IGNORED

Myrtle Beach Course Recommendations

CybrSlicr
Note: This thread is 3189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Its been a lot of years since I played Azalea Sands with my wife on her first 18 hole round ever. Also played it as part of our package before that. Sounds like it has deteriorated greatly since then. Looked it up on Yelp and the most recent reviews are not good at all.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Its been a lot of years since I played Azalea Sands with my wife on her first 18 hole round ever. Also played it as part of our package before that. Sounds like it has deteriorated greatly since then. Looked it up on Yelp and the most recent reviews are not good at all.

Yeah, Azalea Sands is recognized as the worst course in this area, hands down. Sorry to say.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have always considered the Barefoot courses to be well conditioned.  Personally, I do not like the Dye Course.  The layout is fine, it just look ragged to me.  All the other Barefoot courses are normally green in the summertime but the Dye courses has always looked brown and burned out...links look I guess.  Just don't like it.  I really like the Barefoot Norman course (wide fairways, well manicured, lots of sand and water).

I was going to also suggest Leopards Chase of the Big Cats courses but someone above has mentioned they are not in good shape.  I would suggest going to www.myrtlebeachgolftalk.com/forum.aspx as you can often find good info on course conditions.

Caledonia and True Blue (far south) are good choices.

On the north side, not quite as far north as the Big Cats courses, Heather Glen and Glen Dornoch are usually always in good shape.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Just a side note about Glen Dornoch. I played it Monday. Great layout, one of my favorite courses, but they recently verti-cut the greens and they are very very bumpy. Tough to putt. I would avoid it for a few weeks until they get back in shape.

I am definitely going to play Caledonia... I've had recommendations for the Dunes and International World Tour - IWT sounds interesting with holes patterned after other famous holes... these courses worth playing?

@CybrSlicr - Just an FYI - if you're playing Caledonia on Monday July 27th and need a guy to round out your foursome, I'd be happy to join and play.

Ive only been to myrtle just a couple of times, but I loved Willbrook Plantation. Probably my favorite of all the courses I've played.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Ive only been to myrtle just a couple of times, but I loved Willbrook Plantation. Probably my favorite of all the courses I've played.

That's a good call. Willbrook is sort of hidden and underrated. The 2 nines are quite different, one winding through the Spanish moss oak trees and the other 9 slightly more open. Very cool course.

The two Myrtlewood courses - Pine Hills and Palmetto -  are interesting but fun. Holes for the most part have reasonably wide fairways. Caution: don't be overly aggressive on the Par 5s. Missing dogleg bends can lead to some #*!! shots.

Also consider Myrtle Beach National - South Creek course. This course has men's tees just over 6,000 yards and rewards accuracy over raw distance.

http://www.myrtlebeachnational.com/scorecard/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I live nearby to Myrtle Beach so my recommendations for the top five courses in the area are:

Caledonia
Barefoot – love
Dunes
True Blue
TPC Myrtle Beach

Myrtle Beach National – Kings course, Tidewater, and Grande Dunes - Resort Course are also worth a mention. Enjoy them. Dan

Golfbreaks.com   -   Bespoke vacations to UK & Ireland at unbeatable prices
Email:  usasales@golfbreaks.com
Phone:  1-855-699-5853
Web:  usa.golfbreaks.com

I will be traveling to the area the week after the OP is going to be there and am looking to play 3 times myself.

I will have a car but am on vacation with my family so I would prefer to play close to where we are staying...  We are staying in Myrtle Beach SC 29575 just south of Myrtle Beach state park.

I don't carry a handicap but would estimate I am a bogey golfer.  I am looking to play 3 different times during my week long stay.

My first round will be just myself, so I am looking for a nice inexpensive fast 18 in the front part of the week.

The ideal second round would be a nice $50ish golf course for a two-some

For the last round we are really looking for a picturesque golf course.  My wife isn't a golfer but likes to pay the cart fee to ride along and take pictures of nicer courses.  It is fine to be $100+ but I would like to stay under $200.  After the last round of course we are going to be packing up and heading to Charleston so something that isn't the exact opposite direction would be preferred.

