IGNORED

My Swing (mslice15)

mslice15
Note: This thread is 3113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 Months My current handicap index or average score is: 29 My typical ball flight is: straight/ slight fade(trying to hit draw) The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pushing to the right or pulling to the left [rule] Videos: [video]https://youtu.be/ltZ27NQ_5cA[/video] [rule] the embedded feature isn't working on mobile, I'll try to fix when I get access to a computer. also, sorry about the video being vertical not horizontal.

Okay, I think I have the embedding figured out. Also, i shortened the video to 50 seconds and featured only 2 of my best swings, i thought that would lighten the load for all you swing professionals out there.

Instructor Tips:

Less turn in swing- seem to come way too far back in my swing and waste energy

More 'On Plane' in the backswing -- i used to go too inside which caused me to come 'over the top'

Weight forward during backswing -- probably cant see this in this angle

Head behind ball -- probably cant see this in this angle

Right hand more on top in backswing to help promote draw ball flight

Dropped handicap down from 29 to 25 over past 3 rounds. Went out today and I could not hit a golf ball, I topped at least half my balls and the other half(if they even got off the ground) were shots I definitely hit with the sole of the club or shots where I hit way too much ground and didn't really move the ball more than 10 yards. I'm glad I haven't traded in my forgiving clubs yet. On the note of clubs I think I'm going to do a ping fitting to see exactly what specs I need.

Try to post a face on swing. Also try to get closer with those dtl swings.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

With your swing I'd soften the lower back and get the eyes down. Your weight is currently back on your heels so the posture change will clean that up and help with the pivot and hand path on the backswing.

You want the hands to work with the pivot, not away from you.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try to post a face on swing. Also try to get closer with those dtl swings. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing]http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing[/URL] With your swing I'd soften the lower back and get the eyes down. Your weight is currently back on your heels so the posture change will clean that up and help with the pivot and hand path on the backswing.  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/129233/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/129234/] [/URL] You want the hands to work with the pivot, not away from you. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/129235/] [/URL]

Walked 9 holes with my instructor today, he told we to work on the same thing with my hands, but if it's uncomfortable to try then to just go back to what I do normally since we were playing.Started topping balls left and right but when I did hit the ball solid it was a very good strike and despite playing +15 through the 9 holes in the day my instructor said my swing looks a lot better, I just need to focus on not keeping my weight too far back.

Walked 9 holes with my instructor today, he told we to work on the same thing with my hands, but if it's uncomfortable to try then to just go back to what I do normally since we were playing.

Getting the posture stuff cleaned up will make it a lot easier.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Getting the posture stuff cleaned up will make it a lot easier.

Today I'm playing a practice round before my school tryouts, so I will spend a good 40 minutes working in a mirror to try to get that down. From what you see on the down the line, is that basically all I need to work on for hitting a ball straight? I will work on drawing the ball after I hit straight.

Today I'm playing a practice round before my school tryouts, so I will spend a good 40 minutes working in a mirror to try to get that down. From what you see on the down the line, is that basically all I need to work on for hitting a ball straight? I will work on drawing the ball after I hit straight.

I'd like to see a face on view, will probably have to work on getting more weight forward on the downswing.

In terms of hitting it straight, I would work more on developing a pattern.

A Quick Word on Shaping the Ball

95% of the shots a pro plays (Tiger Woods may be one of a group of very small exceptions, and even he isn't as different as many think) are their stock shot. They don't curve much, but if a player is a drawer of the golf ball, 95% of their shots draw. It's the most reliable, dependable way to play - with a pattern.

Kenny Perry (a pronounced drawer) was playing at Doral a few years ago and someone asked him what he does with a pin on the right side of the green. He said he aimed at the flag and if his ball didn't draw, he got lucky, but otherwise he was content to have a 25-footer for birdie.

Then the person asked him what he did when the pin was on the left side of the green. "I make birdie" he said. :)

You'll get better, faster if you develop a pattern. Shaping the ball is over-rated - not even the pros do it all that often. Shaping the ball can get you out of trouble. It can be a good shot when the ball needs to be worked around an obstacle (reaching a par five in two, the tee shot on a dogleg, etc.). But if you've got a look at the flag, take the Kenny Perry approach: aim for your shot cone and play your pattern.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

I'd like to see a face on view, will probably have to work on getting more weight forward on the downswing. In terms of hitting it straight, I would work more on developing a pattern.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/61391/shaping-the-ball layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

I tried what you said with my hands today, played 18 at Whitetail Ridge. The first three holes were bad with a triple-double-single bogey combo, and so my dad gave me his clubs just so that if I screwed up I can blame his clubs. then after that I played pretty well. I finished 16 over par for a score of 87. The lowest I've ever scored.

I finished 16 over par for a score of 87. The lowest I've ever scored.

Nice!

Mike McLoughlin

I'm going to post this in this thread so I don't need to create a new one. I have a very hard time using my putter, it's some cheap Lynx putter I got for 15$ because I needed one. it worked well for a while but now that I'm getting better at reading greens I tend to notice that my strokes send the ball all over the place. Granted I do mishit the ball sometimes, I don't think this is the problem. The problem is I try to hit short putts and the ball will rocket off the face, which often makes me lessen the backswing for longer putts because I'm scared to sail them off the green. I can't control it, it's too unnatural for me. is this really a putter issue or do I need to practice with it some more?

The problem is I try to hit short putts and the ball will rocket off the face, which often makes me lessen the backswing for longer putts because I'm scared to sail them off the green. I can't control it, it's too unnatural for me. is this really a putter issue or do I need to practice with it some more?

Mike McLoughlin

Had an hour long session with a PGA instructor today. He's rebuilding my swing from the setup all the way to the follow through and it's worked wonders so far. When he sends me the video I'll show you the "Overdone Counter-Balance Drill" as he calls it. He was ingraining moving my right shoulder back to turn fully while keeping spine and hip angle equal to starting angle.

Had an hour long session with a PGA instructor today. He's rebuilding my swing from the setup all the way to the follow through and it's worked wonders so far. When he sends me the video I'll show you the "Overdone Counter-Balance Drill" as he calls it. He was ingraining moving my right shoulder back to turn fully while keeping spine and hip angle equal to starting angle.

swing change is getting really rough to work on, it's hard to ingrain this feeling. anyway, shot the worst two rounds of my life today and got cut from my high school team.

swing change is getting really rough to work on, it's hard to ingrain this feeling. anyway, shot the worst two rounds of my life today and got cut from my high school team.

That sucks, sorry to hear that.

Mike McLoughlin

Sorry to hear that. But keep your head up and keep working hard to be your best!

Worked a lot with my new instructor on keeping my backswing shorter and keeping the head from preventing my shoulder from turning. At first it was very annoying and almost hurt to do but the more tries I had, the better and less strenuous the golf swing felt.

Played today after my lesson and scored a 45 on a par 37 My lesson was on chipping, giving me a better angle of attack and a more stable body throughout the swing. Posted the last 6 rounds into my handicap and it dropped to 11. So that's cool. edit: when I submit a 9 hole score it combines the two courses and their respective pars and slopes and calculates it as 18.

Note: This thread is 3113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!