IGNORED

What I learned breaking 80 for the first time

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Congrats on breaking 80. I've had two 84s in my last three rounds, and I hope the <80 is coming soon. Gotta let it happen though. I've observed similar to you with swing thoughts, and of course the importance of GIRs.

I also echo your feeling on bunkers, especially in L.A.. I played a course yesterday in Indio with nice bunkers, and I almost wasn't sure what to do. It's like, "oh, that's what a sand-not-dirt trap is."

Mind if I ask which course?

Thanks man.  I don't know what it is with bunkers.  For me there's just gray area...either they're as easy as chip just off the green, or I feel completely lost.  I'm guessing some of it's mental, because once I hit one bad shot out of a bunker, I basically have a million things going through my head the next time I have to hit one.  That and lack of practice...

Course was Braemar CC in Tarzana.  Bunkers are in decent shape there; definitely more swing problem for than the conditions.

Congratulations, that's a milestone that the vast majority of golfers never achieve! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First, like David said, congrats. Second, try putting out of the bunker. Sounds strange, but if they have a flat lip and hard sand it works. Many guys out here putt all the time. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. I, personally, don't. But, it works for a lot of guys I play with.

For me it comes down to driving. If I'm setting myself well off the tee and giving myself a shot at a GIR on every hole, I'm going to have a good opportunity to break 80 that day. My short game is decent enough to save par at a decent percentage and I can sink reasonable birdie putts here and there when I get them. My iron play isn't very good, but if I'm inside 150 yards a lot, I can knock those on as it's no surprise my proximity to the hole is greatest the shorter the approach that I have.

For me, it's a pretty simple formula for playing well. Hit the ball well tee to green, and I'm going to have a good day. If I'm not, I can get demoralized and drained by trying to hit pitches and sinking 15 foot par putts all day long. Plus, it's no secret that if one is driving it solidly, one is also avoiding the dreaded OB or hazard ball, which is no doubt critical here.

Constantine

Congrats!

I've broken 80 three times... on a par 70 course! (79, 79, 76). I've got a ton of 80-82s on a few different par 72s... ye gads!

I guess only the 76 counts!  (I don't really count the 72 on a par 67...;) )

I agree with the whole "stop thinking about your score" thing. So many times I start thinking about that - "mustn't bogey now", etc. It doesn't help at all. Just count your score at the end! :)

Nice playing @SoundandFury and thanks for sharing your thoughts. GIR is King ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Nice playing @SoundandFury and thanks for sharing your thoughts. GIR is King

Thanks @mvmac !  I have a sneaking suspicion that some backswing work I've been doing over the past few months is starting to pay off...

Note: This thread is 3256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!