IGNORED

The Word "Golfing" is a Sin

Kathy LC
Note: This thread is 3360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My little bruv has been know to call golf whacking. Golfers are whackermen (or whackerwomen I suppose). If we are playing that day, we'll go play whacking.

Believe it or not, he's a full-grown adult. Maybe its more of a referral to our playing abilities.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like some, using the word golfing does not sound correct and while I won't say it annoys me, I do not care for that usage.  With one big exception.  When my wife says "Are you golfing this afternoon."  It always means she has nothing planned and does not care if I go play 18 holes.  So on those days I guess I am golfing.  I never correct her, I just say "Yes."

Loyalty above all else, except honor.

I just accept that different areas and different people have different ways of saying things.  Sure it grates my ear when I hear someone refer to a 3-par rather than a par 3, or they say they game a certain club or ball.  I'm sure there are things I say or expressions I use that grate on the ears of others  So what.

But to me this whole thread is the apotheosis of the first world problem syndrome.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I just accept that different areas and different people have different ways of saying things.  Sure it grates my ear when I hear someone refer to a 3-par rather than a par 3, or they say they game a certain club or ball.  I'm sure there are things I say or expressions I use that grate on the ears of others  So what.   But to me this whole thread is the apotheosis of the first world problem syndrome.

Bullshit. There is only ONE proper way to speak English, which is, of course, the way it was taught to fourputt as a kid, and anybody who thinks otherwise is just stupid.

Bullshit.

Boy you are just as rude as that other guy who responded to a post by saying Bullshit.

Oh wait.

That was me.

Never mind.

:-P

• Upvote 1

Rich - in name only

Hey all, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest!  I am a writer and was actually referring to written references to golf in magazines and newspapers and blogs.  Of course in our daily conversations, words evolve so say whatever you like. Writing professionals should have higher standards.  Of course, again, that has changed with the common use of texts, emails and blog-posts such as this one. So those of you you like to golf, feel free, but please also have fun when you tennis.    Personally I'll play golf.

• Administrator
Hey all, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest!  I am a writer and was actually referring to written references to golf in magazines and newspapers and blogs.  Of course in our daily conversations, words evolve so say whatever you like. Writing professionals should have higher standards.  Of course, again, that has changed with the common use of texts, emails and blog-posts such as this one. So those of you you like to golf, feel free, but please also have fun when you tennis. Personally I'll play golf.

What higher standard is there than the dictionary (and not just one, but virtually all of them)?

I'm an author too. Though as I've said I tend to prefer not to use the word "golfing" I'm certainly not going to rip on anyone who does. It's proper grammar and proper English.

You simply don't like it. You're entitled to that.

In my opinion (I wrote that out just for you), you're not entitled to belittle others by saying that they clearly have lower standards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Golly!   Holly Cow!  Erik, you're tough.  I wrote an opinion.  That's what the original blog was - an opinion, written in the spirit of fun among fellow golf nuts.  No belittling was done - by me, ever.  If some responded with tongue firmly in cheek, that's all part of blog participation. I certainly recognized it as such.  No one needs to be chastised or given a timeout for his/her opinions.  We're all grown-ups here.

• Administrator
Golly! Holly Cow!  Erik, you're tough. I wrote an opinion.

And as I said you're entitled to it.

No belittling was done - by me, ever.

Oh?

Writing professionals should have higher standards.

So anyone who says "golfing" has lower standards, and that's not belittling to them even a little bit? I specifically said what I found belittling, too: " you're not entitled to belittle others by saying that they clearly have lower standards."

No one needs to be chastised or given a timeout for his/her opinions.  We're all grown-ups here.

Nobody's doing any such thing.

One last question… since you're such a golf aficionado, who "plays golf," how do you identify yourself to others? Are you a "golfer" or are you a "player of golf"? I have a hard time believing you identify yourself to people as a player of golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hey all, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest!  I am a writer and was actually referring to written references to golf in magazines and newspapers and blogs.  Of course in our daily conversations, words evolve so say whatever you like. Writing professionals should have higher standards.  Of course, again, that has changed with the common use of texts, emails and blog-posts such as this one. So those of you you like to golf, feel free, but please also have fun when you tennis.    Personally I'll play golf.

You can point out how you think golfing is silly by comparing it to random other words, but that doesn't make any sense.  I can just as easily compare it to other words to "prove" how correct it is, too.  I like to bowl, and I also like to go bowling.  I'm not going to go tennising, but I will go play tennis.  And when I do that, I'm a tennis player.  Naturally, that means that when you go play golf, you're a golf player, right?