Suggestions?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I will be traveling to the area the week after the OP is going to be there and am looking to play 3 times myself.   I will have a car but am on vacation with my family so I would prefer to play close to where we are staying...  We are staying in Myrtle Beach SC 29575 just south of Myrtle Beach state park.   I don't carry a handicap but would estimate I am a bogey golfer.  I am looking to play 3 different times during my week long stay.   My first round will be just myself, so I am looking for a nice inexpensive fast 18 in the front part of the week.   The ideal second round would be a nice $50ish golf course for a two-some For the last round we are really looking for a picturesque golf course.  My wife isn't a golfer but likes to pay the cart fee to ride along and take pictures of nicer courses.  It is fine to be $100+ but I would like to stay under $200.  After the last round of course we are going to be packing up and heading to Charleston so something that isn't the exact opposite direction would be preferred.   Suggestions?

For the last round, play Caledonia. It's beautiful and on the way to Charleston. As for the first round, don't count on a nice "fast" 18 holes. It probably won't happen. The fastest you will be able to play 18 holes is probably 4 hours 30 minutes. Some options for you down by where you are staying include Indian Wells or Indigo Creek. For the 2nd round, I suggest Blackmoor. It's a great course and is down that way as well. One of my favorites. Should be around $50. Playable. Good condition. Round 1 - Indian Wells Round 2 - Blackmoor Round 3 - Caledonia

@CybrSlicr - Just an FYI - if you're playing Caledonia on Monday July 27th and need a guy to round out your foursome, I'd be happy to join and play.

Thanks for the offer - my wife and I are playing Caledonia on Monday (our one chance to get away from the kids :) )

-----------------------------------------------------
In my Callaway Stand bag:

Callaway x460 10 degree - graphite stiff flex
Callaway Steelhead III 3W, 5W - graphite firm flex
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 (19*), 4 (22*), 5 (25*) - graphite stiff flex
Maltby KE4 Tour Irons 6-PW
Maltby M-Series Forged 50*, 56*, 60* Wedges
TaylorMade Rossa Putter - 33"
------------------------------------------------------

For the last round, play Caledonia. It's beautiful and on the way to Charleston.

As for the first round, don't count on a nice "fast" 18 holes. It probably won't happen. The fastest you will be able to play 18 holes is probably 4 hours 30 minutes. Some options for you down by where you are staying include Indian Wells or Indigo Creek.

For the 2nd round, I suggest Blackmoor. It's a great course and is down that way as well. One of my favorites. Should be around $50. Playable. Good condition.

Round 1 - Indian Wells

Round 2 - Blackmoor

Round 3 - Caledonia

If you or any of the local Myrtle beach golfers is interested in joining us let me know.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

If you or any of the local Myrtle beach golfers is interested in joining us let me know.

If you let me know what days you are playing, I'd be happy to check my schedule and see if I'm available.

Thanks for the offer - my wife and I are playing Caledonia on Monday (our one chance to get away from the kids :) )

Enjoy the round. Let me know how you liked it. Just be aware that if you book a twosome (you and the wife), there is about a 90% chance they will pair up another twosome with you.

Enjoy the round. Let me know how you liked it. Just be aware that if you book a twosome (you and the wife), there is about a 90% chance they will pair up another twosome with you.

Thanks - I feel bad for that other twosome :-D

-----------------------------------------------------
In my Callaway Stand bag:

Callaway x460 10 degree - graphite stiff flex
Callaway Steelhead III 3W, 5W - graphite firm flex
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 (19*), 4 (22*), 5 (25*) - graphite stiff flex
Maltby KE4 Tour Irons 6-PW
Maltby M-Series Forged 50*, 56*, 60* Wedges
TaylorMade Rossa Putter - 33"
------------------------------------------------------

Thanks - I feel bad for that other twosome :-D

I'm assuming you got a chance to play Caledonia this morning? When you get a free moment, let me know what you thought about the course.

Have you decided on any courses or dates yet? If you are still looking for a playing partner or 2, I'd be happy to check my schedule and try to squeeze in a round of golf with you.

Note: This thread is 3189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!