IGNORED

My swing (Huddo)

Huddo
Note: This thread is 3410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Whoever said Golf was hard, well they were lying..........................it's bloody hard! I guess that's why I'm hooked to try and improve.

Here are my latest videos sent through to evolvr.

My priority areas are;

Stop lifting the torso during the backswing

Reduce the backswing length

Less of a cupped left wrist at the top of the backswing

Key #2 is going to be tough.  I can't seem to get a consistent transition to initiate the weight forward.  I have faith in Stephan though!  Thanks for watching.

Matt

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi,

Your swing looks like it's improving quite a bit!

I've also started Evolvr, and will soon start a "myswing" thread as well.

I've struggled with lifting the torso as well. A few things that I feel have helped me:

1. A shortened backswing of course, which you're already working on

2. A steeper backswing, feeling like my left shoulder is coming down more, not just around

3. Allowing my hips to turn back on the backswing

4. A faster tempo, especially on the backswing. I realize that this may not be for everyone (or anyone but me!), but for me, a faster tempo feels like it gives me less time to do things like lift up and make it back down, and keeps me down and centered. I've spent some time watching Henrik Stenson's tempo, which I really like.

Good luck, and keep at it!

Hi, Your swing looks like it's improving quite a bit! I've also started Evolvr, and will soon start a "myswing" thread as well. I've struggled with lifting the torso as well. A few things that I feel have helped me: 1. A shortened backswing of course, which you're already working on 2. A steeper backswing, feeling like my left shoulder is coming down more, not just around 3. Allowing my hips to turn back on the backswing 4. A faster tempo, especially on the backswing. I realize that this may not be for everyone (or anyone but me!), but for me, a faster tempo feels like it gives me less time to do things like lift up and make it back down, and keeps me down and centered. I've spent some time watching Henrik Stenson's tempo, which I really like. Good luck, and keep at it!

Thanks for your kind comments, my swing is slowly getting there! Evolvr, Stephan and the folks on here really make a difference as I'm sure you know. Totally agree with the left shoulder down, helps to maintain a good pivot. I'm not sure if I've got the flexability for a faster backswing though! I've got a dodgy shoulder and back which is why my body wants to lift up......to ease the strain! Good luck with your progress also.

Matt

Home life has been really hectic over the last 7 days, I won't bore you with the details but I've not picked a club up since last Friday.  It might actually be a good thing as my left wrist and shoulder are tender due to my poor technique!

I have almost finished reading my copy of LSW.....what a great read.  I won't give away too much, but the emphasis on the Driver, shot zones and SV will be game changing for me in the long run.  I've booked a session on a Trackman tomorrow so that I can firstly gauge my club distances and also chart my shot pattern.

Also fell behind on my evolvr work so it's about time I hit the range!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Latest swings sent to Stephan at evolvr.  As I mentioned before, I've had very little time to practice recently.  I'm working on less cupping of the left wrist at the top and also maintaining a centered pivot, both of which I'm finding really difficult to achieve. On the course, my distances are improving but some of my shots are now pulling to the left which is a result of my swing path.

Much more practice for me...........

Matt

Help needed please guys! I'm trying to figure out why my left wrist cups so much at the top of the backswing. After spending a few minutes in front of the mirror, it appears that my hands are too active in the early stages of the takeaway. As an alternative I tried dropping the left shoulder down to initiate the backswing, hands and arms quiet and turning the hips.......result was a flatter left wrist. Is the shoulder drop a temporary fix or the way to go? Thanks

Matt

@Huddo changing the left shoulder or the pivot is not going to change how the wrist is working.  Happy to hear you are getting mirror work in.

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Help needed please guys! I'm trying to figure out why my left wrist cups so much at the top of the backswing. After spending a few minutes in front of the mirror, it appears that my hands are too active in the early stages of the takeaway. As an alternative I tried dropping the left shoulder down to initiate the backswing, hands and arms quiet and turning the hips.......result was a flatter left wrist.

