IGNORED

Tired of People Hating on the 3-iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a 3-iron? What's your handicap index?

• Yes; Single Digits
    • No; Single Digits
    • Yes; 10-18
    • No; 10-18
    • Yes; 19+
    • No; 19+

I wish I could hit a 3i, but can't. When I do it goes about the same distance as my 5i. Just got a few hybrids I hope I can hit. I am awaiting a good enough swing to put a 3i in the bag though!

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love having a 3 iron in my bag. I'll hit it from the tee, the fairway, the rough and even from a fairway bunker (if it has a low lip). When I strike it well I can carry it around 230 and have it land fairly soft making it a very useful tool.

Driver: FT5 Tour 9.5*
3 Wood: FT Tour 15*
Irons: X-Tour 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Custom Shop Studio Stainless Newport 2

To start I wish I could hit my 3 iron the distance that some on here can. It is about 205-210 for me. If I could get it out close to the 220-230 mark in the fairway I would be in perfect shape on most courses here in the city. (Most dogleg about that distance.)

With that said, I just purchased a Cleveland LDI 18* last night. I am hoping that this club will be that 210-225 type club. Something that stay will low in the Oklahoma wind, and yet some control.

975D Speeder Shaft 8.5*
TourSpoon S300 13*
LDI 18*
ISI Maroon +1 1/2" 3-SW2
Zing PutterPsalms 25:5<><

I use a hybrid, I consider it more of a 2 iron than a 3 iron. It is 19*. My 3 iron is 20.5 degrees. I carry both. So stop hate'n on the 3 iron and put it back in your bags. The hybrid is great and has a lot of uses, but so dose the 3 iron.

not a big fan for it off the tee... but I do enjoy hitting it off the fairway... was a difficult club to learn and took a vast amount of balls at the driving range but I did eventually get the hand of it to wear I can use it, I also carry a hybrid in my bag

In The Bag:
Driver: r7 460 (9.5)
Fairway Woods: r7 CGB Max (3,5)
Hybrid:r7 CGB Max
Irons:AP2Wedges:Vokey Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52/8, 56/14, 60/4)Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Balls:Pro V1x 2009

Not only is there a 3-iron in my bag, theres a 1-iron and a 2-iron too. I like long irons. I like the lower trajectory that isnt effected by the wind as much and I find that Im more accurate with irons. Besides, theres nothing more macho that when the people you are playing with pull out their 5-woods or 7-woods and miss the green and you pull out your 1 or 2-iron and with a mighty swing knock it onto the green.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I also have a 3 iron in the bag, but I really use it rarely. I'm not good enough with it yet, still need to practice a lot. Now I only use it when there is a gale force wind in the face, so the ball has to go low in order to go far.
In the bag:

Driver: R7 460 10.5*
Hybrid: Heavenwood H3 20*
Irons: AP2 3-PWWedge #1: CG12 52*Wedge #2: CG12 58*Putter: 2-ball

Look, if you don't carry a 3 iron then in my view, you are not a proper golfer. Hybrids are for the ladies and men in their 70s! You will never be a precision player using hybrids.

???????.....Laadies and men in their 70s.....???? I guess thats why a lot of pros are hitting them??? ....and they are in good shape and in their 20s and 30s...with negitive handicaps...hummmmmm? I use my 3 iron and a hybrid, it is just a useful utility wood as I see it. I like both clubs. Remember, Cobra came out with what could be called the 1st hybrid, the Baffler.

I carry a hybrid 3 iron, but I pull out the old three occasionally.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I use my 3 iron every single round I've played in the last two months.

One course in particular has some tight but short par 4's that a flush 3 iron from the tee is perfect for me.

It's a very useful club that I'll not give up.

I'm adding a hybrid, but it'll be more of a 4-5 wood replacement than anything else.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!