IGNORED

Did Dustin make history?

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was Snead battling the yips during that time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

I think if you give Snead a career grand slam to go along with the rest of his records and he vaults into the GOAT discussion (assuming it hasn't been artificially narrowed down to Tiger and Jack).

Years are from year of first win to last win recorded.

Snead: 30 Years, 82 PGA Tour wins, 7 Majors, 1936-1965

Woods: 18 Years, 79 PGA Tour wins, 14 Majors, 1996-2013

Nicklaus: 25 years, 73 PGA Tour wins, 18 Majors, 1962-1986

Took him 5 more years than Nicklaus and 12 more years than Tiger to only get 9 and 3 more wins. He did it against weaker competition than both. Adding just one US Open doesn't vault him anywhere.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that some of it will depend on if he ends up winning a major or not. If he doesn't manage to pull it off, then it will be talked about for a long time as he was so close to a win. If he does win one (and I think he will get at least one), then I don't think you'll hear about it as much. It'll still be talked about some, but I wouldn't consider it one of the biggest blunders in golf history.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Was Snead battling the yips during that time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

I think if you give Snead a career grand slam to go along with the rest of his records and he vaults into the GOAT discussion (assuming it hasn't been artificially narrowed down to Tiger and Jack).

Years are from year of first win to last win recorded.

Snead: 30 Years, 82 PGA Tour wins, 7 Majors, 1936-1965

Woods: 18 Years, 79 PGA Tour wins, 14 Majors, 1996-2013

Nicklaus: 25 years, 73 PGA Tour wins, 18 Majors, 1962-1986

Took him 5 more years than Nicklaus and 12 more years than Tiger to only get 9 and 3 more wins. He did it against weaker competition than both. Adding just one US Open doesn't vault him anywhere.

Only if you ignore the generational break and the difference in conditions it caused.  Snead had far fewer opportunities to win majors in  his prime, because of the war and the high cost in time and money of playing in the British, than either Nicklaus or Tiger so marking him down for having far fewer majors is the exact unfairness that Jack created with his "majors are the fairest way of comparing" meme.

Look at your own list.  Due to Jack's "majors are the fairest way" standard you do not even include Hogan.  This is the perfect example of how Jack's "majors are the fairest way" was actually about the UNFAIREST way for all the players who preceded him.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

In the 1986 Masters, Tom Kite missed a ten-footer that would have forced a playoff with Jack Nicklaus. Like Dustin's putt, it died below the hole at the last moment, and it would have gone in with a firmer stroke. Nobody remembers that now, partially because Kite's blunder was less spectacular than Ballesteros snap-hooking his approach into the pond at 15 or Norman blocking an iron into the gallery at 18, and also because Kite eventually picked up his major victory. If Dustin never wins a major in his career, we'll remember this as him throwing away his best chance. If he does win, like most of us believe he will, this will become a footnote.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!