IGNORED

Ben Crane Intentionally Drives Wrong Fairway

billchao
Note: This thread is 3284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For some reason, I thought the USGA changed the rule so that only players in the group playing, as well as their caddies, could move it. I guess not. With high probability, I stand corrected.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
For some reason, I thought the USGA changed the rule so that only players in the group playing, as well as their caddies, could move it. I guess not. With high probability, I stand corrected.

Change it to "with certainty." The rule wasn't changed. It's a myth.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

With certainty, I stand corrected. I hope I remember to get this right next time it comes up. Apologies to anyone I misled.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by luu5

I am not so sure about this. Internal OB does not "look good", but other than that it is like normal OB, "you are not supposed to go there". Of course it may make course much tighter, but then play safer...

I think the USGA tries actively to discourage courses from doing this. There are other ways, such as high trees to separate the two holes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lastpick

I think that teeing your ball on a pencil is no longer legal.  There is a maximum length for a tee.  I also think that have the crowd assist you in moving a huge rock is no longer allowed.  I don't think that rock that Tiger moved would meet the current definition of loose impediment.

Correct. Tiger-moved-a-big-rock-with-help-gate caused the USGA (and R&A;) to revise the definition of loose impediment. What he did was legal when he did it.

But sometimes, that's what gets a rule changed -- a highly publicized incident where the rules don't fit together the way the rules committee intends them to. Stewart Cink's DQ a few years ago for raking sand has become a legal move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

At least it was Ben Crane.  If it was Tiger, Phil or Rory then chances are the little back-and-forth munis I like to play would become very dangerous places.  Well . .on the other hand, if more golfers started aiming for alternate fairways . .would that mean more or less balls landing in alternate fairways?  Not sure.

If it's anything like the muni players I see, maybe aiming at adjacent fairways -- especially fairways off to the left -- would improve the percent of fairways hit... that belong to the hole being played!

This decision has been in the book since before I got my first Decisions book in 1997, only instead of a rock, the decision involved a tree that was too large for the player to move by himself.  They dropped that one and replaced it with the Tiger decision because that one was causing so much controversy.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

This decision has been in the book since before I got my first Decisions book in 1997, only instead of a rock, the decision involved a tree that was too large for the player to move by himself.  They dropped that one and replaced it with the Tiger decision because that one was causing so much controversy.

Huh. So they did change something, but it wasn't the rule, it was the example in the decisions. Thanks!

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 3284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!