IGNORED

Myrtle Beach Course Recommendations

CybrSlicr
Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am heading to Myrtle Beach for the last week of July for a softball tournament for my daughter and I will have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to play golf. I am looking for course recommendations for a bogey golfer - I love well landscaped courses that are challenging without being punishing. Of course, if there are any "must play" courses, I am open to those too.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------------------
In my Callaway Stand bag:

Callaway x460 10 degree - graphite stiff flex
Callaway Steelhead III 3W, 5W - graphite firm flex
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 (19*), 4 (22*), 5 (25*) - graphite stiff flex
Maltby KE4 Tour Irons 6-PW
Maltby M-Series Forged 50*, 56*, 60* Wedges
TaylorMade Rossa Putter - 33"
------------------------------------------------------

I am heading to Myrtle Beach for the last week of July for a softball tournament for my daughter and I will have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to play golf. I am looking for course recommendations for a bogey golfer - I love well landscaped courses that are challenging without being punishing. Of course, if there are any "must play" courses, I am open to those too.  Thanks in advance.

There are a bunch of regular posters on these boards who have a bunch of experience with MB courses. So you should have a good range of opinions. I've lived and played golf here for almost 20 years, so I'd be happy to answer any questions. I could give you a list of my absolute favorite courses but I'm not sure that will help you specifically. If you don't mind me asking, how far would you like to drive? There are courses that stretch 30 miles in each direction from the MB city. Also, what is your budget per round?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks MB. Here is what I think I am looking for:

One day a premiere course - around $100 or so - I have heard True Blue is a great course

One day I will be playing with family who are very high handicappers - so $50 max - suggested so far Myrtlewood Pinehills or MB National South Creek

Last day could be anything

I would prefer not drive more than 30 min - I would prefer to keep the greens fees around $50. I am also not sure what time I should be looking to play - I am used to getting up and playing at 7:00a but I hear that could be hot down there in late July. Am I better off playing 18 in the evening? Can we walk or will carts be required?

I am new to Myrtle Beach golf so I am open to any suggestions...

True Blue is a very nice course, but if you're going to drive down there, play Caledonia instead. It's much more nicely manicured, great layout, challenging without being punishing. I don't know what the rate is right now. I'm going to guess around $100-119. It's well recognized as the nicest course in this area. High handicappers, MB National West Course would be the better option. It's very wide open, it's short, and very score-able. It's also conveniently located. And usually a very reasonable price. As far as weather goes, it's going to be hot. If I were you, book the earliest tee time you can and play early morning. You can finish by noon and have the rest of the day off. The temps do not cool down much in the evening. It's still very hot and humid here at night. So playing late won't make it cooler. You will not be able to walk. Every course requires you take a cart. Which is actually kinda necessary at most courses as there are sometimes substantial distance between the green and the next tee box. Some courses are built through housing developments, etc. Final suggestion of my favorite courses: Tigers Eye Tidewater Glen Dornoch Barefoot Love Heritage

Caledonia Golf & Fish Club? $119 per person before noon, $99 per person after. Making sure I have the right place

Caledonia Golf & Fish Club? $119 per person before noon, $99 per person after. Making sure I have the right place

That's the place. Highly recommended for your premium round. It's a bit of a drive down to Pawleys. But you should really enjoy a morning round there. It's right next to True Blue that you mentioned earlier. They are sister courses.

I am definitely going to play Caledonia...

I've had recommendations for the Dunes and International World Tour - IWT sounds interesting with holes patterned after other famous holes... these courses worth playing?

I am definitely going to play Caledonia... I've had recommendations for the Dunes and International World Tour - IWT sounds interesting with holes patterned after other famous holes... these courses worth playing?

The Dunes Club is a GREAT course. It's semi-private, so sometimes tough to get on. However, there are probably tee time offered through mbn.com that can get you on there. If it's available and in your price range, I would definitely play it. World Tour is "ok". It's kinda gimmicky. It's interesting to play replica holes of Amen Corner and TPC 17, but overall, it's nothing great.

I wish I knew what people saw in the Dunes Club, it is just a "meh" course to me. But others seem to like it a lot, so don't necessarily go by me. My favorites are: Caledonia Heritage River's Edge Glen Dornoch TPC Heather Glen Tidewater Tiger's Eye Grande Dunes You also can't go wrong with any of the Barefoot, Legends or Cats courses.

I wish I knew what people saw in the Dunes Club, it is just a "meh" course to me. But others seem to like it a lot, so don't necessarily go by me. My favorites are: Caledonia Heritage River's Edge Glen Dornoch TPC Heather Glen Tidewater Tiger's Eye Grande Dunes You also can't go wrong with any of the Barefoot, Legends or Cats courses.

The above list is exactly the list I would recommend to anyone. Great collection of courses.

Where are you staying?  If you don't want to a long drive to the course, helps to know where in MB you will be staying.  If I missed you saying, my apologies.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Ocean Blvd - we were required to stay in one of the tournament specified hotels... I don't mind a 30 min drive to Caledonia...

Ocean Blvd - we were required to stay in one of the tournament specified hotels... I don't mind a 30 min drive to Caledonia...

Played Caledonia and True Blue in April, Caledonia was by far my favorite of the two.  Both courses were in great shape, Caledonia was challenging but not as painful as True Blue.

Joe Paradiso

A lot of my favorites have been mentioned. Caledonia, True Blue, but down that way I also like Heritage Club. For high handicappers and lower price you might try Possum Trot and/or Azalea Sands. They are also a short drive. Farther north, I've always loved Long Bay which is a Jack Nicklause course. I don't much care for TPC Myrtle Beach, hated Wicked Stick, and International WT. not impressed. The group I go with has been going since 1989 and I've played 2/3rds of the courses down there at various times. My group seems to like Legends with Moorland, Parkland, and Heathland but I think it has more to do with the package deal we get. Courses are above average there, but I wouldn't recommend them for your trip. Best advice I could give you is for your high handicappers, lower cost day, look at Possum Trot and Azalea Sands.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

I have only been there once and played TPC and The Witch. TPC was underwhelming and in somewhat poor condition. I really enjoyed The Witch for $50 and its beautiful natural surroundings.

- Mark

Just played the Big Cats courses in May. All four. It was a tournament. One per day.

Would not recommend them at this point. 2 of them had lost their greens. Pretty bad condition.

The other 2 were ok.

If you're dead set on playing one of them would recommend asking about the conditions before booking.

Otherwise the Barefoot landing courses were in really good shape. Played to Dye course of the 4 and was in very good shape.

Just played the Big Cats courses in May. All four. It was a tournament. One per day. Would not recommend them at this point. 2 of them had lost their greens. Pretty bad condition. The other 2 were ok.  If you're dead set on playing one of them would recommend asking about the conditions before booking. Otherwise the Barefoot landing courses were in really good shape. Played to Dye course of the 4 and was in very good shape.

I played Tigers Eye 2 weeks ago, and although it is my favorite layout, the greens were in rough shape. I'm not sure what happened up there, as that's not the norm. Tigers Eye is usually in pristine condition and Panthers Run normally has very fast slick greens in good shape.

Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!