IGNORED

My Swing (GolfLug)

GolfLug

Such a large thread I just watched his videos. Just my take on what I see I was actually going to delete this and transfer it to another topic I opened figured it would be more relevant and fresh.

The thread is only 3 pages. Reading through it would be a better use of your time than watching those silly videos you post.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Quick videos taken last week. Both taken by amateurs. I will post a better one this weekend.

But my left wrist not hard to notice I would thin. Cupped heavily even though I tried to keep it flat going back. Feels like right at start of downswing no matter what I do the arms simply get sucked closer to torso, club flattens and and comes in shallow. These are both is a 8 irons. The driver is 3 times worse. Right back to where I started few months ago. Sigh....

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Vishal, buddy…

Remember, it's not so much about the wrist as it is about other things in your swing, like the shaft. You can have the "super laid off shallow backswing" feeling and the club can stay pointed pretty much the same direction with some slight cupping or even arching of your left wrist.

You go steep to super-shallow. The fix for you, given your left arm, has always been to shallow out the backswing so that you don't shallow it out even more. Gets you to an ONline swing plane.

Even in your video it wasn't quite right. Review the materials from your visit here - I think you'll see and remember what I mean.

Also, feel free to ask me if you have any questions. But basically, remember…

Analyzr_Image_Export.thumb.jpg.22b39f83c

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Vishal, buddy…

Remember, it's not so much about the wrist as it is about other things in your swing, like the shaft. You can have the "super laid off shallow backswing" feeling and the club can stay pointed pretty much the same direction with some slight cupping or even arching of your left wrist.

You go steep to super-shallow. The fix for you, given your left arm, has always been to shallow out the backswing so that you don't shallow it out even more. Gets you to an ONline swing plane.

Even in your video it wasn't quite right. Review the materials from your visit here - I think you'll see and remember what I mean.

Also, feel free to ask me if you have any questions. But basically, remember…

Analyzr_Image_Export.thumb.jpg.22b39f83c

Thanks @iacas. I need to figure how to not keep falling back to habit. Well, back to square one.

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Thanks @iacas. I need to figure how to not keep falling back to habit. Well, back to square one.

Dedicated, concentrated practice. Just 10-20 minutes a day, but it has to be exaggerated (at first) and it has to be maintained for a long time to truly change.

You know HOW. Just have to DO it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Here are the visuals for you Vishal:

01.thumb.jpg.d5225ae8580e9c0f2f33dbc565602.thumb.jpg.8f5a5da7e0e4b755467929336f203.thumb.jpg.e26db2667e1befdb9807243adec

(edited)

Practice last night.

Address: Club set up not as closed. (sorry no front view but more like 45 deg closed compared to 90 deg closed - approximation). Right hand preset a bit more open as a result. Arms hanging more naturally.

Backswing: Slow and low take away. Right palm up A3 to A4. Left wrist not bent backwards at top, just a bit of a cup. 

Feeling noted (not attempted to do this, just a resulting feel): Left arm and club going around the neck compared to before where it seemed to wrap around my chest.

Edited by iacas
Embedded video

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Address: Club set up not as closed. (sorry no front view but more like 45 deg closed compared to 90 deg closed - approximation). Right hand preset a bit more open as a result. Arms hanging more naturally.

Okay. Good.

Backswing: Slow and low take away. Right palm up A3 to A4. Left wrist not bent backwards at top, just a bit of a cup. 

Nice. Don't have to take the hands OUT so much to start, and the shoulders can be a bit steeper, but otherwise, VERY good.

Feeling noted (not attempted to do this, just a resulting feel): Left arm and club going around the neck compared to before where it seemed to wrap around my chest.

That's why I almost never try to give someone a feel unless I'm there with them… that seems like an odd feel to produce those mechanics, but they work for you so that makes them "right" for you.

Nice. Don't have to take the hands OUT so much to start, and the shoulders can be a bit steeper, but otherwise, VERY good.

Hmm... bend more to do this? Maybe arm/club plane might match more with shoulder pane - is that the goal?

That's why I almost never try to give someone a feel unless I'm there with them… that seems like an odd feel to produce those mechanics, but they work for you so that makes them "right" for you.

Yeah arm/club plane does FEEL above shoulder plane and around neck at top but not once I start DS.  I will keep checking. Again, not really looking for it, just what I felt, so.. dunno, not really focused on it.

Vishal S.

• 2 months later...

Temp in low 60s, but ground was wet and soggy today.. Irons and hybrids stellar. Driver not great but not bad. No OBs on a tight course.

