IGNORED

ARX: The Future of Exercise.

cedrictheo
Note: This thread is 3319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I was introduced to ARX through Nick Clearwater who is one of the coaches who has helped me with my swing over the last few years. He is now working for GolfTEC (along with teaching on the PGA Tour).

For the last 3 months I've been using the ARX machine 2x a week and the results have been incredible. I am getting compliments regularly, and I feel much much stronger than ever before. I had been doing kettlebell 3-5x a week for the past 2 years but ARX has saved me time and gotten me better results.

Here's a video of the workout that I do on the machine. It takes under 20 minutes total.

Here's a video describing why it's so much more efficient than classic weight training

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have heard about variable resistance machines over the years but have never had the opportunity to use one. The big question is, how much does it cost you to use it?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

To use the machine once a week at Golftec it costs $179 a month or roughly $45 per session. You have a trainer who runs you through the workout.

• 2 weeks later...

To use the machine once a week at Golftec it costs $179 a month or roughly $45 per session. You have a trainer who runs you through the workout.

$45 for 20 minutes, yikes

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

$45 for 20 minutes, yikes

I fear you are missing the point, the machine is great for people who don't have the time to spend 3 hours a week at the gym, they can spend $45 and get a full body workout in 20 minutes. The time savings is the value! Let me add that the workout is very very intense. The ARX guys use the example of whiskey vs. beer. You need less whiskey to get drunk than you do beer. Basically the potency of the workout is much higher so you require much less of it to see the same result.

I fear you are missing the point, the machine is great for people who don't have the time to spend 3 hours a week at the gym, they can spend $45 and get a full body workout in 20 minutes. The time savings is the value!

Let me add that the workout is very very intense. The ARX guys use the example of whiskey vs. beer. You need less whiskey to get drunk than you do beer. Basically the potency of the workout is much higher so you require much less of it to see the same result.

I don't think I missed the point, just noting its expensive.  But it would seem that you would need to do it more than once a week to get the benefit.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedrictheo

I fear you are missing the point, the machine is great for people who don't have the time to spend 3 hours a week at the gym, they can spend $45 and get a full body workout in 20 minutes. The time savings is the value!

Let me add that the workout is very very intense. The ARX guys use the example of whiskey vs. beer. You need less whiskey to get drunk than you do beer. Basically the potency of the workout is much higher so you require much less of it to see the same result.

I don't think I missed the point, just noting its expensive.  But it would seem that you would need to do it more than once a week to get the benefit.

Yeah, just 20 minutes a week doesn't seem to add up. Especially when there are so many muscle groups to work out.

• Administrator

Yeah, just 20 minutes a week doesn't seem to add up. Especially when there are so many muscle groups to work out.

You exercise your muscles to the point of muscle failure.

It takes your body about a week to recover.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You exercise your muscles to the point of muscle failure.

It takes your body about a week to recover.

I guess if you have the extra cash, $2,160 for the year.

-Jerry

It's definitely expensive, point taken. However they have plenty of people who have used the machine 1x per week and seen results. And by results I mean muscle mass gains...

It's definitely expensive, point taken. However they have plenty of people who have used the machine 1x per week and seen results. And by results I mean muscle mass gains...

You mentioned in the OP that you are using it 2X a week.. was that a typo? If not, how are you able to handle that work out twice a week?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

It's definitely expensive, point taken.

However they have plenty of people who have used the machine 1x per week and seen results. And by results I mean muscle mass gains...

The workout looks intense, definitely looks like a great workout.  The cost would be the thing that keeps me away.  I should ask my Club to buy one for our gym, wonder how much they cost. :-P

-Jerry

I have been doing it 2x a week which they recommend for the first 2-3 months because you're not able to push yourself to complete muscle failure. I have started increasing my rest to 4 days because ive seen a drop off in my numbers when I only rest 2 or 3 days. Each person needs a different amount of rest and they let the numbers determine how much you need.

I have been doing it 2x a week which they recommend for the first 2-3 months because you're not able to push yourself to complete muscle failure. I have started increasing my rest to 4 days because ive seen a drop off in my numbers when I only rest 2 or 3 days. Each person needs a different amount of rest and they let the numbers determine how much you need.

Do you get DOMS a lot? Is it tough playing golf the day after such a workout? I know whenever I do my plyometrics workout my long game goes out the window the next day.

Do you get DOMS a lot? Is it tough playing golf the day after such a workout? I know whenever I do my plyometrics workout my long game goes out the window the next day.

The first couple weeks I was ridiculously sore for several days after the workout. Now I'm sore the day of but the feel good the next day. I bet my swing speed would be down for the 2 days following a workout.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! This is my first post so I first just wanted to say hello to all!

OP: Seems like a very intriguing concept, one that definitely sparked my interest.  This is definitely along the lines of "incredibly effective at a luxurious expense".  Not saying that it isn't worth it, but like the others have said, its pricey.

As far as it relates to the golf swing? You're need for eccentric strength should roughly match your concentric strength.  When you apply a concentric force (weight shift/down swing) your body needs to have an equivalent eccentric strength to not only slow you down, but to keep you balanced as well.  But strength alone in the golf swing isn't enough, it's your ability to create power with that strength.

Consider two people bench pressing.  Person 'A' benches 315 pounds and the entire rep takes roughly 5 seconds.  Person 'B' benches just 200 pounds, but takes roughly a second to complete a rep.

Person 'A' is definitely strong no doubt, but Person 'B' has demonstrated over 3x the amount of power.  If you want, I can explain that calculation further.

The point here is that if you are working out for pure strength, this thing is a goldmine (but gold is quite expensive :-P ).  However, if you want to increase strength to help your swing, this may not be the most effective route.  A workout routine combining a progression of strength and power would be more effective.

Either way, congrats on getting stronger and making a difference in your body!  I would like to hear about how this effects your swing. Keep us posted :)

Cost also covers the trainer. Good trainers are worth this. Highly recommended to have one in any exercise done to muscle failure.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Good trainers are worth every cent.  Not all trainers are good, but once you find the right one, keep them around.  Someone who is passionate about you, your goals, and themselves will reflect in their work, your results, and everyone around them!

Note: This thread is 3319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!