IGNORED

Marking Ball While Other Ball Moving Toward It

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's quite a bit of confusion here in what seems to me  a straightforward matter.  You cannot  lift your ball in play in order to avoid a ball in motion from hitting it.    It does not matter where on the course your ball is lying nor from what part of the course the ball in motion has been played from.  See Rule 1-2 from which are derived the prohibitions in 16-1b,  24- 1b, 22-1.

Lifting your  ball in play from the path of a moving ball with intention of preventing the "collision" would result in a 2 stroke penalty.

The only obstructions you can move out of the way of a moving ball are the flagstick and items of equipment.  Your ball in play is not equipment.    I read elsewhere that Spieth had marked his ball, lifted it and put it down on the ground but I don't know if that is correct.  If he had, then there would have been no penalty for his picking it up to avoid the other ball's hitting it since a lifted ball is out of play and is equipment .  Also, Johnson would have been ok  since there is no penalty for your ball hitting your fellow competitor's equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luu5 View Post

Why would he be worried about that?

Because some were trying to apply 1-2. We shouldn't be worried about it, since 1-2 really doesn't apply, since the action is covered by another rule, which is one of the two exceptions to 1-2:

Quote:

Exceptions:

1. An action expressly permitted or expressly prohibited by another Rule is subject to that other Rule , not Rule 1-2 .

But if 1-2 were applicable, this is what it actually says:

Quote:

A player must not (i) take an action with the intent to influence the movement of a ball in play or (ii) alter physical conditions with the intent of affecting the playing of a hole.

So under 1-2, the question of Jordan's intent would be important.  This is a purely hypothetical question, since in no situation is lifting a ball not either permitted or prohibited by another rule.

But it seems to me, the natural instinct in that situation is to move one's ball to prevent it from being hit. If that's the intent, though, I'm not sure it would be a violation of 1-2. If the ball is hit, rule 18-5 says it gets replaced, so there is really no impact on the playing of the hole for that ball. For there be a potential violation of 1-2, I think you would have to believe Jordan intended to influence the movement of Dustin's ball.

Because some were trying to apply 1-2. We shouldn't be worried about it, since 1-2 really doesn't apply, since the action is covered by another rule, which is one of the two exceptions to 1-2:

I meant why Spieth would have been worried about his ball moving? In any case he get to replace it anyway.

I meant why Spieth would have been worried about his ball moving? In any case he get to replace it anyway.

Probably just instinct and worrying that he screwed up not marking his ball and getting it out of the way. Like I doubt he went through the thought process of the rules and their exceptions and just thought "Hey let me see what's over there... oh sh---!"

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Side question here,

If DJ's ball is at a complete rest, while walking up to the ball to mark it and a gust of wind moves the ball, Is he able to mark it where it came to rest originally or does he play from where the ball came to rest after the wind blew it?

Side question here,

If DJ's ball is at a complete rest, while walking up to the ball to mark it and a gust of wind moves the ball, Is he able to mark it where it came to rest originally or does he play from where the ball came to rest after the wind blew it?

He must play it from its new position.

18-1 . By Outside Agency

If a ball at rest is moved by an outside agency , there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced.

Note: It is a question of fact whether a ball has been moved by an outside agency . In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that an outside agency has moved the ball. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must play the ball as it lies or, if the ball is not found, proceed under Rule 27-1 .

**Note that wind is NOT an OA therefore the ball is not replaced.

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!