IGNORED

Big Break Mesquite

Ben
Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, it looked like the nerves got to him in the end. He admitted that he didn't get an aggressive enough swing on his last pitch, coming up well short of the hole.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe Nitties got axed last night... Not that many guys I can get behind anymore.... I find myself pulling for Josh, then Hiroshi... I'll probably stop watching if they both get eliminated.
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

I agree James is a good player and I thought he was going to win as well. Gerry has game though, I think he might be one of the last ones to stick around. He's too long off the tee not too.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I can't believe Nitties got axed last night... Not that many guys I can get behind anymore.... I find myself pulling for Josh, then Hiroshi... I'll probably stop watching if they both get eliminated.

Im with you there man, Josh and Hiroshi seem to be the most solid and least annoying.

Some of these guys kind of come off as major tools. Namely Brian contact, Benoit and Agent Orange. And I found myself becoming increasingly annoyed with Nitties saying "GEM!" everytime someone hit a decent shot. They call Kevin the eliminator but everyone he's pit against basically gives it away.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Im with you there man, Josh and Hiroshi seem to be the most solid and least annoying.

I cracked up at Benoit's comment about going to the 40 yard shot cause he was too lazy! Now, that's laid back.

What was Kevin smoking? He seemed pretty mellow.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

What was Kevin smoking? He seemed pretty mellow.

I noticed that about Kevin too. I thought sure he had been eliminated.

With James out, Hiroshi's looking pretty unbeatable. He's hit, what, one bad shot the entire show? (I'm thinking of his drive in the singles matches during the team challenge. Of course, he then proceeded to eagle his second ball.) I would have thought James had the best chance of beating him. Although, Josh is the only one to beat Hiroshi head-to-head in anything (in the singles matches I just mentioned.) I'm pulling for Josh and Benoit to do well. Josh's stock is up big time in the last few weeks. I know some people here don't like Benoit, but I'm a big fan of the relaxed attitude. And he reminds me of some of my college buddies.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

When it all started I thought Josh would be one of the first 3 gone, but his game has impressed me. I hope Hiroshi wins; he seems like a real class act, and I think has the best game by far on the show. With this format though, you never know. It's not like 18 holes where a bad shot can be made up for.

I'm wondering if Hiroshi will be able to avoid the elimination challenge for the entire series until the final match. That would be impressive.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Well, Josh certainly showed me a lot last week. Less of the positive affirmation stuff, and more of what looked like real confidence and belief.

Anyone watching Benoit at QSchool? Looks like he missed out on the third stage. I think he was medalist at his location of first stage.

The dude in 12th place, Darren Angel, was the superkid during my high school years. He won L.A. City 2 of 3 years.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I see Matt Every had a T8 at Dade City Florida, advancing to the final stage of Q School. Tommy 'Two Gloves" Gainey also advanced to the final stage.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

This is ridiculous. Guys hitting their 3 irons 270 yards!? Sorry. The Golf Channel and the golfers on the show think that I'm some sort of idiot or something. Last night I saw a challenge were Josh hit a 9 iron 165 yards. That's outrageous. All of these numbers are inflated. And trust me, it doesn't matter what the alttitude is. I can understand 5 or 6 yards per club but 10 to 20? Don't try to pull my leg.

So what's your explanation then? They all got together before the show started taping and decided, 'Hey guys, let's put one over on all the viewers, let's lie two clubs worth through out the show, they'll all think we're professional golfers for sure'.

A 165-yard 9-iron is about 40 yards farther than I can reliably hit my 9-iron, but the first thing that comes to my mind isn't "they're lying", it's "wow, nearly-pro golfers hit their 9-irons a long way!"

So what's your explanation then? They all got together before the show started taping and decided,

I agree with you. I tend to be on the longer side, but not crazy long, with my irons. I hit my 9 Iron from 135-145. If you add 10% for altitude that is 150-160. These guys are better than me and likely generate more club head speed and make better contact. Although 165 is a ton for a 9 iron, would we be questioning the distances if it was Charles Howell III or Sergio or any other Nationwide or PGA Tour pro? No, we would likely say "Damn they hit it a ton."

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

This is ridiculous. Guys hitting their 3 irons 270 yards!? Sorry. The Golf Channel and the golfers on the show think that I'm some sort of idiot or something. Last night I saw a challenge were Josh hit a 9 iron 165 yards. That's outrageous. All of these numbers are inflated. And trust me, it doesn't matter what the alttitude is. I can understand 5 or 6 yards per club but 10 to 20? Don't try to pull my leg.

Are you kidding? I watched Sergio Garcia hit a 9 iron 190 yards in a tournament. Considering how hot it is there and how thin the air is, a 165 yard 9 iron is nothing. Hell, in mid summer i can nuke a 9 iron 150.. im not long by any means and im at sea level.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Its not ridiculous at all. Why would they lie about it, what gain does anybody get from it?

What does it really matter? Who cares how far they hit it the only distance that matters is the distance you hit your clubs and that you know what that distance is.

Plus, guys. They're all juiced. Don't you hit the ball farther in tournaments? I do.
(Also did you notice that they all ended up short on thet challenge?)

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

Listen Norm 66, when have you ever seen a tour pro hit a 9 iron 165 yards? Every time I look in the "What's in my bag" articles in Golf Digest, the average pro says they hit a 9 iron anywhere between 135 and 145 yards. That's almost 20 yards less than what is stated on the show. You're meaning to tell me that a mini tour player as feather thin as Josh can outhit a tour pro by 20 yards in every club? Wake up! Okay, I can understand the whole fact of alttitude and what not. But come on, Common Sense dictates that these yardages are inflated. Another thing, wouldn't you think that club makers want you to think that if you buy their products you'll automatically gain 20 yards a club? It's all over the ads today. Distance is at a premium. Companies know this and they expose it to the max.
I recently attended a Nationwide tour event in Miami and when the grouo I was following came to a par 3 175 yards, a scorer told me that all the guys in the group were hitting nine irons into the green with the wind in their face. When I looked over, a player peeked into another golfers bag and signaled out to his caddie that the player teeing off was in fact using a 5 iron.
Plus, if you were on national TV wouldn't you want to make yourself look like if you could hit it a ton? Give me a break.

I don't find there distances unbelievable -- enviable, perhaps. I'm a new golfer and not particulary skilled at this point but on a no wind 75 degree day here in Indiana, I would quickly pull out my 9 iron for a 150 yard approach shot. Of course, I'd then miss left or right!

My excellent drives are 250 to 260 so it's easy to see someone like Bubba Watson (319 AVERAGE drive) hitting his 9 iron 165. I did see him use a sand wedge at 130 yards and that's something I find even more incredible.

These guys are good -- superb mechanics, the best equipment, perfectly fitted and the younger guys all seem to go pretty long with each club. Hell, Tiger hits his "stinger" 2-iron 290+ with regularity. I'm awestruck.

My Bag:

Driver: Srixon ZR-W 9.5* Graffaloy Epic 68(R)
Fairway: Wishon 949MC 16.5*
Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler DWS 20*Irons: 6-PW Mizuno MP-52. 5i Mizuno MX-23Wedges: Cleveland CG12 DSG 56/10Putter: Rife 2-Bar Hybrid

Lots of 100 yd shots are hit with PW's too guys - or even 9's when the wind is swirling (even though they can muscle a lob wedge that far- some of them). What club you hit from a given distance is not that important. I got a lot better when I started hitting 3/4 shots with my wedges. I made more birdies which I needed to start doing

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!