IGNORED

Putting - the frustration

808hacker
Note: This thread is 3197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hear this type of thing all the time but I don't know how you can accurately judge the line is correct without the right speed, the same line at different speeds could have different results, unless the putt doesn't break. I have a joke going with my buddies that whenever they leave it short it always had the right line because that's what they usually say, but if its short you'd never know how it would turn out, except if it stopped on the edge.

Touche :-)

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

When I started putting better when I first came back to golf after a decade hiatus, it was all about speed. Now I'm starting to screw up again and three putt and I know I'm overthinking it again. I always see pros saying how the biggest amateur mistake is not playing enough break and that we should miss above the hole and not below. Well, this had been horrible advice for me because I play too much break about 90% of the time. The less break I play compared to what I think, the better I do, by far. Speed and play less break than I see is a recipe for a day of 2 putts and an occasional 20 foot birdie. I have to get back to that.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing I've been wondering lately is why golfers hold their putters up in front of their faces when lining a putt up. How does that help. I tried it the other day and I felt like an idiot since I didn't find it helpful.

I been doing this routine more often I look at the butt of my putter in relation to the hole This helps me judge distance and makes me not look at the putter head I concentrate on how far the butt end of the putter move rather than the putter face The other routine that I can't get is Matt Kuchar. He bends down places his putter in the ground and picks it up just before he putts.

I spent 45 mins on the putting green last night and holy cow am I bad right now.  Even hitting 6 balls from the same spot to the same hole, I would have a huge variance in my distances.  I tried different stances, different grips, and anything else I could thing of to change it up.  I may have to accidentally break my putter in half and tell my wife I need a new one.  I have had it for over 10 years

- David -

I spent 45 mins on the putting green last night and holy cow am I bad right now.  Even hitting 6 balls from the same spot to the same hole, I would have a huge variance in my distances.  I tried different stances, different grips, and anything else I could thing of to change it up.

That might be your issue. If you constantly change something you need some time to get adjusted to it.

It could be your putter. A poorly weighted putter can cause distance control issues. You might need a heavier putter head and/or back-weighting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

That might be your issue. If you constantly change something you need some time to get adjusted to it.

It could be your putter. A poorly weighted putter can cause distance control issues. You might need a heavier putter head and/or back-weighting.

I've been putting the same way all season and it hasn't really improved so I figured I'd see if there was some magic trick that would work yesterday.  I tried the claw grip and seemed to be over powering everything.  I'll just work on my swing and chipping getting me closer to the hole then I don't have to worry about it as much.  20 yards chips shouldn't be leaving me 40 ft putts.

Can I give you my wife's number and have you tell her I need a new putter?

- David -

I've been putting the same way all season and it hasn't really improved so I figured I'd see if there was some magic trick that would work yesterday.  I tried the claw grip and seemed to be over powering everything.  I'll just work on my swing and chipping getting me closer to the hole then I don't have to worry about it as much.  20 yards chips shouldn't be leaving me 40 ft putts. Can I give you my wife's number and have you tell her I need a new putter?

Would your wife be upset at you spending like $75? Because you don't need a Scotty Cameron type putter to putt well and there are a ton of putters for under $100 at Dicks or one of those golf superstores.

Would your wife be upset at you spending like $75? Because you don't need a Scotty Cameron type putter to putt well and there are a ton of putters for under $100 at Dicks or one of those golf superstores.

No, I could get by with it.  I have an Odyssey White Hot #1 now so I figured I'd stay in the Odyssey, Ping, Taylor Made range...  I might stop at the golf shop and give some a try and see what the damage would be.

- David -

No, I could get by with it.  I have an Odyssey White Hot #1 now so I figured I'd stay in the Odyssey, Ping, Taylor Made range...  I might stop at the golf shop and give some a try and see what the damage would be.

I'm kind of sad that long putters are going away because now that I can afford one I am so curious....I've always been better staring down the line than looking in my periphery. In baseball I use a more open stance for that very reason.

:-)[quote name="Duff McGee" url="/t/83197/putting-the-frustration/54#post_1177175"] I'm kind of sad that long putters are going away because now that I can afford one I am so curious....I've always been better staring down the line than looking in my periphery. In baseball I use a more open stance for that very reason.[/quote] Long putters going away? I've got an Odyssey Arm Lock putter that I can let you have cheap. Maybe used two rounds total. :-)

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

I'm kind of sad that long putters are going away because now that I can afford one I am so curious....I've always been better staring down the line than looking in my periphery. In baseball I use a more open stance for that very reason.

Technically they aren't going away, you just can't anchor it.  If you could find away to hold the thing without anchoring, go ahead and buy one :-D I'll take your old normal length putter

- David -

Lol. All the long putters at Pro Golf Discount are like 85% off. :)

You could develop a new putting stroke.  Buy one, and hold it straight out in front of you and just rotate back and forth to swing.  Be a good shoulder workout too

- David -

Isn't it that anchored putters are only becoming illegal for professionals ?    I'm sure I read that for amateurs, it'll never be illegal to anchor.    AMIRITE ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

You could develop a new putting stroke.  Buy one, and hold it straight out in front of you and just rotate back and forth to swing.  Be a good shoulder workout too

I actually dinked around with that very thing one day lol.

• Administrator

Isn't it that anchored putters are only becoming illegal for professionals ?    I'm sure I read that for amateurs, it'll never be illegal to anchor.    AMIRITE ?

You heard wrong.

Anchoring is against the Rules of Golf as of January 1, 2016 for all (who follow the Rules of Golf).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You heard wrong.

Anchoring is against the Rules of Golf as of January 1, 2016 for all (who follow the Rules of Golf).

That means I can take a putting stance like Wie and anchor my 34" putter to my chest for the rest of the year ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!