IGNORED

Shaft Help

Note: This thread is 6858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gee, that sounds bad, "I need help with my shaft"

Seriously, i am looking at getting a pre-owned Callaway Fusion driver and there are two separate shafts, a Graph Design YS6 and a Aldila NV 65.

I haven't bought clubs in ages, so I haven't really kept up on these things. What's the word?

Great forum, BTW.

I've never used a YS6 shaft, but I have the Aldila NV in my Big Bertha. It is real stiff and has a higher kick point than the standard Callaway shaft and produces a slightly lower trajectory. If you have ample swing speed and are more interested in control, go with the Aldila. I don't hit it any farther than a regular flex driver, but can control it much better.
In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

I have a pretty high swing speed, control is the issue. With my TI Bubble If I don't hit it close to perfect the results are not so good. I am looking for a biggeer sweet spot, basically, and I have tried the Callaway and like it a lot.

Thanks.

The Aldilla shafts are very good. the low torque rating helps with control a lot I have a good Nike off the shelf driver, and a KZG with an aldilla shaft.. the feel when striking the ball is similar but the KZG hits much straighter on an off center hit..
The pro where I got the KZG said the average torque rating on an OEM graphite driver it about 4, and my Aldilla is 2.4. He said this difference alone means the ball will go 15 yards less off center on a one inch off center hit regardless of the head.
I had the same shaft put in my Nike 3 wood because I was hitting my KZG driver more accurate then the 3 wood, since I hit my 3 wood as straight as my 3 or 4 iirons.

It sounds like you might be more of a "hitter" than a "swinger," meaning you take a pretty hard cut at the ball. I think the NV suits that action better than the YS-6. Both shafts can handle plenty of swing speed, but they load/unload differently. The NV responds well to a hard swing, and has less torque, while the YS-6 is better for a smooth swinger (think Ernie Els/Fred Couples).

I don't really think there's a huge difference between the shafts distance-wise. But I think getting the one that best matches your game will help with the dispersion. If I were you, I'd try the NV. I've hit it in Callaway drivers (Fusion, 454) and it is a good match. I've never hit the YS-6 in a Callaway, so I can't speak to that combo.

Either way, good luck! The Fusion got a bad rap initially, but it is one of the most forgiving drivers I've ever hit, and it is plenty long.

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5° (Oil...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went with the Adila. I've been trying to refine my swing to be more of a swinger, and since I made some small changes I haven't been hitting the Bubble as well. I have been focusing on my hand positions, and I haven't been squaring the club very well, and the 7.5 is very unforgiving, plus it is old so the sweet spot is much smaller than newer clubs.

Thanks for your help!

I have a lot of sucess with grafaoloy! Try them
Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

• 3 weeks later...
This is more for the sake of discussion than anything, but I'm wondering if my regular-flex shafts have instantly become obsolete with my new swing. I'll need to get in to check my swing speed by I feel like I'm spraying the ball with this higher swing speed. My pro redirected my swing path and it has brought my swingspeed up a lot. I tested this out by using a friends stiff-flex shaft and I seemed to control it better.

I'm playing the 905T 10.5 with a Graffaloy Blue R-Flex. Do I need to:
A) keep practicing, my equipment is just fine
B) keep practicing and look for a stiffer flex shaft
C) seek mental help, cause you got issues

Peace

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I have a fairly high swing speed, or so ive been told. I would say your equipment is ok, but it would probably be wise to look for a good quality stiff shaft. So I guess im going with "B".

In the Bag:

Wilson Fat Boy Driver
Callaway Steelhead 3 & 5 Wood (Steel Shaft)
3 & 5-SW Callaway X-1452 degree WedgeAdams Golf 60 Degree WedgePing B60 PutterOther Optional Clubs:Callaway Steelhead 1 WoodCleveland 60 degree wedgeAdams Golf 56 Degree WedgesWilson Blackjack PutterBall: ...

• Administrator
A stiff shaft is always going to offer more control. Always. But the whippier the shaft, the more distance you get.

It's a matter of finding the right balance. The spot at which you get as much distance with a good amount of control.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new set. Currently I'm using callaway x-14 graphite senior flex. I'm beginning to think it's too weak and my shots are inaccurate.

I'm not sure what to get.. steel shaft vs graphite. My driver swing speed is 88, and my 5 iron is around 78 mph. I think I need a REGULAR instead of firm... what would you recommend steel vs graphite??

I'm currently looking at cleveland CG4.... anyone experienced this club?? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

• Administrator
The rule of thumb with graphite shafts in irons has always been this:

Graphite gives you greater distance, typically a higher ball-flight, but a less accurate (left and right) shot pattern.
Steel produces a tigher shot pattern, a lower ball flight, and a tad less distance.

The distance is largely due to the weight of the club, overall. Graphite shafts weigh a bit less than steel. Advances in graphite shafts lately have really tightened up the shot patterns off of graphite-shafted irons, too.

I say regular is about right. Graphite versus steel? Try a launch monitor and see what it tells you. If you don't like how they feel in steel, go for graphite.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!