IGNORED

Tired of People Hating on the 3-iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a 3-iron? What's your handicap index?

• Yes; Single Digits
    • No; Single Digits
    • Yes; 10-18
    • No; 10-18
    • Yes; 19+
    • No; 19+

A well struck 3i is one of the most satisfying shots in golf.

This is how I felt about my two iron. Nothing like puring a 2 iron down a tight fairway, but I recently went hybrid. For a recent scramble I pulled the 3 and added a gap wedge and then played 2 rounds without the 3. I almost felt naked. Luckily I didn't need it but I did hit the gapper a couple of times. If I know that it will be windy and there is a par 3, I will put it in the bag.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

I guess we're all entitled to our opinions, after all they're a lot like armpits...everyone has 'em and they all stink

Actually, you are right...it does take proper technique to hit any long iron. I can probably only hit a decent 3-iron once for every five times I hit the hybrid. Like the metal woods and cavity back irons, these manufacturers keep coming up with ways to make the game easier. Shame on us for buying this stuff. I admit that the hybrid has allowed me to spend more time developing my short game instead of worrying so much about the long game. I haven't completely abandoned the 3 iron. I'm going to order Ping I10's soon and will be ordering 3-PW. I'll put the 3 iron in the bag on those particularly windy days.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I guess we're all entitled to our opinions, after all they're a lot like armpits...everyone has 'em and they all stink

Strange - I now find I use my 3-Iron quite a lot as originally, I couldn't it it to save my life: kept shanking tee-shot after tee-shot. Then my golf-pro pointed out 3 major flaws and I've worked on them solidly for the last 2 months.

At no point did I say, " Bah. I can't hit with this club....I'm going hybrid!" Also, it's quite a common trap to say, "I'm a golfing traditionalist - I won't use any hybrids or cavity-backs", only for someone to counter with, "so why are you using a 460cc driver?" . Thing is, if you want a brand new driver of decent quality, 460cc is pretty much all there is on the marketplace.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I use both, depending on what I'm in the mood for. The hybrid is easier, but the 3i is a lot more satisfying to me. I'm thinking of getting a 2i just to be able to have the option like i do with my 3i.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

I use both, depending on what I'm in the mood for. The hybrid is easier, but the 3i is a lot more satisfying to me. I'm thinking of getting a 2i just to be able to have the option like i do with my 3i.

The 2-Iron 'Stinger'!

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Interesting topic and good points. Funny, last year I pulled my 3 iron in favor of a hybrid and it's strange because I now hit my long irons (3 & 4) probably better than I ever have. I carry a 20 degree Cobra Baffler now and it sort of covers my 3 iron, 5 wood range and allows me to carry the extra wedge. In general though, and I've said this in other threads, I haven't had a ton of success with the hybrid. It is not the automatic club everyone makes it out to be. I miss hit it just as much as my 3 and 4 irons. Still, I think the 3 iron is a very difficult club to hit for the average golfer and for them, switching to a hybrid I'm sure has been helpful. I recently switched from a Cleveland Halo to a Cobra Baffler and am hoping I hit that hybrid a little better. However, with that said I am flat out sick of reading articles that recommend we all put a handful of hybrids in the bag. Seriously, they are all over the place! Erik mentioned people saying the 5 iron should be the longest, well, I've read ridiculous articles suggesting the 6 or even 7 iron be the longest. Yep... pull your 3, 4, 5irons and get a bunch of hybrids. C'mon, give me a break. That's what I'm sick of hearing. I understand getting one utility club but more than that I'm not so sure. I mean, if you struggle hitting long irons maybe get a 3, 4 or even 5 iron with a bigger cavity back (mixed bag). While my 3 iron remains in storage (perhaps not a permanent move) I refuse to remove the 4. I just will not go lower than that!

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I've always hit a 3 iron well and couldn't imagine life without it. I guess having to play blades growing up 25+ years ago was a good thing.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Erik mentioned people saying the 5 iron should be the longest,

That's what I mean by 'lazy' golfers or those just not wanting to learn how to hit a golf ball with a low-iron.