Is the shoulder drop a temporary fix or the way to go? Thanks

Personally, I have found that if you do the correct things with the body (i.e. turning properly) and keeping the hands quiet, you will find that the arms and hands naturally end up in the correct position. Like everything in the golf swing, you can overdo this. However, it sounds to me like you're on the right track. My 2 cents. :)

@Huddo changing the left shoulder or the pivot is not going to change how the wrist is working.  Happy to hear you are getting mirror work in.

You're right @sk golf but my method is to try anything to keep the wrists less cupped and if starting the backswing with a slight shoulder drop helps, then it can't be a bad thing? That and incorporating a feeling of a bowed wrist will hopefully pay dividends!

Matt

Help needed please guys! I'm trying to figure out why my left wrist cups so much at the top of the backswing. After spending a few minutes in front of the mirror, it appears that my hands are too active in the early stages of the takeaway. As an alternative I tried dropping the left shoulder down to initiate the backswing, hands and arms quiet and turning the hips.......result was a flatter left wrist.

Is the shoulder drop a temporary fix or the way to go? Thanks

Is that flatter left wrist a result in the mirror or when you filmed a swing? I would be surprised if the wrist condition changed during a shot where you hit a ball just because of an adjustment with the left shoulder.

There probably aren't any "quick fixes" for the left wrist, it's just something you do. You'll have to practice it slowly and exaggerate it, will have to feel bowed/arched just to make it flat.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Is that flatter left wrist a result in the mirror or when you filmed a swing? I would be surprised if the wrist condition changed during a shot where you hit a ball just because of an adjustment with the left shoulder. There probably aren't any "quick fixes" for the left wrist, it's just something you do. You'll have to practice it slowly and exaggerate it, will have to feel bowed/arched just to make it flat.

It was from mirror work, and I was just canvassing opinion on whether anyone else had/is utilising the left shoulder down to start the downswing. As I mentioned, I have noticed that my hands and arms have become far too active during the takeaway, my club head has occasionally become stuck in the grass yet my hands and arms are already moving away which is not helping. So I had a play around with a few different takeaway feels and the left shoulder down seems worth a try. By no means did I mention or suggest a "quick fix", more confirmation that I'm not barking up the wrong tree!

Matt

Even though one swallow does not make a summer, I'm starting to feel reasonably confident that I will eventually become a half decent golfer.................a low teens HC that is.  I've only been playing seriously since September, but I shot a 91 today which should have been sub 90, and that was without using any woods in a strong wind. The focused practice and better understanding of the game are beginning to pay dividends.  I'm still coming over the top and need to improve my tempo, but 2 years from now I want to be a 15 HC!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my latest videos sent through to Stefan.  Even though I have been practicing in the garden for the last few weeks, I have not hit any balls other than on the course or briefly at the range........and it shows!  WHY do I still keep lifting my head?  I'm really not aware of my head lifting during the backswing and it is causing real problems with consistency of my ball striking.

Matt

Help needed please guys!  I'm working really hard at reducing my cupped left wrist and OTT move but I just can't seem to get it.  Looking at my swing tonight, is there anything obvious that I need to address to improve the faults that I have?  I noticed that I seem to throw the shoulder at the start of the transition which in turn steepens the club on the downswing.  Any drills you can think of to help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Matt

Help needed please guys!  I'm working really hard at reducing my cupped left wrist and OTT move but I just can't seem to get it.  Looking at my swing tonight, is there anything obvious that I need to address to improve the faults that I have?  I noticed that I seem to throw the shoulder at the start of the transition which in turn steepens the club on the downswing.  Any drills you can think of to help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Please take this the right way but you just need to do it. Make a swing at 30% speed where you just bow the shit out of the left wrist. Go full Dustin Johnson on it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Please take this the right way but you just need to do it. Make a swing at 30% speed where you just bow the shit out of the left wrist. Go full Dustin Johnson on it.

Just to second this, I used to cup my wrist. I now feel like I must look like Dustin Johnson now when I swing, I don't, but my wrist is now flat. Try to really exaggerate bending your wrist down (dorsiflexion?) Rather than cupping. Doing this into a mirror really helped me as you can associate what you're feeling with what's actually happening - instant feedback.

Note: This thread is 3410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!