What about when you write?  Are you not also a writer?  See where I'm going with this?

I think that everyone in this thread is showing a bit of cabin fever.  I admit that I went over the top, so I've stepped back from it.  Yet the squabble has carried on for 4 pages now, with nothing new to show for it but bad feelings.  Time to stop and think, and decide if this topic is really worth all the anguish.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I am a golfer, Erik, and not a very good one.  Have a nice day.

It sounds like you are ticked off.  That would be too bad, since it would be nice if you stuck around and talked about golf.

But just a word of warning, do not post rants if you do not expect to be challenged.  And do not expect your opinions about writing and words to be accepted uncritically because you are a writer.  You made several factual errors (e.g., golf IS a verb)  and you were pretty insulting to anyone who has a different opinion:

But I am hereby begging, begging the golf-writing community and all golfers to stop using the horrid, non-existent verb “to golf.”  Admittedly, this offense is usually perpetrated by generic writers who do not play the game of golf or by generic golfers who do not often write about the sport.  But please, golf is a noun.  One plays golf.  One does not golf.  The Ladies’ League does not golf on Wednesday mornings.   The ladies play golf then.  Gerund-like expressions are equally awful.  “Golfing is a game for all ages,” is a travesty as is the lazy infinitive form, “Sign up to golf in the men’s locker room” (never mind the dangling modifier).

Daily papers are using this verbish form more and more frequently, revealing the quality of their sports page reporters.  Golfers must surely cringe to read the onerous headline, “Golfing is down at local courses,” not because we golfers worry about the economic downturn, but because “golfing” is not down but “rounds of golf” are.  Journalists listen up:  Golf is a noun.  Golf is a noun.  Golf is a noun!

Do we verb-alize other sports?  Do we tennis?  Do we baseball?  How about football?  Do we do it?  No, no and nope. We play tennis, baseball and football.  No one crickets and no one rugbys.  We do bowl and we do swim but those two words have been verbs from the beginning.   There is only one exception to the noun-only rule for golf.   Golf may be used to modify or define, as in golf clubs, golf tips and golf nuts like me.

Writers, please, don’t be lazy.  Keep the play in golf.   Golf is an ancient and beloved game which is only and always a noun.

I've highlighted some of the more insulting passages.  You have characterized the word, you have characterized the people who use the word.  You have built your whole rant on a false notion (that golf is just a noun and a noun alone - except for the exception that YOU decide to permit).  Writers, above all, should understand and appreciate the evolving, living nature of language.  It is 2015, not 1950, and using golf as a verb in some circumstances has entered the lexicon whether you like it or not.  The insulting part is that you are using your refusal to recognize modern usage not to criticize other writers because they accept a modern usage that you do not, you are criticizing them for being ignorant and ungrammatical.

Given all that I think you got a pretty gentle reception, particularly since you decided to make this blast your first post here before you built up any credibility or anyone got to know you or build up any sympathy or regard for you.  As a writer you should become aware that a good first rule when entering a forum is know your audience and let them know you before you unleash a critical blast.

Despite all that, most of the folks here have pretty short memories.  I hope you re-launch yourself here.  It would be interesting to hear about the game from a different perspective.

• Upvote 3

Rich - in name only

it would be nice if you stuck around and talked about golf.

Writers, above all, should understand and appreciate the evolving, living nature of language.

most of the folks here have pretty short memories.  I hope you re-launch yourself here.  It would be interesting to hear about the game from a different perspective.

I agree with everything @turtleback said, but the only parts that need repeating are those I left above.

Stick around - we are a pretty decent group of guys and couple of girls. :beer:

I'm a big girl.. I can take it. I'm not going anywhere.  Stay tuned for my much less incendiary comments.  And, no, I wasn't ticked off, just as tired of this thread as everyone else.  I really meant it when I said have a good day.  Amen.

I'm a big girl.. I can take it. I'm not going anywhere.  Stay tuned for my much less incendiary comments.  And, no, I wasn't ticked off, just as tired of this thread as everyone else.  I really meant it when I said have a good day.  Amen.

:beer:

Rich - in name only

It's all good fun. I just like to argue. As someone who rarely used the term "golfing," though, I have to say that the pro "to golf" side has won this debate, in my mind anyway, based on the old references to "golfing grounds" and references to "golfed" from the 19th century.

Note: This thread is 3360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!