out. Got under it a bit, caught the front lip of the green, popped up in the air and rolled it up 1 ft from cup. He chunked his shot and I won by 1 stroke. Love going out on a bang.

Holed a 60 yard wedge for birdie after laying up on a par-4.  Green has a moat around it and a rock wall to clear.  If I have 150 or more to the green, (which is almost ALWAYS!) I'll lay up with a PW and try to throw a dart at the pin with my 58* wedge.  This time, it went in.  Total classic ... hit beyond the pin, took a hop then sucked back into the hole hitting the stick and dropping like rock into the hole.

Maybe even better, hooked a tee-ball into the junk.  Only shot out was a layup to the edge of a ravine that left 120 to an elevated green.  Hit 8-iron that released, tracked toward the hole and dropped for a birdie.  When recording score on card, noticed this par-4 to the be #1 hdcp hole on the course.  Good thing my wife witnessed that one!

Every once in awhile, I hit a good one, get lucky and rewarded for the effort.  Guess that's what keeps us coming back, eh?

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

hard to choose, I had a hole in one with a 54 deg sand wedge on a little hole that had been driving me crazy, shanking it off the tee often, then all of a sudden, boom, it's in the hole, my 2nd ace.  But later in the year, I holed a 7 iron from 165 yards on a par 4, eagle 2, the longest hole out of my life, which may have been a nicer shot than the 1.  Tie for first maybe

12/16/14. Birthday golf outing Royal St. Cloud Fla. White course hole 3 "little poison" from gold tee 133 yds . Sweetest 9 ever for me .. hit and checked 3 " from the cup ! ;0) Bday ! Lol ! Closest yet to that hole n1. Cheers to all :0) new yr !!

Note: This thread is 3377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!