IGNORED

Swing Speed Chart Accuracy?

GHIN0011458
Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does this match up with everyone else's swing speed and distance?

Mine, as of late is VERY different. My irons I am flushing and hitting on the sweet spot. My Driver, I am hitting slightly towards the heel but I did some drills and that is pretty much worked out, just need to bring it to the course. Right now here is where I am at though- I don't have a total distance on drives since 50 percent of my tee shots have been mud balls and on uncut fairways.

Driver Carry - 240-245; 100 MPH SS based on chart

4 Iron Carry - 205; 113-115 MPH SS based on chart

6 Iron Carry - 184; 113 MPH SS based on chart

PW Carry - 142; 115 MPH SS based on chart

Those are the discrepancies I have.

I don't trust the monitors at GolfSmith and there really is nowhere to get on a good monitor that I know of in St. Louis without getting a full out driver fitting, which I need to really do if I want to get my desired 260 Carry. Their monitors only measure ball speed and calculate the Swing Speed so if you hit it off the heel/toe you're not getting a consistent Swing Speed because the ball speed would be down.

So the question for this whole thread is do you fall pretty consistently with these numbers?

Not including mishits, yes. :smartass:

Are your discrepancies including using equivalent lofts?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not including mishits, yes.

Are your discrepancies including using equivalent lofts?

Here is a chart of my lofts: Ignore the other stuff. Are these lofts considered strong maybe?

Club Loft (deg) Lie (deg) Length (in) Hand Flex
4 24 60.75 38.50 R R,S,X
5 27 61.25 38.00 R R,S,X
6 30 61.75 37.50 R R,S,X
7 34 62.25 37.00 R R,S,X
8 38 62.75 36.50 R R,S,X
9 42 63.25 36.00 R R,S,X
PW 46 63.50 35.75 R R,S,X
GW 51

I'm not sure exactly what my driver SS is right now, but if it hasn't changed much in the last couple of years, then I should line up right at the "Senior Tour 106" level.

The driver, 3-wood and hybrid pretty much match what I'm capable of, but my irons match up almost perfectly to the "PGA Tour 113" column.  That might have a lot to do with the fact that I have irons that are +1 to +1.5 inches though.  Also, my 7-PW lofts are 1 to 1.5 degrees stronger than those averages.

So considering all of those factors, the table jives, IMO.

Here is a chart of my lofts: Ignore the other stuff. Are these lofts considered strong maybe?

Club

Loft (deg)

Lie (deg)

Length (in)

Hand

Flex

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

PW

R

R,S,X

GW

Not really.  Except for the PW, you're within 1/2 of a degree of the average lofts shown on the chart.

Does this match up with everyone else's swing speed and distance?

Mine, as of late is VERY different. My irons I am flushing and hitting on the sweet spot. My Driver, I am hitting slightly towards the heel but I did some drills and that is pretty much worked out, just need to bring it to the course. Right now here is where I am at though- I don't have a total distance on drives since 50 percent of my tee shots have been mud balls and on uncut fairways.

Driver Carry - 240-245; 100 MPH SS based on chart

4 Iron Carry - 205; 113-115 MPH SS based on chart

6 Iron Carry - 184; 113 MPH SS based on chart

PW Carry - 142; 115 MPH SS based on chart

Those are the discrepancies I have.

I don't trust the monitors at GolfSmith and there really is nowhere to get on a good monitor that I know of in St. Louis without getting a full out driver fitting, which I need to really do if I want to get my desired 260 Carry. Their monitors only measure ball speed and calculate the Swing Speed so if you hit it off the heel/toe you're not getting a consistent Swing Speed because the ball speed would be down.

So the question for this whole thread is do you fall pretty consistently with these numbers?

I think a chart like this makes a ton of assumptions and is more directional than accurate with any level of precision. My driver speed is 97-102 depending on day and swing, but my irons are about 5-6 yards longer than the 100 bracket. They're traditionally lofted (5i = 27°). Above that, it's in the ballpark, but especially driver, who knows? I'm too erratic.

Anyway, there's a ton of variables that go into this stuff. I'd use it informationally to see if you're in the ballpark, but don't sweat it too hard if you're off on it in either direction. Driver especially is just so hard to max out

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Club

Loft (deg)

Lie (deg)

Length (in)

Hand

Flex

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

R

R,S,X

PW

R

R,S,X

GW

They seem match the chart pretty well, then IDK. . .??