I mean, why not just kit your entire bag with hybrid-rescue-utilities/6-PW and be on your merry way? IMO, hybrids are for those who play maybe, 2-3 times a month and just like lowering their scores without actually learning the art of being able to hit a 3 or 4-iron correctly.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

OK, the three iron is back in the bag (after missing two rounds replaced by a gap wedge). I went to the range last night and hit it well. Then I practiced that knock-down wedge shot to cover the gap wedge distance. Now, if I can just talk myself into pulling the hybrid and putting the duece back in. Hmmmm.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Love the 3 iron, use it all the time off the tee. Don't use much off fairway - have a 19 degree rescue which does me for long approaches from tee and rough. Considering getting a 2-iron and leaving out the 3 (unless playing course with 3-iron distance par 3).

They're not for everyone, i'm not tired of people hating the 3 iron, i love standing up on the tee and hitting my 3-iron as far as their drives :p

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I don't hit my 3-iron especially well, but it's more consistent for me than the hybrids with which I've tried to replace it. It's usually a pretty safe option off the tee on a par 3 or nasty par 4, and I find it to be more versatile than hybrids on trouble shots, i.e. punching out of or under something - happens more often than I'd like .

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

I ditched the 3 iron in lieu of another wedge.

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

Looking back through Wichon's book, "The search for the perfect golf club" and he discusses the changing specs of the golf club over the years. In the 1950s, the 5 iron was 37.5 inches long and 32 degrees of loft. Saw the Celebrity Golf reruns on the Golf Channel and Hogan hits a 5 iron from 150, the gold standard in the fifties for that distance. Today the 5 iron is approaching 24 loft and 38.5 inches. Guess what, that is a 3 iron of the 50s. Wichon points out, the rule of 24/38 which is the lowest loft and longest length iron a good golfer can hit well. 3 irons and 4s are gone because they are now too long to hit over the clubs of yesteryear. I think a set with a PW at 52 degrees loft made a lot of sense, gave you a 3 iron you could actually hit with a 38.5 length.

I bought a hybrid to replace my 3 iron and quickly sold it on ebay. When the fairways get asphalt hard during an Alabama summer I often drop the 4 wood for my old 1 iron for tee shots.

Looking back through Wichon's book, "The search for the perfect golf club" and he discusses the changing specs of the golf club over the years. In the 1950s, the 5 iron was 37.5 inches long and 32 degrees of loft. Saw the Celebrity Golf reruns on the Golf Channel and Hogan hits a 5 iron from 150, the gold standard in the fifties for that distance. Today the 5 iron is approaching 24 loft and 38.5 inches. Guess what, that is a 3 iron of the 50s. Wichon points out, the rule of 24/38 which is the lowest loft and longest length iron a good golfer can hit well. 3 irons and 4s are gone because they are now too long to hit over the clubs of yesteryear. I think a set with a PW at 52 degrees loft made a lot of sense, gave you a 3 iron you could actually hit with a 38.5 length.

Well said. After looking at the irons that many of you list in your signatures, the reason that so many of you hate your 3 iron is because many of you have what amounts to a 2 iron or even a 1 iron. Due to golf club marketing and player ego, manufacturers have been de-lofting golf clubs for years. Oh, yeah you really can hit that new PW 170 yards! They de-loft all of your clubs to make you believe you can hit them longer, which makes the longer irons virtually unplayable. Then they can sell you a hybrid and a 'gap' wedge. It's ridiculous really.

Just for reference, my 1967 set of Wilson Dyna-Powers (which I still play by the way) has a PW with 52 degrees of loft. Each iron drops 4 degrees and 1/2 inch from there. The new Wilson DI7's have a 43 degree PW! Are you kidding me!! WilsonsRBest

Irons: Staff 1987 or 1967 Dyna-Power
Driver: R580
3W: Burner Bubble
5W: Quad Pro
Hybrid: Halo 3iPutter: 1955 M2

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Case in point:

it's a sign of the times i guess - more and more people playing golf worldwide, Chris Riley trying something new to get his card. Am i mad going and ordering a 2-iron?!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!