IGNORED

Ant or worm hills on green- What are the options, if any?

Jackal66
Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look like earthworm casts. Cutworms don't make casts from the soil, they eat the shoots directly without processing any soil

He saw the earthworms AND another type of worm on the greens

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's a photo of a putting green in Arkansas?

Yeah, they are just now turning green. We are still getting down in the high 30's at night sometimes. We had snow 3 or 4 weeks ago. Jack

Jack

He said " they looked like earthworms. Also, A couple of fuzzy caterpillars were around."

Caterpillars are not worms. Nor do they excrete soil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvySwede

He said " they looked like earthworms. Also, A couple of fuzzy caterpillars were around."

Caterpillars are not worms. Nor do they excrete soil.

Yes but Cutworms look like caterpillars, even if their name implies otherwise.

Cutworms are soil-dwelling caterpillars of several species of moth. They are not worms of any sort.

Are you even reading this thread or my posts? Or are you being deliberately obtuse? I never implied that cutworms were actually worms nor did I imply they were responsible for the earthworms casts. I think it is pretty clear I know exactly what earthworms and cutworms are, it is part of my job.

Are you even reading this thread or my posts? Or are you being deliberately obtuse? I never implied that cutworms were actually worms nor did I imply they were responsible for the earthworms casts. I think it is pretty clear I know exactly what earthworms and cutworms are, it is part of my job.

Not obtuse but pedantic. You said they looked like caterpillars. I said they are caterpillars.

The rules significance is that a hole made by a squirrel may look like a hole made by a burrowing animal but it is not. Pedantry has its place. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvySwede

Not obtuse but pedantic. You said they looked like caterpillars. I said they are caterpillars.

The rules significance is that a hole made by a squirrel may look like a hole made by a burrowing animal but it is not. Pedantry has its place.

I said "looked like" caterpillars because nobody actually calls them caterpillars. Cutworms has a clear meaning in the golf world, and I know you like clarity.

I can't remember if the worms had fuzz on them or not. Next time up there I'll check for them.

We played 9 holes Sunday and there were only 3 or 4 mounds per green.

I'll get a pic of the critters.

Jack

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
All of the mounds are gone and the greens are healthy. I asked the greens keeper about the little mounds and bugs. He said it was some kind of bore-worm?????? Thanks for all the help on the rules for removing the mounds. Jack

Jack

Note: This thread is 3299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!