IGNORED

Cleaning clubs... again

Note: This thread is 3333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks all. Speaking of cleaning. A couple of years ago I regripped my irons, wedges and hybrids. Unfortunately, unlike cleaning my club heads, I never cleaned my gips. Bad move. I play around 11 rounds a year, aside from going to the range 4 - 5 times. Could finally cleaning my grips bring any tackiness back to them?

On the course, one end of the towel is damp, the other end is dry. Wipe the face with the wet end and dry with the dry after every shot. They stay pretty clean that way, so less supplemental cleanings. When I do, I usually just use Fantastic or Purple power and a toothbrush, then rinse in cold water and dry. I will occassionally polish the irons with Mother's mag and wheel polish.

Metal woods with a painted finish get  Kit carnauba periodically. Most of the time, I play with wooden woods, so these do get cleaned and a couple of coats of Kit after every round, and the less water the better.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks all. Speaking of cleaning. A couple of years ago I regripped my irons, wedges and hybrids. Unfortunately, unlike cleaning my club heads, I never cleaned my gips. Bad move. I play around 11 rounds a year, aside from going to the range 4 - 5 times. Could finally cleaning my grips bring any tackiness back to them?

Clean them and find out. Depends on what condition they're in and what type of grips they are. Won't make them worse.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

As an aside, here's a little tip for those whose metal shafts are less than perfect with maybe some minor pitting. Get some Brasso and some #0000 steel wool (it's the finest you can get, almost like cotton candy) and apply the Brasso to the steel wool and rub up and down the shaft. Then wipe off with a microfiber cloth or something else soft. I've done this to several older clubs and they come out looking virtually new and shiny with no scratching. I do this to the clubs I sell on ebay.

- Disc Golfer

I clean them after every single shot because I just can't stand the look of any dirt on the club at address. I keep a spray bottle and nylon brush on hand.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Seems like every time I do a major cleaning I clean all the luck off! Last week scrubbed and waxed and then played like I never handled a club before.

Simple Green cut 50% with water in a spray bottle. Spray it on, use a stiff nylon bristle brush rinse again with the Simple Green and you're all set. I usually wax my hybrids, Fairway Woods and Driver with car wax to protect them (every once in a while).

I clean them after every single shot because I just can't stand the look of any dirt on the club at address. I keep a spray bottle and nylon brush on hand.

Wet a towel or the end of a towel and you can have less hassle than carrying the spray bottle.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Wet a towel or the end of a towel and you can have less hassle than carrying the spray bottle.

A towel that won't dry out after 4-5 hours on the range and course? Sorcery! Seriously though, not much beats a spray bottle on a nasty course that would otherwise cover a towel in mud in a few minutes. I think my back can handle the extra 2oz of weight.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

[quote name="trickyputt" url="/t/80760/cleaning-clubs-again/0_50#post_1117470"] Wet a towel or the end of a towel and you can have less hassle than carrying the spray bottle.

A towel that won't dry out after 4-5 hours on the range and course? Sorcery! Seriously though, not much beats a spray bottle on a nasty course that would otherwise cover a towel in mud in a few minutes. I think my back can handle the extra 2oz of weight.[/quote] I used to carry windex. It was good for grips too. The towel was my golf buddy's trick. He keeps a simple bag, and there is water on the course or he uses sparkling springs bottled water to keep his clubs pure..lol

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Seems like every time I do a major cleaning I clean all the luck off! Last week scrubbed and waxed and then played like I never handled a club before.

HAHA.  That is awesome.  I promise I am laughing with you.

When I clean, I use wet paper towels to moisten the dirt on the club head and wet the grips and I use wooden golf tees to clean the grooves (once they get wet, the tips of the tees deform to fit the groove perfectly.  Dry paper towels to...well...dry.  All this leaves them in perfect condition for the next round.  All clean with tacky grips to boot.

Regards,

Mark

Currently in the bag

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR S 10* --- Fairway: Cobra BioCell 3 and 5 Metal --- Hybrid: Nike VR 3 Hybrid
Irons: Ping i20 (4-5) , S56 (6-PW) --- Wedges: Ping Tour Gorge 52* & 56* SS --- Putter: Nike Method 004 --- Ball: Nike 20 Xi

I wipe my club heads down after every hit but still do a better cleaning at home after each game to get the leftover mud and sand from the cavity side of them.

I just give them a quick dunk in a bucket of water with a couple drops of Dawn detergent, hit them with the brush then rinse, dry and back in the bag they go.

I hate starting a new round with leftover mud from the last round. I guess I just consider it a small maintenance task. I clean my pushcart regularly too.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

Yeah, I use the scrubby side of a sponge if there's something like red paint from a driving range ball stripe, but otherwise, yeah, most everything comes off pretty easy.

I'm pathological about cleaning clubs. I'll always wind up cleaning whoever else's is in the house as well because a) I can't stand seeing people with dirty clubs and b) it's a relaxing, almost Zen thing.

Yep, I clean my clubs religiously once a week. I look forward to it because it involves several drinks. I want to be the guy who has the cleanest clubs in our group no matter  who I play with. For what my clubs cost me $. No way are they going to stay dirty very long..

• Upvote 1

Will Brasso and steel wool remove the sticky residue left behind from shaft labels?

I'd hesitate to use something that abrasive unless you don't care if you wind up scuffing your shaft. I think you're better off using some kind of solvent. Also, Will Brasso was my favorite cast member on MadTV.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!