IGNORED

My Swing (Logo)

logo
Note: This thread is 3271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Swing does not look bad at all for a 1 month beginner.  Some solid stuff to build on there.

On grip, hard for me (non-teacher!) to tell from the photos, but it looks like there's some risk you're holding the club a bit too much in the palm, especially your top (right for you) hand.  And it definitely looks like you're giving the club a death grip.  Grip should be solid but not a choke hold.  Also, in general your bottom thumb should be touching the grip.  Not straight down like your top thumb, but resting on the grip touching your bottom pointer finger.

And you were definitely too upright before, but you've overdone the standing further from the ball.  The Rory pic earlier in the thread is a perfectly good model for setup body position for amount of knee flex, angle and roundedness of back, how the hands are hanging down, distance from the ball relative to height and club length, etc.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will try to get the finger down. I will also try to grip more with the fingers first, then wrap my hand around? I believe thats what I was doing the day I shot well then forgot that step. I got some feedback from evolvr as well and will incorporate all of this in and post some new videos later this week. Hopefully some other members chime in on my new vids. Also just reposting the latest videos/picture so that its at the top of the thread and not lost at the bottom of the first page:)

Driver - Ping G15 12 Degree Loft
3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
4-PW - Taylormade Burner 2.0
Putter - Ping Anser 2

My swing (help is much appreciated) - http://thesandtrap.com/t/80964/my-swing-logo

If you are with Evolvr, then you are in great hands. Just some feedback on recording your swing, make sure the camera is aimed down your toe line, not your target line on DTL shots. On FO recordings, make sure the camera is centered on you. It appears to be out ahead of you. Review this post on recording your swing . It will help us as well as the Evolvr instructors.

On your grip, it looks like you are making a fist around the grip. The grip of the club works better when it is angled in your hand along the line that runs from your wrist to pointer finger. I hope that's a good way to describe it.

Edit:

I added a few pics with a grip I keep at my desk. The first is the way it appears you are gripping the club and the second is more ideal. Not that my grip is perfect, but I think using the phrase "in your fingers" can be misleading. Both of these pics have the grip in my fingers.

- Shane

@CarlSpackler hat the second pic is ideal.  I'd call that well too much in the palm towards the pinkie side of your hand.  IMO, you'd be much closer to an ideal grip just wrapping your hand around the club starting from the first pic.  Perfect IMO would be more like taking the first pic, keeping the grip as it is in you pointer/middle fingers, moving the butt end of the club towards the nearest crease in your hand, no closer than the left edge of the grip flush with that first crease. Then wrap the rest of your hand across the grip to the right without changing the position of the grip in your fingers.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

@CarlSpackler, I'd disagree that the second pic is ideal.  I'd call that well too much in the palm towards the pinkie side of your hand.  IMO, you'd be much closer to an ideal grip just wrapping your hand around the club starting from the first pic.  Perfect IMO would be more like taking the first pic, keeping the grip as it is in you pointer/middle fingers, moving the butt end of the club towards the nearest crease in your hand, no closer than the left edge of the grip flush with that first crease. Then wrap the rest of your hand across the grip to the right without changing the position of the grip in your fingers.

I agree as well. It looks a bit to much in the palm of the hand.

Image from the thread above,

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@CarlSpackler, I'd disagree that the second pic is ideal.  I'd call that well too much in the palm towards the pinkie side of your hand.  IMO, you'd be much closer to an ideal grip just wrapping your hand around the club starting from the first pic.  Perfect IMO would be more like taking the first pic, keeping the grip as it is in you pointer/middle fingers, moving the butt end of the club towards the nearest crease in your hand, no closer than the left edge of the grip flush with that first crease. Then wrap the rest of your hand across the grip to the right without changing the position of the grip in your fingers.

I agree as well. It looks a bit to much in the palm of the hand.

Image from the thread above,

My grip isn't in the palm, I just flipped my hand over and opened it trying to show the angle that the grip should go through the hand. I don't think it came out very well. I basically want to point out that you don't want to make a fist around the grip as it appears. At any rate, I agree with the pic from Grip Thread that I linked early on.

Carry on.

- Shane

Thanks all. It looks like the weather is nice the next few days so I will work on this stuff and post some updates.

3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
Putter - Ping Anser 2

My swing (help is much appreciated) - http://thesandtrap.com/t/80964/my-swing-logo

Just finished LSW. Tons of great info in their for me. Well worth the purchase. I love reading about all the stats. I have played 2x this week and am going to the range today. My drives are 66% straight vs like 0% 2 weeks ago. I am only doing a 3/4 swing so the ball only goes 200 yards but I am happy for now with that. Now I need to start working on the 3hybrid-6iron. They are slicing and hooking a lot. I will post an updated video later this weekend.

3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
Putter - Ping Anser 2

Been out about 5 times this week. My biggest problems are my driver-5i because I hook the ball pretty consistently. My 6i-pw is nearly straight every shot. So I have two videos, each has my driver and then my 7i. Note that my drives hook and my 7i is long and straight. Also my updated grip is shown in one of the videos.

3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
Putter - Ping Anser 2

What are you working on with Evolvr?

Essentially just getting better. Keeping head down, standing the right distance from the ball, etc. Literally anything to improve.

3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
Putter - Ping Anser 2

Any suggestions based on the new videos?

Also, would you guys recommend I be playing more or at the range more? Right now I am playing 2-3 times per week and at the range maybe 1 day but I could mix that up more.

3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
Putter - Ping Anser 2

• Administrator

Generate more speed.

If you're on evolvr now, the obvious recommendation is to keep working on what they're asking of you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Also, would you guys recommend I be playing more or at the range more? Right now I am playing 2-3 times per week and at the range maybe 1 day but I could mix that up more.

2-3 times a week sounds good to me. For more practice, check this out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ok here are my updated videos. Evolvr has me working on my grip (I am weak and need to be neutral), stance (distance to ball/feet width), and making sure my back leg stretches on the shot.

3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
Putter - Ping Anser 2

So I have been comparing the last two videos I posted to other golf swings via the V1 Swing Analyzer. The one big difference I can see is that on the down swing my head seems to go forward with my body/hips instead of remaining still. Otherwise I dont see any differences. I wonder if this is why I am hooking/doing bad...or at least 1 cause. I am sure there are other things different but that is the one major one I am seeing.

3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
Putter - Ping Anser 2

• 3 weeks later...

my latest swings. focusing on stretching the back leg. I am slicing the ball like crazy.

3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
Putter - Ping Anser 2

Notice how the hips don't turn and the left knee doesn't change flex, arms can't gain depth and causes you to swing across it. Stretching the trail hip/leg means the left knee has to decrease in flex as the right gains in flex. The trail hip has to work UP and around.

Notice how the knees are changing flex and the hips are turning with this player.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!