IGNORED

Finding the Correct Length of a Counter Balanced Putter

Note: This thread is 3248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone could help me out in my understanding of what to look for when choosing a counter balanced putter.

This will be my first real putter, all other putters I have used have been borrowed from my brother or friend. I am 6'4" and always feel that the putters I use are too short (they have been from 33" to 35"). Therefore, and with the recommendation of a good friend who played on the college golf team, I went to the store looking for 38" putters. I found a few and after narrowing it down tot he ones I liked, I discovered that they were counter balanced putters. One is the Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Dual Balance at $400 and the other is the Odyssey Works 2-Ball Versa Fang Tank at $220. After taking the cost into account I decided that I'm going to go with the Odyssey. I really like how easy it is to line up putts with the Odyssey head too.

However, I believe with counter balanced putters, you want to choke up on the shaft, correct? Therefore I was thinking that since a 38" standard putter probably fits me best, a 40" counter balanced putter would make the most sense.

Is this correct? Unfortunately I probably won't be able to find a 40" Odyssey Works Versa 2 Ball around me and therefore would order it directly from the Odyssey website. My logic is, if I naturally hold a 38" counter balanced putter as I would a 38" standard putter, then I'm eliminating the benefit of the counter weights and probably making it worse. If I get a 40" putter, I still hold it like a 38" putter in terms of how much I straighten my arms when gripping it, but I'd technically be choking up on it and therefore receiving the benefit of the counter weights.

I appreciate any information you guys can help me with. Thank you so much!

You don't need to choke down on a counter balanced putter.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is just my experience.  I use a counterbalanced putter.  I have a 100 gm weight in the end of my putter, 35" with a 420 gm head.  I really like how solid it feels.  The putter has great inertia.  Once it is on line, a pendulum stroke keeps it on line with little twist.  I am 6'1" and do not grip down on the shaft.  I grip it like a normal putter.  I used it for a while without the counter weight and prefer it with.  Without the weight and the putter did not feel as solid and balanced.  I know that some say to have the weight above the hands to fully utilize the counter balance effect, but I find that it is not necessary for me.  Your mileage may vary, but that has been my experience.  If you like the way it feels at 38", I would not be too concerned with the extra length.  Personally, I did not find it necessary.

Taylormade SLDR S Driver, 3w, 3h, 4h, 5h, 6h
Taylormade RSI 2 7i, 8i, 9i
Cleveland 46w, 52w, 56w, 60w
Acer CB2 putter
Ogio Chamber cart bag

I use a 38" counter balanced putter but place my hand on it where I'd typically grip a 34" putter so it's definitely choked down on.

I don't know if the current theory is different, but when I purchased my counter balanced putters the theory was to select a putter 3" - 4" longer than your conventional putter to maximize effect of the counter balance.

Joe Paradiso

newtogolf and tnull, thanks for your experiences!

I actually got impatient and drove to the local shop. I got lucky and they had one 38 inch Odyssey Works Tank Versa 2-Ball Fang Putter. I putted around with it where I naturally and comfortable gripped it with my hands. I enjoyed it and could see putting with it that way, but I asked an employee there about choking up or not and he said that you definitely choke up with counter balanced putters (but in the end, you do what is comfortable).

He had me hold a 35" putter and then just transfer my hands from that to the 38" putter. In terms of swinging it and hitting balls, I definitely noticed a positive difference and could tell how the counter weights worked. However, as I am 6'4", I was incredibly hunched over and uncomfortable. Therefore, I think a 40" putter would be perfect as when I naturally take the club and grip it comfortably, I will already be choked up on the shaft and getting the benefit of the counter weight.

So newtogolf, I'd have to agree that the theory still rings true for me at least. Add a few inches to a counter balanced putter to get the benefit of it.

Thanks everybody!

Note: This thread is 3248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!