Note: stayed mindful of set up position, keys #1 and # 2 throughout the round and felt that I completed back swing wind up better before transitioning. Felt like arms and club 'rolled' open back and up instead of picking up steep and looping it in at DS. I've been working on it at home without a ball but it feels good when you bring it to the course. Club movement also felt smoother. I think indicative of fairly on plane movement.

Hope weather stays warm next week and might be able to get one more or even two rounds in before year ends.

Vishal S.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Signed off my first round with GG today. App is easier to use than I thought.

Did you post here?

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Expresso/round/700263?hole_id=21443685

I wonder about some of your edits. The putting on that hole, for example, looks suspect…

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Did you post here?

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Expresso/round/700263?hole_id=21443685

I wonder about some of your edits. The putting on that hole, for example, looks suspect…

LOL! Yes, editing in general is horrible. I just tagged number of puts many times after I finished the holes. Then didn't really edit it. I will try to clean up next round. I think on 13th or 14th hole once I got closer to my ball in the fairway. Never cleaned up that either.

I will post in the GG thread later this afternoon. Taking kids iceskating now..

Just did a quick check - I think 3 shots missing. Actual score is 82. I will edit that too.

Vishal S.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

LOL! Yes, editing in general is horrible. I just tagged number of puts many times after I finished the holes. Then didn't really edit it. I will try to clean up next round. I think on 13th or 14th hole once I got closer to my ball in the fairway. Never cleaned up that either.

I think you'll find the process fun and of course it will help you get more accurate statistics.

Phew.. finally after messing up the GG round edit 3 times, seems like I got all fairly accurate. Putt positions are still a bit of a guess.

Wish I could fly my 8 iron about 230y. I could just chuck the driver and drop 4 shots.

Vishal S.

Ball positioning at address in the last two rounds for irons has been good for irons resulting in good control of Keys #3 and #5. Feel like I have been placing it at the perfect apex position in the club head path. Result is most of my irons are giving me a straight ball flight with little or no curve again. Happy.

During my practice last night in the house with Dixie cups, I noticed and now believe that this might be my issue with the driver or at least a significant part of it. I feel that I have been guilty of placing the ball too far back in the stance so the club head is still travelling down and out (right of target) at impact. I feel like it also instinctively makes me take the club up steep and drop in hard at transition to shallow out at DS. Given that clubface is closed to path (usually) this causes the severe hook that starts out right of target line. Straight pushes I have been hitting are just a club face (straight to path) variant of the same path. No push slices so clubface must almost never be open to path. This should be relatively easy to fix or at least improve. Well, relatively. I will report Sunday. 

Must make driver playable for 2016.  

Vishal S.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Since I slow swing practice at night indoors, for my reward, I progress to A4, then stop and make sure club not laid off (too shallow, my issue). If I get a few good A4s in a row, I will then try it at normal speed (still stop at A4 to check), if I get shallow then back to square one. If I am practicing with driver which I am a lot lately, then I hit a Dixie cup for a rewarding pop.

Hey, so, I wanted to bring this over here, because the problem is not that you get too shallow, but that you get very steep at the top, and then make a massive shallowing move on the downswing.

The practice swings and feels that have always worked well for you is to feel the club is VERY laid off at the top.

A few posts up above that one was the "bad" stuff where they get steep, the left wrist cups a lot, and the club points down or even across the target line.

Shallow, even super shallow, for you is good at A4. Not at A2, but at A4, yes.

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hey, so, I wanted to bring this over here, because the problem is not that you get too shallow, but that you get very steep at the top, and then make a massive shallowing move on the downswing.

The practice swings and feels that have always worked well for you is to feel the club is VERY laid off at the top.

A few posts up above that one was the "bad" stuff where they get steep, the left wrist cups a lot, and the club points down or even across the target line.

Shallow, even super shallow, for you is good at A4. Not at A2, but at A4, yes.

Ok, went back to the position definitions. http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/53724-the-ps-positions-or-as-alignments-in-the-golf-swing/

I have my position definitions wrong. Basically replace all A4s with A6s (parallel to ground in downswing). I know I need to be club parallel to ground and target line. But the real A4 is still much wider and laid off. Left wrist is not as cupped and is much more passive.

P6.jpg

So yes, I think I have it the meat right, just the name wrong. Phew.. had me scared there for a moment.

See below A6. Left (shallow) bad, right (not so shallow) good.

d34cffdb_AnalyzrImageExport02.jpeg

Vishal S.