I found this too, and it matches perfectly:

Come to think of it, my irons are much longer than my driver, but my driver is not exactly optimal with a X100 shaft in it and all. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Maybe I deloft the club more with the irons- I have worked on that actually to get better control of the distance and the above yardages are after I made that change. Before I was hitting a 6 Iron 192.. PW 150..

Except for my driver which I know I don't hit correctly - my guess is that I come in too steep and don't get a good launch angle or have too much spin on it, yes.

My carry distances match up almost perfectly with the LPGA tour average. The question is why is my handicap so high then? Shot dispersion with my driver and selection. I need to hit the ball more consistently, make sure I really am lined up with my target, and not take so many risks on the course.

Carry distances if we don't average in my duffs and occasional hosel rockets. It should also be noted that the 3W is only used off a tee, and that I play GI cavity back irons which have stronger lofts.

3W = 210 = 13.5

5W = 200 = 17.5

3H = 185 = 19.5

4H = 175 = 22

5i = 165 = 23

6i = 153 = 26.5

7i = 142 = 30.5

8i = 133 = 35

9i = 122 = 40

P = 111 = 45

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Maybe I deloft the club more with the irons- I have worked on that actually to get better control of the distance and the above yardages are after I made that change. Before I was hitting a 6 Iron 192.. PW 150..

Better players deloft, right? So you are right with your peer group---

Just reading this thread, it seems the irons aren't the place of inconsistency, is it not your driver?

So maybe you get that driver fitting, and it then fits in with the other clubs on the chart? And you pick up a bunch of carry as well---

FWIW, I fit more or less with the chart, my newer clubs showing a little higher swing speed per the chart, my older clubs showing a lower swing speed.

Steve

Mine matches pretty well. Measured swing speed 102ish and all but the driver are awfully close. My driver carry is probably 5-10 yards short, but that's my poor contact and aoa, not the chart.....:8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Since you've been playing tournaments for a while, I would guess your flights are roughly the same as everyone else?

Maybe temperature effects? Irons seem to lose less distance (especially the short/mid ones) than woods. It's that time of year where the mornings have damp ground and 40-50F temperatures. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I always have hit my shorter clubs (PW, 9, 8) longer than the corresponding numbers for the longer clubs.

Probably just a function of my poor swing.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Hmm... Drivers seem to be a problem area. My carry distance with my driver is only 5 yds longer than my 3W. So that's something I need to work on. AOA and Launch Angle. Ironically SS measured my 3W head speed right up there with my driver, and it has a 43.5" shaft D3 vs. 45.5" D2 for the driver. Perhaps I need a refit on my driver?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Since you've been playing tournaments for a while, I would guess your flights are roughly the same as everyone else?

Maybe temperature effects? Irons seem to lose less distance (especially the short/mid ones) than woods. It's that time of year where the mornings have damp ground and 40-50F temperatures. . .

This is what I keep hoping for because right now it is frustrating to hit the ball around 240-250 with the wet conditions and typically around 55-60 degrees. I am really hoping I get some more distance when the fairways are cut, firmed up a little bit, and the air is less dense. Mentally, I feel like I have lost any distance I used to have with the driver.

This is what I keep hoping for because right now it is frustrating to hit the ball around 240-250 with the wet conditions and typically around 55-60 degrees. I am really hoping I get some more distance when the fairways are cut, firmed up a little bit, and the air is less dense. Mentally, I feel like I have lost any distance I used to have with the driver.

It sounds like you hit the driver low, and get a lot of roll. Not bad with a carry of 240 yards. Did you try to "Loft up"? Get more carry under these conditions?

I would be interested in learning something from your results. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

It sounds like you hit the driver low, and get a lot of roll. Not bad with a carry of 240 yards. Did you try to "Loft up"? Get more carry under these conditions?

I would be interested in learning something from your results. . .

I lofted up to a 12 degree but was getting the exact same ball flight with 11.25 setting on the Titleist 913. I am actually hitting it a tad higher than I did last year so that is good. I am doing a new drill with hitting up on the ball that I designed myself lol. It seems to work really good. Hitting some pop ups, but that is kind of the goal. Trying to get that AoA to +1 or 2.

I lofted up to a 12 degree but was getting the exact same ball flight with 11.25 setting on the Titleist 913. I am actually hitting it a tad higher than I did last year so that is good. I am doing a new drill with hitting up on the ball that I designed myself lol. It seems to work really good. Hitting some pop ups, but that is kind of the goal. Trying to get that AoA to +1 or 2.

What's the drill?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!